Author Topic: I Believe I May Not Be a "Wyoming Person"  (Read 11563 times)

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: I Believe I May Not Be a "Wyoming Person"
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 12:05:13 AM »
Howdy Twilights last gleaming ! I have known all sorts of Wyoming folks, with all sorts of "problems" . They do OK and survive. Pick a place where you have the assistance you need and you will be welcome. Others have said it better than I , above, no burden at all.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline cREbralFIX

• Social Type
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
Why not google up the large medical centers in Wyoming and give them a call?  Find out what support they have for your condition.  Then, increase the distance a bit and find out of those additional hospitals and clinics can handle your problem.  At that point, you'll have an idea of the distances and competencies involved.

You may even find they'll stock stuff especially for you if it's a small town with just a clinic.

Offline Twilight's Last Gleaming

• Reader
    • Random stuff from a chaotic mind
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »
After having read the responses to my original posting on this thread, and having thought about it a bit, I may have been failing a few "reality checks" about my perceived implications of the burdens of my medical condition.

I am "chained" to large cities, and I'd rather not be.

I know that Wyoming has sufficiently large cities and hospitals.
But I associate cities and freedom as being mutually exclusive.
Perhaps Wyoming's cities are a bit less repressive than cities of a similar size in other states.

Nevertheless, I am in the slow process of trying to sell my wife on the idea of Wyoming.
(I'll toss that in another post)
Who do you serve.
And who do you trust?

Offline cREbralFIX

• Social Type
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 02:53:02 PM »
After having read the responses to my original posting on this thread, and having thought about it a bit, I may have been failing a few "reality checks" about my perceived implications of the burdens of my medical condition.

Perhaps Wyoming's cities are a bit less repressive than cities of a similar size in other states.

Nevertheless, I am in the slow process of trying to sell my wife on the idea of Wyoming.

Casper is Wyoming's second largest city at 52,000 people.

That's not very many.

vonu

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 06:22:26 PM »
Gillette is Wyoming's 4th largest city, with somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000, depending on who you ask.

Offline telomerase

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
There's always NH, if you want a Free State with more facilities. NH also has the advantages of far lower tax rates, fewer gun laws, and a lot of settled-in Free Staters (including a couple of state reps, check out nhliberty.org).

In Grafton NH (where I live), even the local newspaper is run by Free Staters (and we're hoping the September issue will actually be debugged  ::))

www.graftongazette.com

But you do have to put up with lots of forests and kayaking rivers in NH... if you want total desolation, you've got to stick with Wyoming  ;D

PS this isn't to say you should move to NH if you really have a good plan to find a job in Wyoming... there's plenty of room for 50 Free State projects  ;)  But if your career or lifestyle requires more "division of labor, comparative advantage. etc.", NH is always here.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
far lower tax rates, fewer gun laws,

Not from what I've read.

We do have one thing here in Wyoming that you can't claim: Nobody from Massachusetts wants to move here...  >:D  ::)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »

If you are in central illinois you are surrounded by civilization at all times. LaSalle/Peru at one time was my
ideal for being in a cityish area without being in an actual city. Unfortunately, Illinois is also kind of dingy by my mindset.  Iowa is home, but unfortunately its a home that has become too small since I've been all over
it for too many years and seem to know people who know everyone else.

Wyoming, which I've been to all of once is the middle of nowhere beyond south dakota. It's not totally beyond all civilization, but if diesel gets up to $18 a gallon you had better have a good stash of MREs, smoked and cured wildlife, and know which farmer markets to shop. ;)

You could be hurting for a little while if civilization destabilized, or if yellowstone exploded. ;) While I mentioned that they have pretty good medical care to patch up the miners and working slobs, I forgot to mention that EMS service in the ass end of nowhere really really sucks. If you screw up and can't cover your own butt for a few hours, you might die. But then, this is the case in Iowa as well if you pick the wrong time of day/week to get hurt. :)

The police dispatcher might laugh her butt off at you if you complain about the cows mooing at odd hours of the night, or the smells from a farmer spraying pig waste all over his fields, or a neighbor dozing his property, dynamiting something, chainsawing trees, or making his own figure 8 track on ten acres and raising hell with his redneck friends on weekends.

Forget complaining to anyone about anything less than actual emergencies involving fire, death, flash floods, and tornadoes.

Freedom means you can do a lot without someone trying to say you can't do it because it annoys them, it also means you are free to be so stupid that you can get killed without someone noticing.  In a town of some size, say 12,000-60,000, forget about it, avoid chainsawing into a major arterial area on sundays and you should be fine.  ;D

But when it comes to finding that "dream house" 30 miles and two 8,000 foot passes through the mountains away from civilization, you might want to ponder over the implications just a tad.  >:D

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
While I mentioned that they have pretty good medical care to patch up the miners and working slobs, I forgot to mention that EMS service in the ass end of nowhere really really sucks. If you screw up and can't cover your own butt for a few hours, you might die.

