Author Topic: I know I'm not a member but...  (Read 10570 times)

Offline TreadNotUponMe

• Rather Interested
I know I'm not a member but...
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »
Can someone PLEASE update your front page?  I stopped by to see what's going on with FSW because a few of us on the FSP forum had steered a prospective member this way and was perplexed and disappointed to see that your site hasn't been updated for over a year.   :-\  A news update, any news update, would let the world know you guys aren't dead on the vine.  I know you're not because I lurk on your forums from time to time, but the impression on the front page is not good.  If I had stopped by for the first time, I would've left within 10 seconds assuming the group was defunct.

I hope these criticisms can be taken in the spirit in which they're given. 

Molon Labe!  ~W~

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: I know I'm not a member but...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »
Many of us have been crying about the same thing for a long time. Those who have the power to do something about it are aware... I don't know how much more we can do, but I'll gripe about it again myself.

Thanks for saying something. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »
An FSWer has volunteered to take on the matter,
and today I've PMed him and our current webmistress
for them to confab.

I.e., it's in the works.

Thanks for the post!

Boston

Offline TreadNotUponMe

• Rather Interested
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »
Good to know.

Stepping further out of line here, I think a little decentralization would go a long way, especially as Boston gets more busy with his other exploits.  The canceling of the FSW Jam was disappointing, and from what I can see, completely unnecessary since I know for a fact that there are FSW members who are willing to do the work.  Why the people who are seting up an "alternative" weren't allowed the opportunity to organize the Jam themselves is...perplexing.  :-\  I read that "Boston was too busy to organize the Jam this year" and my first thought was..."So what?!"  When the guy went on that he was organizing an alternative...<sigh>. A board of directors with shared responsibility might be a good way to go from here.  I especially think that the FSW should change its policy on disallowing people to use FSW bandwidth to post FSW banners.  The whole "bandwidth theft is theft" thing really sends the wrong message considering how messages spread person to person online through small blogs and such.  You don't want to discourage people from advertising your cause.

Ok, I've completed my out of place and inappropriate lecturing for now and will go back to lurking and keeping my fingers crossed that you FSW people bring liberty to WY faster than we can do it in NH  ;D.  You guys are awesome and I love what you're doing in the Cowboy State.  As I said in my first post, I steer people to FSW whenever NH isn't the right choice for them and pray for your success.

I hope to see an advertising blitz soon (even a bunch of people talking up the FSW on libertarian/survivalist/gun forums would would be great - and affordable).  You wouldn't believe the amount of people who want to find a good place to move after the Ron Paul campaign.  Most of them don't know about FSW so you have a great opportunity in these next 6 months or so while people are engaged.

Offline FSW Forum Administrator

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »
Getting ready for this weekend's Appleseed shoot but will address the issue of banners (at least partially) on Monday when I return. It is long past time I got the FSW logo back at the top left corner.  ;D

If Boston doesn't have a problem with it, I'll post a link here that can be used to link to the logo that used to be here on the forum and the one that was done for Radio Free Liberty (RFL). Should have enough bandwidth here at the Forum to easily handle linking to those two logos for use in sigs and such.

Speaking of RFL, I need to get the collection going again to renew our banner there. :-[

FSW Forum Admin
Thanks,
The Management

Offline FreedomFighter101

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 04:09:10 AM »
Speaking of RFL, I need to get the collection going again to renew our banner there. Embarrassed
RFL hasn't updated their website for at least the past 6 months.

Offline WiseguyThreeOne

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 06:38:31 PM »
And believe me, FF101 would know. I think he's got a complete set of their .mp3's.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:17:46 PM »
from TreadNotUponMe:
Why the people who are seting up an "alternative" weren't allowed the opportunity to organize the Jam themselves is...perplexing.
This was pretty thoroughly explained to FSWers.
While some may still disagree with me, at least they aren't perplexed about it.

It's not out of the question that an FSW crew can organize future Jams,
but I wanted folks to host an event in lieu of the 2008 Jam . . . partly
as a test run.  Unfortunately for us all, the wrong guy stepped up to do
so, and folks are only now picking up the pieces and going forward after he quit.
But, things are back on track, and I wish the June event well.

A board of directors with shared responsibility might be a good way to go from here.
Perhaps for other orgs, but I don't see such for the FSW.
My intended trend for the FSW is less responsibility, not more.
The less expected from the FSW as an org, and the more FSWers
themselves do for themselves and Wyoming, the better, IMO.

I've always had in mind a different approach than that adopted
by the FSP as far as organizational structure goes.  The FSP
grows more organized.  We grow more informal.  I've written about
this at great length throughout several posts in the FSWer boards.
In short, I believe that a point of diminishing marginal returns is
a danger regarding organizations, and that the FSP has likely
reaching that point. 

Thanks for continuing to recommend us to the non-NH free staters.
We're actively working on a revised FSW site right now, and thanks
again for jab in the side about getting it done.

I especially think that the FSW should change its policy on disallowing people to use FSW bandwidth to post FSW banners.  The whole "bandwidth theft is theft" thing really sends the wrong message
It's not (for me) so much a bandwidth theft issue, but that the FSW Forum
serves the FSW and FSWers and Wyoming . . . and not the cosmic width and
depth of the freedom movement.  That said, if somebody has an idea for an appropriate
banner, they're welcome to PM me about it.

Boston

vonu

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 12:16:25 PM »
If "the FSW Forum serves the FSW and FSWers and Wyoming . . . and not the cosmic width and depth of the freedom movement," then it's past time to reduce the space dedicated to other than FSW, FSWers, and Wyoming, don't you think?

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »
Not at all. FSW is only one part of our lives. And our people come from all over and all walks of life. Some are former statists, even! 

You can choose what you read here. So can everyone else. If you choose to limit your exposure to those things, nothing is stopping you.

We need greater freedom, not more restrictions.

vonu

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »
Considering much of what is here is deadwood, IMHO, some pruning is indicated.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »
Considering much of what is here is deadwood, IMHO, some pruning is indicated.

To put it another way... "deadwood" is in the eye of the beholder. You do your pruning and I'll do mine. We certainly don't need anyone to decide that for someone else. If it looks like "deadwood" to you, then just don't read it.

vonu

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
On the other hand, thick dead undergrowth can stifle new growth.
The sheer volume of stuff on this forum probably makes maintenance more difficult, and those guys already have their hands full. When you're up to your neck in alligators...

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
The sheer volume of stuff on this forum probably makes maintenance more difficult,
None of the posts/threads that don't interest you will cause any maintenance issues whatever.  So, not to worry.

This forum and it's current number of posts/threads is miniscule compared to other forums that I frequent.

No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 02:31:53 AM »
from vonu:
If "the FSW Forum serves the FSW and FSWers and Wyoming . . . and not the cosmic width and depth of the freedom movement," then it's past time to reduce the space dedicated to other than FSW, FSWers, and Wyoming, don't you think?

No, not really.

I think the non-Wyoming/FSW proportion is still reasonable,
and besides, threads are created/read/enlarged as per the
free reading market.

Boston