Author Topic: Interested in WY from out in Iowa.  (Read 9778 times)

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
Interested in WY from out in Iowa.
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »
hello,

I am originally from Texas, but moved to Iowa 9 years ago.  I was looking for a less oppressive state and came across the FSW Web site.  I was interested in the free state project, but when New Hampshire was chosen, I dropped the idea.  Well, my desire to move out west combined with the FSW project have made Wyoming the leading state.  I am 35, married and 3 children.  I am a homeschooler.  I work in electrical and electronics trades. My wife stays home with the children, therefore we have no money.  ;D

I guess first off, to convince my wife to make the move, I have to have a pretty darn good job waiting for me.  So, who's hiring and for what.  I guess I'm not extremely picky about what area of Wyoming to which I move, but I guess I'd like some scenery...something nearby at least. 

I'm just tired of taxes and taxes and laws and taxes and more laws.  I've had enough, and want the best for my family.

Offline Fran

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
    • Freshwaterorganics
Re: Interested in WY from out in Iowa.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:14:55 PM »
Pumpkin, sounds like your story is similar to most on this forum. I finally made the move to WYO this year, after 3 years of hesitation. I am now building a house and running my online business from the farm.
I don't yet have enough business to justify hiring anyone, but there are jobs out here.
Where I am, the scenery is beautiful, the land and water are good, and we are only 75 miles from Billings, where there is all the shopping you need, an airport, and no sales tax.
I'm not sure if you have the funds for a visit, but I would strongly suggest that you visit WYO before taking a job here. It is not for everyone. Most folks don't stay.
If you plan a trip here, let me know and I will try to meet with you if you come near Powell or Cody.

Fran
With earthbags, we can build dirt cheap homes that last forever
one bag at a time. Although Wyoming isn't just for dirtbags...

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:16:44 PM »
Welcome aboard pumpkihn,

Hope you find something so you can make it out. Lots of work if you know where to look. Talk with Shawn and Biathlon, they're both electricians.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:40:38 AM »
Welcome! We have quite a few transplants from Iowa and Texas. Hope they will post here to greet you.

Lots and LOTS of work of all kinds around NE Wyoming. Gillette and all of the surrounding areas are in full boom mode and skilled workers of all kinds are in high demand. The beautiful Black Hills are right here, and the water is crystal clear and delicious where I live in Newcastle.

Plan to come to our campout at the end of August so you can meet some of the FSW folks and take a good look at the country around here. Most of us here will do whatever we can to help you make it happen.

Please encourage your wife to read the forum, especially threads like these:
Womens' Views on Moving to / Living in Wyoming
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=5352.0
Making the Case for Moving to Wyoming
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?board=6.0

And encourage her to send a PM or email to FSW ladies. I'd certainly be delighted to talk to her and tell her the story of my move to Wyoming. Here is the story on my blog. http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswblogs/mamaliberty/?p=4

I'm afraid time is short... hope you can come soon.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:44:44 AM »
Pumpkihn,
Yes indeed, your story is not much different than mine. Sick of more and more laws, mostly even though they never effect me directly. It's the principle of them wanting to regulate every aspect of our lives.

I've been in Crook County (NE corner) now for 16 months or so. I love it here. I'm retired, so don't care about work, but if you look around this forum you'll see that everyone says there's plenty of work.

Re: getting gov't off your back, here in Crook County there are no zoning laws, no land use regs, no permits required for electrical work on your home, plumbing work, construction, grading, etc. I just put a house in and the only thing required was a permit from the state for the well and a permit from the state for the septic. Nothing else. The cities are a little different of course, but I see no reason to live in a town. Live outside and enjoy the freedom that comes with it.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
Check out wyomingatwork.com...137 jobs posted in Wyoming with search term "electric" ALL ONLY within the past 14 days.  Varied locales, experience needed & pay scales...

Both philosophically & employment-ally, I wish I had gone to trade school or just went into an apprenticeship in lieu of "the new American way" of debt-loaded, Collage Ed-u-cajun (at least I got out before you needed the degree to bartend or wait tables  :-\)...if only high school hadn't been so e-zzzzz...de Univer-sitah wouldn't have let me in and I would've been better off.  ;)

But now that we've found alternatives, we are currently working hard to downshift out of the corporate world and open a lot more options in "hands-on" Wyoming & the Mountain West region.  Sounds like you've already got that covered....welcome aboard.

