Author Topic: Wyoming Restaurants  (Read 16924 times)

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Wyoming Restaurants
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »
If anyone's going to be cooking New Mexican food, please invite my wife and me!!!!

I grew up in ABQ from age 11 until I left at age 28. Met my wife there and we frequently went to a hole in the wall diner, Taco Sal's, at the corner of Eubank and Menaul for dinner out. It was cheap, homey, and good. Formica table tops and all.

It's still in operation, although Sal is passed on. We still go there whenever we're in town. Still great food.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »
Enough Lex - you're making me too hungry! Drooling on the keyboard :-) 

Mac & Brandy - we lived in ABQ from 1989 to 1995.  We loved Garduno's (spelling? it's been a while) and Los Cuates (again, spelling?) I like Stuffy's Sopapillas too.  My friends used to compliment me on my Posole, said it was very good for a gringa! LOL!

I think it'd be a splendid idea to get together and have a big NM meal! 

(sorry if we hijacked the thread Jared!)
?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 12:56:32 AM »
Hey you're talking about food so it's all good. :)

I'll mention another restaurant:

Gillette, WY
Golden Corral

Ok, this may sound weird, but I *really* like the Golden Corral! ;D  For those that don't know, it's a buffet-type restaurant, where you get new plates and refill from the food in the heater things ... kinda like Sizzler I guess, also Old Country Buffet.

Anyway, this one in Gillette is awesome.  The pot roast is excellent, the pulled pork rocks (but it's only 1 day a week I think), the mac&cheese is delish but the SHOW STOPPER is the banana pudding!  I have like 3 helpings.  :o

p.s. this reply is especially appropriate because I'm writing it from within a Perkins restaurant using their wi-fi ..... however Perkins is NOT worthy of this thread.  :D
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline Atlas Shrug

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 07:57:09 AM »
Interesting.  Golden Corral is a Raleigh NC based company.  I've been to a number of their places over the years, and my wife used to tutor the founder's son (all his schooling was via private teachers brought into the home - nice).

It's good to hear that such a place exists in WY as well.  A small bit of "home" can do wonders for a soul.....

banana pudding

Oh yes.  Basic Southern fare that is hard to beat.  I hope they server it there with meringue on top.

Only three helpings??   Piker!!   Remember, it's full of fruit, so there are no limits.   ;)
Keep your powder dry,

Atlas Shrug

"Ordnance trumps Ordinance"   -Atlas Shrug
"The only thing worth getting up tight about is your rifle sling."  -Bobcat

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »
We've enjoyed eating at Golden Corral before! Great for family's 'cause there's so much to choose from.  Perkin's I can live without.  I remember Sizzler's too - it's been a while though.  Banana pudding is just so wonderful, I think I'll have to make some soon.  ;)

?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »
bump
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline clemmac

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 05:05:59 PM »
We like the restaurant at the golf course in Hulett, Wyoming.  Winter hours are limited, they're open 1100-1500 all days except Friday and Saturday which are 1100-2000.  Longer hours during the summer season.  Cheap to moderate prices and the folks who run the place actually seem to care about what they serve  :o

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 10:23:40 PM »
If you get to Saratoga try the Wolf hotel, but you will need reservations.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• FREEDOM NOW! For the future.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »
I don't know about Norm's post, there's gadzooks of good restaurants in Laramie.  8)

Perhaps I'm one of the "college kids who don't know any better..."   ???

I can tell you this though, skip "New Great Wall" Chinese buffet, though, it's worth about $2 but you pay the full $8. Jared's action-antics saved the experience though.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

-OPTIMUS PRIME

Offline PatriotAR15

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 02:15:26 AM »
The Old Mill in Newcastle isn't world class, by any means, but they do have a solid menu (pretty good steak) and interesting historic atmosphere. It used to be a working flour mill, and I've heard it was a big lumber mill a long time ago. Not sure of the history.