I am wondering just what you mean by that.  In our town of Hulett of maybe five hundred people, we have two ambulances and enough volunteers for both of them.  The time from a dispatch call to an ambulance rolling is typically two or three minutes.  We have two EMT-I's and a couple more of us are planning to take the "I" course this fall.  In addition, some of our volunteer firemen also have BEC or EMT training.

For serious cases, we often call for a ALS or ACLS intercept from Sundance, or LifeFlight helicopter from Rapid City if prudent.  Flight time to Rapid City is about a half hour, and their crew has two full paramedics.  We can also call for a fixed wing (King Air) from Casper with a comparable flight time.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 10:06:51 PM »

People don't always manage to be within line of sight of a town though, so its good to understand the transition from EMS being around the corner, to EMS being there "soon" as in half an hour or worse.

Illinois is just packed with people, Wyoming is packed with... coyotes. Hungry coyotes waiting to eat your children, old people that can't get up, and unsecured garbage. Don't feed the coyotes, if you are gimpy, avoid trips to "get away from it all"  ;D

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »
Wyoming, which I've been to all of once

Michigan Escapee, you might visit a time or two more before you pontificate on what Wyoming is, or isn't.

I'm considered pretty "gimpy" by Wyoming standards, but I'm not worried about a trip outside here or up in the hills. Did I mention that I carry a .45 and know how to use it?  ;)  Have also not seen any coyotes, wolves, bears or anything more dangerous than a lone mule deer. We do have a resident mountain lion, but he's pretty shy, and has plenty of deer and rabbits to eat. He'd probably spit me out fast.

But I must agree. If anyone wants hot and cold running government "services" on tap 24/7, they might want to reconsider moving here. 
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
Nah, second and later impressions are usually wrong. They have actual research to prove that.

So my first impression is that Wyoming is huge, doesn't have a lot of people, and the coyotes will probably eat your children. Or rush them into their gang and have them eating mice before you know it.  ;D

Most of my extrapolations are based on that fact that most everything west of the missouri river is a crapshoot if you aren't used to living outside rubber room society. Its all one huge empty space where civilization is the exception rather than the rule. Omaha isn't too bad though, at least it wasn't before Iowa chased all of its sex offenders over there. Now the sheep really will have no peace.  >:D

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 08:26:10 PM »
In addition, some of our volunteer firemen also have BEC or EMT training.

They aren't "volunteers". They are part-time government employees, complete with retirement plans, unless I'm mistaken.

I looked into it at one point but decided I didn't want to be a government employee. I told my neighbor, who was a "volunteer" fireman, that if he needed help dragging hoses or something, to give me a call, but that was as "volunteer" as I wanted to get.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 09:19:34 PM »
In addition, some of our volunteer firemen also have BEC or EMT training.

They aren't "volunteers". They are part-time government employees, complete with retirement plans, unless I'm mistaken.

I think you are mistaken.  To be sure, I will ask next time it is convenient.

I will say with complete certainty that our (Hulett's) EMT's ARE volunteer, as I am one of them.

EDIT: I just asked one of the Hulett volunteer firefighters, and he confirmed that they are NOT paid.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:33:34 PM by rhodges »
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 05:40:52 AM »
Depends on the town and the budget. In Washington out on the smaller islands they have a lot of volunteer EMTs, mostly just to pick up, stabilize, and transport people across the ferry system. Given that there is a funding problem since the ferry system is no longer giving the ambulances a free ride, I'm guessing the community was only paying for gas and maintenance on the vehicles.

The system all falls down if the patient is charged for the ride, then the EMTs are providing a commercial service and will soon want to get paid, have work related health insurance, and then of course someone has to find out where the money is going to come from.

But that's Washington for you, 3-4 clumps of heavy population, and the rest of it is the boonies. I think your Loompanics guy moved his business out there, Port Townsend or some place. Bad place if civilization falls though, unless you like salmon and clothing yourself in coyote skins.  ;D

That reminds me, what exactly were people planning to do for fabric after civilization tanks ? Kinda hard to get cheap bolts of cloth from bangladesh, mexico, or china then.

Nylon and polyester last pretty long until UV and mold enzymes burn through. Hemp without serious processing is worse than nylon, wool is also pretty intensive to processes.  Will the doomsday generation be clothed in blue tarps and tyvek suits ?  :o