Author Topic: I Believe I May Not Be a "Wyoming Person"  (Read 11624 times)

Offline Twilight's Last Gleaming

• Reader
    • Random stuff from a chaotic mind
I Believe I May Not Be a "Wyoming Person"
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »
I need to bounce this off of a few people.

First and formost, I believe that I may have a Freedom/Wyoming mindset.  That isn't the issue.

I've got some medical problems that may, in my mind, cause some problems.
I've got a blood clotting disorder (the stuff wants to clot too easily) that has cause several secondary medical problems.
For the most part, this is not an apparent problem, but I am somewhat bound to cities and medical facilities for the rest of my life.

This, in my opinion, would make me a crappy Wyoming-type.

The mind, heart, and soul believe in freedom... the meat (body) probably can't take it.

Opinions?
Suggestions?
Advice?
Who do you serve.
And who do you trust?

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: I Believe I May Not Be a "Wyoming Person"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
You are the only one who knows what you want to do, and what you are prepared to go through to get there, but I'd like to share my story with you. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/mystory.htm

I was 85% disabled and too sick to get around much of the time before I came here. I am now in perfect health, gaining strength every day. There is health and healing here for you, I believe, if you want it bad enough. I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Just let me know by PM if you'd like to talk about it.

There are doctors and medical centers here too if you need them. :) Where there is a will, there is a way. 

It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline FSW Forum Administrator

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »
Why would that make you a crappy Wyoming-type person? Even if you are restricted to living in or very near a town/hospital, would you rather do that in Wyoming or where you currently are?

Joseph
Thanks,
The Management

Offline Twilight's Last Gleaming

• Reader
    • Random stuff from a chaotic mind
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »
Well, all these goblins live in my own mind, and my thoughts are this:

I get around pretty well, but I was in my best physical condition 10 years ago, and the secondary problems caused by the blood clotting disorder make it necessary to carry around a small pouch of medical supplies all the time, or at least be able to access it in a relatively short period of time.  I hate this, I see it as weakness, and after three years of this, I probably need some sort of psych counseling because of my attitudes toward my health.

I have an image of Wyoming in my mind (I've visited Wyoming a few times about 10 years ago) and since my body isn't doing 100% of what I tell it to do anymore... well, I know my shortcomings better than anyone else and I'll be the first to point out my own flaws.

So, someone that is not at 100% capacity, who can still fire a rifle and a pistol, but might get their butt kicked by a pair of girlscouts, would not be a burden in a free society?
Who do you serve.
And who do you trust?

Offline alexspartan

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »
TLG, interesting post.  I think, and I'm sure people in this forum would agree with me, that physical disabilities don't really define who you are.  Since you found these forums, I'm assuming you are as liberty-minded as we are, and are willing to take steps to securing liberty for yourself, and by extension, others.  If you are, then you are a Wyoming-Type person.  I don't have anything as serious as your health problems, but I try not to let mine get in the way.  I have asthma and arch problems in my feet, but I still do as much exercise as is safe for me (and my foot problems are improving from the exercise), and I'm still very young, so my health concerns aren't big problems, yet.  I see no reason, aside from quick access to medical facilities, why you couldn't live in Wyoming.  They do have hospitals there.

This isn't Sparta.  ;)  People with disabilities are as welcome as everyone else, and even more so if they're liberty-minded.

Besides, when TSHTF, all useful skills will be appreciated.
"Sometimes the cost of Liberty is $92 a box."

MultiCam - Turning Internet Warriors into total bad-asses since 2005.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »
How about this angle: Would it be possible for a fellow to be liberty-minded and "free" on the moon, even though he has to carry oxygen and environmental protection every time he leaves his shelter?
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »
So, someone that is not at 100% capacity ... would not be a burden in a free society?

Are you a burden where you are now? I suspect you're not, even if you might think you are. It's not a question of being in a free society, it's a question of mindset and determination to carry your own burdens, whatever they might be.  I think you're mistaking where the root of value is in a free society.  You seem to have this notion that it is a primitive, live off the land existence, where if you can't take down game with your bare hands and build your own cabin with a pocket knife, a hammer, and a mouthful of nails, that you'll go without food and shelter.