They also have a bar, and a store to buy packaged beer, etc. Fair selection and the price isn't horrible either.

The whole place has recently undergone a face lift, at least outside, and is now for sale. It'll be interesting to see if it changes much after sale. I don't go in there a lot, but have eaten a few meals with FSW friends and my sister who visited from California. (She wasn't impressed, of course.... oh well.) <G>

Hey Jared,
Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't that like the FIRST restaurant I ate at with you and your friend when I first wheeled into Wyoming?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:19:44 AM by PatriotAR15 »
Happiness is a cold gun, and a warm beer... Also could use a cure for dyslexia. - Jack

Offline ScottBieser

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • I'm here! Where are the rest of you?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 07:38:43 PM »
Guadalajara's is apparently a micro-chain of Mexican restaurants with one in Casper, and now two in Cheyenne. Their newer place in Cheyenne, "Hacienda del Guadalajara," is on the main drag (Lincolnway) just a couple of blocks off Central. Good atmosphere, pleasing service, very good food. We go there once every couple of weeks.

Cheyenne also has a Japanese restaurant (can't remember the name) on Del Range Blvd, across from Target/Ross. I did eat there once, in the mid-afternoon so I can't really gauge the service. But the prices were reasonable and the food was okay.

-- Scott Bieser
Online Graphic novel: Roswell, Texas
Galllery:www.scottbieser.com
Blog: www.bigheadpress.com/TheTimeSink

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 10:00:23 PM »
If your not in to fancy or yuppyfied or franchise alley hash house joints and your in Gillette try Lula Belles for home made pie. Its on the north end of Gillette ave. by the railroad across the street from the Montgomery bar and hotel. They have a different pie each day. My favorite is Souer cream raisin, I think thats Wednesday. If you get there for breakfast order their breakfast rolls. They are smothered in caramel and all the butter you can handle and you have to have sideboards on your plate they're that big. You might have to double up on a table with a stranger but there aint no strangers at Lula Belles so just ask if the place is full and you see an empty chair, most will welcome you to a seat.
   If you love Mexican as I do go east down the hiway and find Mona's. You can't beat her Breakfast Burrito's with regular or green chili. Niether one of these places is fancy, but they really do good at what I have said. Both are Mom and Pops and there the kind I always look for for fine, real good victuals.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 12:43:36 PM »
I have another restaurant I'd like you to know about.

Its in Sundance Wyo. About a mile east on the hi way. Constructed of logs on the south side of the road, plenty of parking, good atmosphere and friendly folks serving there. If you like good old fasioned ham n' beans n' cornbread this is the place to go. They have it on a certain day and I was lucky enough to stop in there a couple times when it was that day. Damned good stuff. Caution however. You get the wind that goes with it a little later ;D ::) >:D
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline Daveasxx

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Voting Wyoming resident!
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »
http://www.medicinebow.org/virginian/

Decent food and a lot of history.  You can walk through the upper rooms of the hotel and they are as they were in the days when Owen Winster stayed there.  The whole place is very old west.  Sometimes you even see horses tied up out front.  When you walk in you feel like you just turned back the clock 100 years.  Bring your six gun and spurs.  The owners there are really down to earth folks and they serve up good ol country home cook'in.  "WHEN YOU CALL ME THAT, SMILE" --Owen Winster's The Virginian

Dave
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."? Johann W. von Goeth

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »
I have another restaurant I'd like you to know about.

Its in Sundance Wyo. About a mile east on the hi way. Constructed of logs on the south side of the road, plenty of parking, good atmosphere and friendly folks serving there. If you like good old fasioned ham n' beans n' cornbread this is the place to go. They have it on a certain day and I was lucky enough to stop in there a couple times when it was that day. Damned good stuff. Caution however. You get the wind that goes with it a little later ;D ::) >:D

Hideaway Log Cabin is no more unfortunately.  It is now a laundromat and tanning salon.