Author Topic: Wyoming Restaurants  (Read 16922 times)

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
Wyoming Restaurants
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »
Thought we could use a thread on some of the neat restaurants in Wyoming.

From another thread:
"If it's great burgers you be looking for, try Butch's in Kirby, or the cowboy bar in Meteetse. Both serve buffalo burgers and they are equally terrific.  The cowboy bar is very interesting, it has changed very little since Butch Cassidy was arrested there in 1894. "

I'd like to mention Los Agaves in Sheridan.  I had to take a picture of their menu -- it was too great! ;D
Check this out:

It's a "MAP" -- "Menu Adapted to your Preferences" ... a flow chart to help you decide what to eat :) -- I've never seen something like this in a restaurant before!

They've also got over 20 tequilas:

and make a heckuva margarita!

Good food, fast service, etc. etc.  It's right on the main drag on the west side of the street.  "Can't miss it" as they say.

"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
Re: Wyoming Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
The Cowboy also makes great pizzas. 

We have found very few restaurants in Wy that we'd care to revisit so if you know of some good ones please share that info. 
?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

Offline Brandy

• Submissive in totality to one only.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:47:46 PM »
My votes go to three local places in Glenrock.

1st---The Paisley Shawl--wow, the food was amazing.  I had Pistachio Encrusted Chicken in Plum Sauce and Shawn had Blue Cheese Stuffed Filet Mignon.  It is very expensive--They also make really excellent hamburgers.

2nd--Fort Diablo--it is also kinda pricey but its a rustic cowboy bar too.  Steaks, shrimp, crablegs, buffalo...........................

3rd--The Classic--decent burgers and really excellent pizza, not greasy and generous on the toppings!

Haven't found anywhere yet in Casper that just knocked our socks off!

Brandy  ~W~

Veritas numquam perit - Truth never perishes!

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »
Zapata's in Cody

Found it while looking up motorcycle stuff -- a German adventure rider compared it quite favorably to his Mexican restaurant of choice in Frankfurt! :)  Of their margarita: "well balanced taste, sweet sour with a bias toward the sweet, the consistency of the the ice: perfect (slushy snow). The presentation: attractive." and the food: "The Chilis Rellenos I had as a meal and the salsa for the chips were an equally close match for my ?reference restaurant? in Frankfurt, Germany."

Paul and/or Kim, have you been there?
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »
> Haven't found anywhere yet in Casper that just knocked our socks off!

I like Eggington's quite a bit, and Wonder Bar is good too.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:46:21 AM »
The Old Mill in Newcastle isn't world class, by any means, but they do have a solid menu (pretty good steak) and interesting historic atmosphere. It used to be a working flour mill, and I've heard it was a big lumber mill a long time ago. Not sure of the history.

They also have a bar, and a store to buy packaged beer, etc. Fair selection and the price isn't horrible either.

The whole place has recently undergone a face lift, at least outside, and is now for sale. It'll be interesting to see if it changes much after sale. I don't go in there a lot, but have eaten a few meals with FSW friends and my sister who visited from California. (She wasn't impressed, of course.... oh well.) <G>
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 08:07:06 AM »
I am looking for the review of the resturant that lunghd and I saw in Rock River. You have to know the place "Weiners and Things"   (I am holding my sides laughing so hard)
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »
Paul and/or Kim, have you been there?

<sniff> They are the competition.  ;)

My wife owns two restaurants; the Bill Cody Ranch has a good cook this year and is getting a lot of non-ranch traffic, and the Buffalo Company is doing well with its' healthy/less-filling and somewhat exotic buffalo, elk, antelope and venison dishes. A lot of older folk and retirees visit Cody and they can do without the usual gut-bomb...  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:58:15 AM »
The Old Mill in Newcastle isn't world class, by any means, but they do have a solid menu (pretty good steak) and interesting historic atmosphere. It used to be a working flour mill, and I've heard it was a big lumber mill a long time ago. Not sure of the history.

They also have a bar, and a store to buy packaged beer, etc. Fair selection and the price isn't horrible either.
Ah yes. My wife and I became very familiar with this place.
On the recent Tour de Wyoming we arrived in Newcastle at ~1PM and ~103F after 96 miles on our bicycles.  No shade at the school at all so we spent about 5-6 hours there in the restaurant and bar since they had AC.

Food and service seemed very good.