MANUMIT

"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
Howdy Pumpkihn glad you found us. Ever been to Wyoming ?
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 06:41:57 AM »
Howdy Pumpkihn glad you found us. Ever been to Wyoming ?

I have only been from Boulder to Cheyenne to get on I-80 and go east.  So, not really.  I've spend a fair amount of time in the Colorado Rockies.  Leadville, Buena Vista area. 

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:42:45 AM »

What does that mean?  Are we all gonna die?!?!?!?  :)

Offline raginabr

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »
Hi!  I am the wife of Pumpkihn.  He asked that I take a look at this website and give the idea some consideration.  So that is what I am doing.  I am not nearly as devoted to the idea of moving to Wyoming as my husband is.  But since he moved to Iowa for me, I am willing to consider the idea. 

As Pumpkihn stated, I am the stay at home mother of three children (7, 5, & 1) plus anywhere from 1 to 4 extra children that I babysit.  I do not particularly enjoy babysitting other peoples children and look forward to the time when I do not have to do so.  We are starting to homeschool our children this fall and so I have spent many hours researching all this will entail.  I also have a small business that I run out of a local farmers' market.  I have enjoyed (mostly) this endeavor.  I was recently asked to help with the weekly emails and press releases  and have discovered that sending out emails to 2500 people is a very time consuming task, but I am hopefully getting it streamlined. 

I would love to have a small farm and it is for this reason mainly that I am considering the idea.  I have read the gardening thread and it appears the land is very different from here in Iowa.  I have been giving it some idea what exactly I would want to grow/raise. 

Offline biathlon

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
    Electricians are in HUGE demand here and you should be able to find good wages just about anywhere in the state. I have a Wyoming Masters license and would be glad to assist you in any way I can. Welcome to FSW.

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
    Electricians are in HUGE demand here and you should be able to find good wages just about anywhere in the state. I have a Wyoming Masters license and would be glad to assist you in any way I can. Welcome to FSW.

I am not an electrician, at least not with any licensing.  What I do amounts mostly to Design, building, Testing, and installing electrical control panels for water and wastewater plants.  I work with votages up to 480V and PLC's.  I am not opposed to being a licenced electrician, but I really don't know the ins and outs of it.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »
    Not a problem. If you're familiar with 3 phase 480 and plcs you'll find plenty of work here. Do you have a resume?

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »

What does that mean?  Are we all gonna die?!?!?!?  :)

It just means that as the economy contracts, the "money" is worth less and less, and the feds (as well as each state) create more and more "laws" to limit your options, travel and privacy... moving to freedom will become more and more difficult and costly. If you can get your assets out of Iowa soon, you'll have something to work with getting established somewhere else. That's especially important with children, of course. Alone you could start from scratch if you wanted to.

In the end, we will all die of something. It's what we do in the meantime that is important.

Let us know how we can help. I'd love to have you as a neighbor. :)  MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »
Hi!  I am the wife of Pumpkihn.  He asked that I take a look at this website and give the idea some consideration.  So that is what I am doing.  I am not nearly as devoted to the idea of moving to Wyoming as my husband is.  But since he moved to Iowa for me, I am willing to consider the idea. 

As Pumpkihn stated, I am the stay at home mother of three children (7, 5, & 1) plus anywhere from 1 to 4 extra children that I babysit.  I do not particularly enjoy babysitting other peoples children and look forward to the time when I do not have to do so.  We are starting to homeschool our children this fall and so I have spent many hours researching all this will entail.  I also have a small business that I run out of a local farmers' market.  I have enjoyed (mostly) this endeavor.  I was recently asked to help with the weekly emails and press releases  and have discovered that sending out emails to 2500 people is a very time consuming task, but I am hopefully getting it streamlined. 

I would love to have a small farm and it is for this reason mainly that I am considering the idea.  I have read the gardening thread and it appears the land is very different from here in Iowa.  I have been giving it some idea what exactly I would want to grow/raise. 

Dang. I didn't know you had such fine-lookin' women on this board.