Author Topic: Slowly in route from Kentucky  (Read 6492 times)

Offline peopleforget

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
Slowly in route from Kentucky
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
This is my first post, anywhere, ever.

Hello from Kentucky! My wife and I are planning on moving to Wyoming in about 1.5 years or so, give or take a month or two. While Kentucky is a decent place to live with fair amounts of freedom, the more I learn the more I realize I don't belong here. My wife agrees and we both want to make a new start in a place where being free and being an American actually means something. If everything goes well, we will both graduate from college in 1.5 years. I will have a General Studies B.A. degree with the focus being in Justice and Safety. She will have an Art Teaching B.A. degree. I have every intention of joining FSW and I agree with its goals and methods. Make sure you keep a seat open for a new art teacher and a farm grown police/security/safety/service oriented/etc. rifleman and defender of the Constitution.

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Slowly in route from Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:40 PM »
 You'll both be more than welcome here peopleforget. Have you read "You and the Police"?

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »
Howdy peopleforget, we are honored that you chose us to begin your computer forum adventure, and to become a neighbor in a year or two.  ;D. Be sure to get your wife on here too if she has any questions for the ladies of FSW !
Have you ever been to Wyoming ? Let us know if we can answer any questions.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »
You'll both be more than welcome here peopleforget. Have you read "You and the Police"?

Not yet, but I am going to order it in a couple days. I'm just about finished with "The Freedom Outlaw's Handbook." If it is as good as I've heard, and even half as good as the 3 other books by BTP that I've read lately, I will find it time well spent. There is a certain irony in reading "You and the Police" in today's world while considering a career as a peace officer. The major hang-up I have on that career is that I would actually obey The Constitution and, more importantly, it's implied meanings and protections. Where I’m from, that would be heresy. I would much rather do something else than become another tool of oppression that was ‘just following orders.’

I currently work at a PD as a non-sworn officer and work hand in hand with sworn officers on a daily basis. What I have seen firsthand has shaped my opinion and opened my eyes more than anything. While some officers genuinely want to help and leave everyone alone, most want to see what technicality can be applied to the maximum effect against someone who failed to register their vehicle or something else equally trivial. That is not serving the public; that is serving a tyrannical monstrosity who is oppressing the public. But I digress. I want to serve the people not the laws. I’m exploring other career avenues at this time unless someone in Wyoming is looking for someone like me. We’ll see what the future holds!

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
Howdy peopleforget, we are honored that you chose us to begin your computer forum adventure, and to become a neighbor in a year or two.  ;D. Be sure to get your wife on here too if she has any questions for the ladies of FSW !
Have you ever been to Wyoming ? Let us know if we can answer any questions.

I will be sure to pass your welcome on to my lovely wife! I haven't been to Wyoming yet unfortunately, though we are planning a trip soon. We should have the money to stay a while next summer. (Hopefully sooner!) I have been to Denver and to a couple of places near there in the mountains and I absolutely loved it...minus the Denver part...that was hell! My dad has done quite a bit of traveling and he told me that Wyoming has always stood out in his mind as one of his favorites. If it is as everyone describes it, I will love it too! When we arrive, we’ll have to have to break out the armory and invite everyone over!

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
Welcome! There are many jobs in Wyoming that center on serving people. I hope you can explore many of them before you make a final career choice. Hope to see you when you can come to visit Wyoming. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »
PeopleForget,

Yes, welcome to your new home on the web and to your new home in the future, Wyoming.

Regards, Danl ~W~
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline archy

• FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »
This is my first post, anywhere, ever. ... .

I have every intention of joining FSW and I agree with its goals and methods. Make sure you keep a seat open for a new art teacher and a farm grown police/security/safety/service oriented/etc. rifleman and defender of the Constitution.

I am EXTREMELY gratified both that you chose to break the ice with this first post of yours here at our happy [but sometimes busy!] little home, and that we'll be gaining a couple of good new neighbors.

Welcome, my friend. See you in Wyoming.
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
When we move, I will cook everyone a nice good ol' Kentucky meal, from my culture to yours! Lord help me if EVERYONE shows up!

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »
Well maybe you can join us at the next get together . We are always looking for a camp cook !  ;)
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »
Maybe some simmering ham hocks and navy beans?  My mouth is watering.  Pleasant conversation and a beer while it simmers?  Count me in.

Yes, you'll get plenty of help.  There are many stirrers ::) and taste testers among us. ;D

Seriously, you'll have plenty of neighborly help (and contributions of sides & beverages) available if you need it. ;)
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline 308shooter

• Reader
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 10:02:44 PM »
Not to discourage you but I really don't think the LE mindset is that different. A bit better, but I can't imagine real respect for the Constitution coming from most law officers even here in WY.

If I conceal carried a firearm without a permit, I expect you would be arrested here same as KY. Etc Etc.

I do say we need good cops who are libertarian minded and the more the better.

We just moved here recently from michigan. We made a good choice. Everything about WY is better except for the lack of trees.

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »
Sounds delicious! If y'all come, I will cook a big ol' pot of beans with ham hocks, country ham chunks, bacon grease (only the good stuff right!?) and a few secret family ingredients. My wife will throw in some other goodies like corn bread from scratch and we’ll all eat well that night!

My wife and I are Civil War re-enactors and I am a camp co-cook in the informal sense. I'll say this, there is nothing like a huge cast iron pot full of beans that have been cooking for 12+ hours over a camp fire!

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 02:14:50 PM »
Not to discourage you but I really don't think the LE mindset is that different. A bit better, but I can't imagine real respect for the Constitution coming from most law officers even here in WY.

If I conceal carried a firearm without a permit, I expect you would be arrested here same as KY. Etc Etc.

I do say we need good cops who are libertarian minded and the more the better.

We just moved here recently from michigan. We made a good choice. Everything about WY is better except for the lack of trees.

I've been thinking about this sort of thing for about 2 years now...in order to make a real difference, you would have to have a Chief of police (of some type) who was actually willing to uphold The Constitution and true American principles. It would (at first and barring a fluke) almost have to be a sheriff. Most sheriffs’ (at least in KY) are the beat all and end all of county authority. A focused effort on part of the people (like FSW!) could put such a person in office at the county level. City chiefs are usually appointed and always have the city councils breathing down their necks...we all know what that usually means.

A good Sheriff would be able to take office, clean house, and help create a small pocket of real America within a given county. Once people see the difference, such a change could spread, especially in today’s increasingly police state Amerika. I would work under such a person as a peace officer when the time comes. Until someone good has the courage, character, and conviction to stand up for our rights…I would rather do something else. I wouldn’t violate a citizens’ rights just because someone ordered me to do so.

I believe I will miss trees as well...but the trade off is worth it. If I can find a good piece of hilly property with water on it, I will be a happy man!!!

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »
Why does everyone keep saying there are no trees here? I've got trees... lots of us have trees... and you can always plant more! No, there are not a million square miles of them in every direction like Alaska, but we do have them. Some areas have more than others. Don't move to the places that don't have them. Sheech.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:12:01 PM by MamaLiberty »
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.