In fact we received a free beer in the bar!  Never had that happen before.  The bartender accidentally opened the wrong beer for another customer that happened to be exactly what my wife and I were drinking.  She brought it over and offered it to us.

Gotta love a place like that!

No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 08:47:47 AM »
Ah yes. My wife and I became very familiar with this place.
On the recent Tour de Wyoming we arrived in Newcastle at ~1PM and ~103F after 96 miles on our bicycles.  No shade at the school at all so we spent about 5-6 hours there in the restaurant and bar since they had AC.

And you didn't come to see MamaLiberty?  ???  :'( 
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »
Sorry, we didn't realize you were there until we hooked up with manfromnevada and his wife at Devils Tower a couple days later.  :-[

On the upside, having spent over a week riding in that area of the state, my wife's opinion of Wyoming has undergone a radical positive transformation.  8)

She though all of Wyoming was the grasslands and prairie with continuous 30mph wind.

She loved the Black Hills area immensely, also the area around Buffalo.  There may be hope for us to move there yet.  :)

No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline biathlon

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »
       Corona Village is the only good restaurant in Laramie. Superb mexican food, service to match and fast to go orders too. The service in the rest of the dives in this town is SO BAD their only customers are the college students who don't know better.

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 01:42:49 PM »
Hey Jared, we ate their once and won't be going back.  We were lured in by their claims of New Mexican style food, hoping we'd get what we were used to in Albuquerque and Santa Fe - no way! We asked where the cook(s) got their training and it was from a woman who owned a restaurant in Arizona and in NY. It was definitely not our cup of tea.   If you aren't used to good New Mexico cuisine then you might like it but we were spoiled  ;)  DH used to be a busboy at The Shed in Santa Fe and he got to learn a lot from the cooks there.  I just got my order from the Chili Addict from Albquerque and made some very, very spicy chicken enchiladas for dinner last night - YUM-O!  It was so hot that it actually hurt my ears, LOL!  Never had that happen before. I still ate it though 'cause it was tasty.  Also got a cookbook from them so I can try some new dishes.  It's all about the sauce  ;)

The last time we were in Cody we walked by Paul's/Paul's wife's restaurant and they were quite busy - looks like a very nice place and the menu was quite tempting but we'll wait 'til the tourists go home - maybe we could go there for our anniversary  8)

The place across the street from Zapata's was pretty good but I can't remember the name.  The benefit of not having many good choices for eating dinner out is that I have become a much better cook!
?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

Offline Brandy

• Submissive in totality to one only.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 04:44:25 PM »
If you aren't used to good New Mexico cuisine then you might like it but we were spoiled

AMEN!!!!!

New Mexican food is unlike any other type--and many claim but few can really deliver!

Many we talk to around here call Stoke's canned green sauce, hot green chili----Hahahahahahahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa! ::)

Wyowoman I bet we could get together and make one he11 of a New Mexican meal!

Brandy
Veritas numquam perit - Truth never perishes!

Offline lex

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 07:25:47 PM »

" ... their claims of New Mexican style food, ..."

Apparently they're only claiming that it's the style, not the real deal, sadly.
Sorry to hear that a GermanTourist gave you a (perhaps) bumstear (steer?).  GTs
have earned skepticism around these parts - their frame of reference is, well, ....

Handmade-to-order (not batched) rellenos, diced meats and red wine and
chocolates in chile con carne, locally grown and perfectly ripened ingredients for
the open-face enchiladas, to-die-for-by-diving-into guac, blue corn chips, Negra Modelo ....

Anyone have a hankerin' for some Chimayo Red or Velarde Veritas ristras?  Fresh-roasted
Hatch?  It ain't Christmas time yet, but you can have it 'christmas' if you want.  Let me
know if you want some fresh, real fixins' as they become available this season!

A' hora, got restless-tastebuds syndrome that's going to drive me right into town to
the Shed, or Tomasitas, or Tia Sophias, or Pasquals, or El Tesoro, or Blue Corn, or
Marias, or Mariscos La Playa, or ..., or ....  So many choices, so few mealtimes per
year .... ;D

Lex  ~W~

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 07:31:22 PM by lex »
?The longer I live                the more I learn                  how little I know.?              ---William Hawkes Park

?Nature has made up her mind that       what cannot defend itself       shall not be defended.?           ---Ralph Waldo Emerson