Author Topic: Hello from Alberta  (Read 1582 times)

Offline CZ Man

• Social Type
Hello from Alberta
« on: June 16, 2007, 12:48:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

My names Chris, I'm 24, Christian, Libertarian, and I currently reside in Alberta Canada. I've got dual citizenship for both the US and Canada, and I was raised in Seattle WA before moving up here in the early 90's with my family. I've been a shooter since about the age of 10 when my uncle took me out shooting for the first time. Since then I've been hooked.

Growing up in Canada and being a 'gun guy' has not been easy, but I've made the best of it. I'm good friends with fellow FSW Forum member, Herk. (Actually, he's the one who first told me about this site.) We both do a lot of shooting up here, and have worked together in the past. Like I said, I've been interested in guns since I was a kid, but mostly thats been handguns. About a year ago, Herk lent me his copy of BGB and it totally changed my outlook on shooting. I found BGB to be worth its weight in gold! It opened my eyes to a lot of things I hadn't considered, including how important battle rifles are to our freedom and libery. Boston, I tip my hat to you for writing such an amazing piece of literature. Since then I've read Molon Labe but I haven't been able to get my hands on any of Boston's other books yet.

Living in Canukistan, the most freedom I have is when I visit my relatives in the States and get to use my Utah CCW permit. We have little to no RTKBA in Canada, getting a Canadian CCW permit is unheard of and the way things are going, I don't know how much longer it will be legal to own firearms here in Canada. So packing one of my 1911's in the US for about 2 weeks a year is one of the highlights in my life right now. Herk and I recently attended an Appleseed shoot in Yakima WA where we met a bunch of great like-minded people. I even managed to score Rifleman by the second day of the class (with an M1A with iron sights).

Since that trip, I've thought more and more about moving back to my home country. The move, if and when it comes will be at least several months away, but Idaho and Wyoming are at the top of my list for potential relocations. Over the last month or so, I've read over a bunch of topics and messages on this forum to try to get up to speed with the FSW, and I thought it was finally time to introduce myself.

So FSWer's here I am,

CZ Man.

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: Hello from Alberta
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:18:24 AM »
Well howdy Chris, get packed up and get to Wyoming as soon as you can !  We need Riflemen !    Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 11:36:23 AM »
Chris,
Good to hear from you, and your interesting story. It's truly a shame about Canada the laws against guns up there.
I was just reading online this last week about the great flooding in Australia (a similar situation to Canada) and the looting going on. The poor flood victims were unable to do anything about the looters, in plain daylight, since they are nearly totally disarmed by their own gov't (for their own protection of course). Sad, very sad.

Well Chris, I guess it's a matter of priorities. What is truly important? Cost of living? Nearby family? Open space? Scenic beauty? Right to protect oneself and family? Ability to carry an open weapon around legally? Taxes? Freedom from gov't intervention? Culture? Language?

Each of us has to make our own decision by weighing all of the above (and more). Remember what Newton found many, many years ago: "An object at rest stays at rest until moved upon by a force" (or something like that). Inertia is our greatest enemy! It takes a HUGE force to get most of us to pack up and move. Otherwise we just sit there year after year thinking about it. Then many years later we all think: I shudda . . . ; I cudda . . . ; or I wudda . . .

I'll tell anyone on this forum it hasn't been easy, or cheap, to come up here. Oh, it would have certainly been easier to just move to a big town or a city. There are plenty of those in WY. But I chose perhaps the most extreme move of all, to totally undeveloped land, at the end of 8 miles of dirt road, a private road at that, 16 miles from a town of 300, 70 miles from my cardiologist, equally far to a decent sized hardware store. Sometimes I question why I moved here. I really do. But then I spend a day out on my land, or talking to other nearby FSW members, and it all becomes worthwhile. Freedom doesn't always come easily. It's all a matter of priorities.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline CZ Man

• Social Type
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:21:35 AM »
I hear ya Mac, there are quite a few things that factor into the decision. I know I want to move down to the US eventually, the only question is when. Right now I'm young and single, so I just need to focus on the career opportunities, family, friends, and of course freedom. Wyoming is definitely calling me, the only question is if I will be able to answer that call in the near future or not. Right now I just don't know. Hopefully in a few months I'll have a few more things sorted out, and will be able to reevaluate the situation.
The answer to 1984 is 1776.