A free society is one of division of labor and free exchange of value, of self-sufficiency not as an isolated island, but as a way of living that means you provide more value than you receive.  Knowledge, wisdom, and experience are more valued in a free society than they are elsewhere. A free society is one in which the mind is the ultimate source of value, not the back.  Find a way to use your mind to provide enough value to pay for your needs, and you're not a burden to anyone, you're a boon. That's easier to do in a free society than in a nascent People's State.  Wyoming might just be the place for you to start feeling like you're really pulling your weight - the best "psych counseling" money can buy.
Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
Amen, kylben!!!

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
Mine towns, small cities, and all the rest of them have fairly good medical services. Wyoming isn't 1940s
Mexico, but you can't be willfully careless to the point where you need EMT services 24/7 avail within 6
minutes or you'll die.

Diabetics, asthmatics, people with heart arrythmias, and numerous other conditions that are fatal
if you are careless manage to live out there somehow. Needing kidney dialysis  is probably the deal
killer if you want to live in a super remote area, unless you had the big bucks for a portable machine.

A change is mindset is critical for living in rural areas as the safety net can be pretty thin, but its not
entirely non-existent. Stock up on your meds, get regular shipments setup, and pre-locate any doctors
or medical centers you might need before visiting or moving to the area.

vonu

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »
Mine towns, small cities, and all the rest of them have fairly good medical services. Wyoming isn't 1940s
Mexico, but you can't be willfully careless to the point where you need EMT services 24/7 avail within 6
minutes or you'll die.

Diabetics, asthmatics, people with heart arrythmias, and numerous other conditions that are fatal
if you are careless manage to live out there somehow. Needing kidney dialysis  is probably the deal
killer if you want to live in a super remote area, unless you had the big bucks for a portable machine.

A change is mindset is critical for living in rural areas as the safety net can be pretty thin, but its not
entirely non-existent. Stock up on your meds, get regular shipments setup, and pre-locate any doctors

Being an asthmatic since 2, I know that controlling what one breathes and eats helps control a lot.
Having half grown up in Denver, it's been proven to me. I'm much better off in Gillette, Wyoming.

vonu

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
minutes or you'll die.

Being an asthmatic since 2, I know that controlling what one breathes and eats helps control a lot.
Having half grown up in Denver, it's been proven to me. I'm much better off in Gillette, Wyoming, a mining and energy town.
It's pretty easy to be more than 6 minutes away from help in any city with traffic jams. Is there one without them?

Offline NoKnownPurpose

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
So, someone that is not at 100% capacity, who can still fire a rifle and a pistol, but might get their butt kicked by a pair of girlscouts, would not be a burden in a free society?

That is one of the best things about firearms, it evens the odds between you and the Girl Scouts...in fact I think it may give you an advantage because I don't believe the Girl Scouts teach  riflery skills.  ;)

On a more serious note - I am sure there are many good medical facilities in many areas of Wyoming.  This should make it no more a limiting factor for you than it would for a retiree or anyone needing/wanting convenient access to hospitals and doctors.  I am in generally good health but plan on staying in Wyoming permanently when I move there so these would be a similar concern for me albeit more of an anticipatory one for me.  I think MamaLiberty makes a good point on her page that finding balance and lowering stress are important ways towards improving health.  I have a feeling living in a city in Wyoming would be far less stressful than in most other states.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
I have a feeling living in a city in Wyoming would be far less stressful than in most other states.

Living away from ANY city is bound to be even less stressful.

And here is the page I think you were talking about. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/08/27/health.htm

Badly needs an update! :)

Offline NoKnownPurpose

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »
Living away from ANY city is bound to be even less stressful.

Depends.  Some people really want/need the convenience that comes with being near population centers.  Personally I live about 3 miles outside of a small (2500 people) town.  It's about a 45 min drive to Peoria where you can have all the shopping/entertainment options you want.  To me, this is the best of both worlds, I can stay out here at the house where the nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, go to town and buy basic necessities or go to Peoria and buy anything I want.  If it wasn't IL with the Chicago-driven gun laws it'd be even better.

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »
I have asthma and arch problems in my feet, but I still do as much exercise as is safe for me (and my foot problems are improving from the exercise), and I'm still very young, so my health concerns aren't big problems, yet.

Not to hijack this guy's thread, but I have similar problems.  I can work hard and do anything, but I can't stand for long stretches of time.  I am strong and competent.  Not being able to stand for long periods because of my feet are my only drawback.  That seems to limit me to very few occupations.  So, what kind of work do you do?  You don't have to be specific.  Just wanting some ideas.  In my current job, I stand about 25% of the time.  That seems to work out about right.