Author Topic: Communications:  (Read 59325 times)

Offline Don Wills

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Communications:
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »
Actually it's Mac who you should be impressed with.  For those who aren't into math, did you know there are imaginary numbers?  Imagine that, a number that isn't real!  And polar coordinates that aren't of this earth?  That's the kind stuff Mac mastered to get his Extra ticket.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
For those who aren't into math, did you know there are imaginary numbers?
Yes, complex arithmetic includes the square root of -1. I am not aware that this is part of the FCC test. But I do congratulate Mac for his test score!

Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »
I love it when threads like this pop up from the past that I have not found to read. I have been meaning to ask you all if there are any hams’s set up. Do you all monitor a particular CB channel, also? I’ll have the RV rigged up w/ my truck CB on our trip through.

HAM has been on my interest list for way too long. I am just afraid that after setting up the interest would start to wane without contacts, and I’d have another dust covered expensive box labeled “just in case”.

OTOH, if the FSW has an active net like what was being talked about in the opening pages of this thread, I’ll be looking for a local… what do you call the ham vet’s, I know they have a name… to sponsor me.

73’s, as you say.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »
One more question.

Is there an internet link to listen to HAM channels like there is to listen to police/fire scanners?
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
For those who aren't into math, did you know there are imaginary numbers?
Yes, complex arithmetic includes the square root of -1. I am not aware that this is part of the FCC test. But I do congratulate Mac for his test score!

Indeed it is. Complex impedance. Polar coordinates. Converting from rectangular and back. Combining complex admittances. Circuit impedances such as "233 -j400 ohms", etc. And then there's the Smith charts! Now THAT is interesting!

Mac

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
One more question.

Is there an internet link to listen to HAM channels like there is to listen to police/fire scanners?

Except in one rare case, hams don't have "channels" like CB or commercial radio and TV. It's a continuous spectrum, you know, kind of like a rainbow?   >:D

You just tune linearly across a "band", analogous to the FM band, until you hear someone talking or sending code, or perhaps a clear spot if you want to start a new conversation. But unlike the commercial FM band, you could find stations on nearly any frequency allowed by your license class.

Mac
<Edmund Burke>

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »
Seniortech is the resident ham expert. Been doing this for years and he too has an Extra Class license.
I may know some theory, but know nearly nothing of actual operation.
He is the one who rekindled my interest and I still need to send him the bill for all the expenses I've incurred.  ::)

Mac
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »
One more question.

Except in one rare case, hams don't have "channels" like CB or commercial radio and TV. It's a continuous spectrum, you know, kind of like a rainbow?   >:D

You just tune linearly across a "band", analogous to the FM band, until you hear someone talking or sending code, or perhaps a clear spot if you want to start a new conversation. But unlike the commercial FM band, you could find stations on nearly any frequency allowed by your license class.

Mac

And that's a good thing!

A quick search reveals there are some guys making their personal radio reception
available kind of like a radio webcam, but, it's not much:

http://www.hamradiosecrets.com/listen-to-ham-radio-online.html

WS4E form the ehamforum says:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=72311.0
There ARE a few ways to listen to REAL ham radio online.

1) WebSDR, you can use powerful sdr radios via your web browser(java, no software to install) and tune into any frequency in their bandwith.  There are stations located all over the world and on many different bands.  Nothing to signup for or anything.

Just go here: http://www.websdr.org

2) Global Tuners.  Actual radios online you can use and control to listen.  Its a mix of vhf scanner type radios, some SDR broadband type, and some actual ham radios.

You do have to sign up for an account and there is a 2 week waiting period to get full use out of the site after you sign up.

Go here: http://www.globaltuners.com

3) You can also use some SDR radios remotely, via a full copy of the sdr-radio software running on your local PC.

See here for more info: http://sdr-radio.com/OnAirServersFree/tabid/186/language/en-US/Default.aspx
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
I love it when threads like this pop up from the past that I have not found to read. I have been meaning to ask you all if there are any hams’s set up. Do you all monitor a particular CB channel, also? I’ll have the RV rigged up w/ my truck CB on our trip through.

HAM has been on my interest list for way too long. I am just afraid that after setting up the interest would start to wane without contacts, and I’d have another dust covered expensive box labeled “just in case”.

OTOH, if the FSW has an active net like what was being talked about in the opening pages of this thread, I’ll be looking for a local… what do you call the ham vet’s, I know they have a name… to sponsor me.

73’s, as you say.

Nothing wrong with CB radio.  However, two antennas must be installed on
a vehicle to hit HF and V/UHF bands and I'd rather keep it at that.

You'll have plenty of "Elmers" to lend a hand in Wyoming . . .
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
I have a 200 watt Tube type transmitter I built in the 1980's
Never got a license thou so I never used it.

Grief-kit? Does it also have the receiver?

Im not interested in hearing what others have to say so why do I need a receiver??

In reality, the spell check goofed. :D It should have been transeiver.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
Grief-kit? Does it also have the receiver?

Im not interested in hearing what others have to say so why do I need a receiver??

Ahhh. Then what you want is a CB radio. :)

I asked because I might be interested in a trade of some kind. Feel free to email or PM if you have any interest.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
Except in one rare case, hams don't have "channels" like CB or commercial radio and TV. It's a continuous spectrum, you know, kind of like a rainbow?   

I literally LOL’ed just now Mac, thanks!

Elmer’s, that’s it, ok so knowing that there is a number of you who are at least available to form a net should the time come is good to know. Where ever I land in WY I know that communications will be somewhat available in time. I’ll have to start collecting things to put in that JIC box, and when I am on the ground there it will be an early priority to get set up.

I’ll keep my eye on this thread and may even start working on getting my ticket. I am sure it would be more difficult to understand without having the equipment in front of me, but is it possible to learn and pass the test without buying the stuff?

Thanks,

KTK

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
I am sure it would be more difficult to understand without having the equipment in front of me, but is it possible to learn and pass the test without buying the stuff?

Yes!  In fact, it's better to study the materials first as it greatly informs
your equipment choices.

Terence

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
It was asked above about Internet radio links. A ham buddy of mine turned me onto an app called Echolink. It is available for iPad, iPhone, and the net. You need at least a tech license to use it, but it allows worldwide transmit and receive on preset nodes. It's worth looking into if you are into long range comms. Art Bell operates a node for those familiar with him.

My buddy just got me hooked on ham radio. I'm getting my tech license ASAP along with a decent vehicle/base/handheld starter equipment set. When Im up and running I will post contact info.

I read a few posts about repeater networks and their scarcity. Just FYI, there are more out there than people realize. I used my friend's rig and talked to another buddy in Idaho from a 5w handheld in the sw Nevada desert. There are many GMRS nets in and around cities. For example we can talk from our home in Pahrump NV throughout Las Vegas on 2w GMRS radios. I will see what I can find for in and around WY and post any results I find here.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline SunDog

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
Those of you with a ticket (ham license) may want to get some practice in at "local" HF communications. Though not associated with FSW, the Cowboy net is a Wyoming-centered HF net that meets M-F (local) on 3923.5 kHz at 0045Z. Most of the participants are in Wyoming, but there is good representation from MT, ID, SD, UT and CO too. I get on several times a month and had no trouble checking in with 20 Watts. (Recently I went "high power" at 45 Watts  :D).

Why do it? You find out what goes wrong, what interference is, what atmospheric noise is like and what day-to-day variation in propagation is all about. And you put it all together by fixing the stuff that's wrong and overcoming the problems until you know what works - and then you have some skill as a communications operator, not just as the owner of a shiny new (or old) radio.