Author Topic: FM Radio station in WY - Who wants to run one?  (Read 36581 times)

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: FM Radio station in WY - Who wants to run one?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 10:52:52 PM »
HiYa, P'ahin Nunihan,
Not an "Ex-Felon" (current status up for discussion), but would still be interested in helping out. Any idea of the effective range of a full-power FM station?
Many and varied interests - geologist, global warming/climate change antagonist, hunter, shooter, primitive weapons maker and user, mechanic (industrial & otherwise), ex-musician, archer, cowboy shooter (not at the damn cowboys - with the damn cowboys), rev-war/early settlement re-enactor, motorcycle enthusiast, cooking for guys, sewing for guys, knitting for guys, being a general nuisance, etc., etc.
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline idahobob

• Social Type
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
Start up costs for equipment can be kept down to a dull roar.

You can start on a shoestring with a low power transmitter, and from there, the sky is the limit. The only limitations are what one wants to accomplish. Internet radio and news feed, music, live programs, call-ins and transmit power.

Here's a link for advice, equipment, etc:

http://www.themicroeffect.com/index.htm

22) NOT Jim Zumbo  Embarrassed

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly concur!!!!!
How to overthrow the system: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it. -- Edward Abbey

Offline idahobob

• Social Type
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »
Start up costs for equipment can be kept down to a dull roar.

You can start on a shoestring with a low power transmitter, and from there, the sky is the limit. The only limitations are what one wants to accomplish. Internet radio and news feed, music, live programs, call-ins and transmit power.

Here's a link for advice, equipment, etc:

http://www.themicroeffect.com/index.htm

22) NOT Jim Zumbo 

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly concur!!!!!
How to overthrow the system: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it. -- Edward Abbey

Offline idahobob

• Social Type
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »
oooops  :-[

Offline P'ahin Nunihan

• FSW Associate
  • Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
Hey Big Ugly,

Range of course depends on more than just power, particularly with FM as it is mostly line-of-sight.  Antenna height is real important.  FM stations are usually much less power than the big AM stations which can blast out 50K watts.  A couple of thousand watts FM with the right antenna will get you 50 miles or more particularly outside big metro areas where there is less interference.

The biggest hurdle we've discovered is, not surprisingly, the government.  The FCC is not inclined to license any more for-profit radio stations, and the rules for non-profit broadcast radio are very restrictive.  Commenting on idahobob's post, the costs for a micro-transmitter are very inexpensive, but again FCC restrictions on both power output and antenna height mean that your effective broadcast range will be maybe a mile at best.  Not very helpful to reach an audience in Wyoming unless your programming is muley love songs.  To put together a FCC licensed radio station (keep in mind that all your plans and equipment need to be approved by the FCC) will be upwards of $100K for a modest setup.

Which is why the discussion seems to have moved toward a radio program.  Much less investment involved and plenty of radio stations looking for good programming.  More time and probably less profit potential, but still an interesting idea.

HiYa, P'ahin Nunihan,
Not an "Ex-Felon" (current status up for discussion), but would still be interested in helping out. Any idea of the effective range of a full-power FM station?
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around - Talking Heads

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 04:18:13 AM »
Seems to me the natural evolution of this idea is to get a program put together and shop it to Billings, Casper, Rapid City market radio stations.  If that is successful, either buy or propose a radio station.  That is a pretty big leap to go from a show or two to a station.  The local radio stations (AM or FM) here are always struggling to keep above water and we have about 50K+ audience potential.

If a station happens in say, Crook or Weston, it will have to be a labor of love, as getting enough advertising to sustain a station will be the tough nut to crack.  Not intending to be discouraging here, just realistic in that the market area is quite small.  It will likely take several small advertisers which is a lot more work than having a few big advertisers.

OTOH, if the existing? stations are doing a poor job, there could be some real opportunity to carve some airtime out...  or just buy the station.
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »
Those who wish to do something with this idea need to get together and plan. Realistic goals, "counting the cost," and a plan to make contacts, etc. are essential. Who will write the program? Produce it? Sell it to stations? Promote it, and how? Real people need to assume real responsibilities in real time to make this happen. Corporation? Limited partnership? Individuals without legal boundaries? What sort of organization can best reach those goals, with what money, and who doing what?

Are we ready to discuss the nitty gritty?
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

vonu

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »
I think this is a great idea.
Might be able to get some money from the Gates'.
I think Wyoming folks would listen to all sorts of music. Cowboy poetry is usually a hit.  Hunting and fishing stories might be fun.
Anything libertarian too ! Open carry stories, survival, homeschooling report, etc.
Miles

Why would you want to get money from the master cyberfascist?

vonu

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »
Before I became a truck driver in the 90's, I was a broadcast engineer in the 80's.
The nature of small town radio requires that the chief engineer either find things to do or spend one's time hiding from the problems that management and ownership won't spend the money to fix, even though they promised they would when they hired you.
So, I've done everything in commercial radio except sell commercials, and cover sports, which I consider a total waste of time, money and effort, and know almost nothing about.
I still have my General Radiotelephone License because it is for life now, but it is useless in broadcasting now that the station licensee is responsible for technical compliance, as it should be.
There is a section of the FCC rules called part 15 which has just enough wiggle room to allow for a network of totally unlicensed but legal FM radio stations, which could be feed via the Internet and, if built properly, wouldn't require any regular  maintenance attention or expense.
I floated this trial balloon in 1987 and it was promptly ignored to death.
Anyone interested in floating it again?

Offline Terminus

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »
One of my favorite places for guerilla radio equipment:

http://www.freeradio.org/index.php?pagename=store/broadcastemporium.html

Who would have thought we would witness the end of freedom in our lifetimes... The Patriot Acts, the loss of Posse Comatatus, The John Warner Defense Act, the loss of Habeus Corpus, unjust war in Iraq, Sept. 11 False Flag Attacks, just to name a few.

Offline GideonsBible

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 10:14:08 PM »
Hi Guys, names Andrew.  I am strongly considering relocating to WY.  I have over 4 years experience hosting trivia contests in Massachusetts and am very liberty oriented.  I have been told on many occasions that I have a strong deep resonating voice, I should be on radio.  I was thinking a good place to start might be a free podcast, a Free State Wyoming podcast that could be downloaded, start with a weekly program and if there is enough demand and sponsorship it could become a daily show.

Just a thought.  This is my first post on here.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »
Welcome! You just never know what sort of work you'll find here. Come visit and talk to the radio folks here. We'd love to meet you too!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »
Howdy GideonsBible, and welcome.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline ScottBieser

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • I'm here! Where are the rest of you?
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
I think Andrew has a good idea starting with a podcast. This is essentially how Free Talk Live, based in New Hampshire, got started. They still "broadcast" on the Internet (I like to listen to it while I'm drawing funnybooks) and also sell their show to something like 50 local radio stations.

This might also be of benefit as the Internet listening audiences tends to skew a bit younger than radio listeners, and I think it is a good idea generally to appeal to younger people.
-- Scott Bieser
Online Graphic novel: Roswell, Texas
Galllery:www.scottbieser.com
Blog: www.bigheadpress.com/TheTimeSink

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
I have a good friend here in the Illinois Republik that has 2 radio stations....  Essentially the programing can run full auto.  All the music and programing is either on the harddrive or comes in in a feed either live or preprogramed.   Everything right down to announcing the time and Radio station ID announcement can be fully automated fromt he computer.  I am sure it takes special radio station software but it can be done with minimal labor and from anywhere in the country to some degree............

More than that I know not...

Regards, Danl ~W~
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed