Author Topic: Communications:  (Read 59360 times)

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Communications:
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »
Actually, I've been monitoring that net for the last several nights.  ;D
Another FSWer told me about it.
Thanks.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »

100+ Things to do in Ham Radio
Have fun with Ham Radio doing these things

http://barrowhamradio.org/images/articles/100%20Things%20in%20Ham%20Radio.pdf
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »

I found these Amateur Radio articles for a friend.  They are well-written
by non-experts and provide a great intro into the practical aspects of Amateur Radio:

Why You Should Get Your Ham Radio License:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/03/communications-why-you-should-get-your-ham-radio-license-by-mg.html

Get and Use Your Ham Radio License:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/01/get-and-use-your-ham-radio-lic.html

Making Ham Radio Simple. . .
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/making-ham-radio-simple-for-the-survivalist-by-alan-m.html

Ham Radio Privacy:
http://survivalblog.com/2012/03/letter-re-ham-radio-privacy.html

Linking Up with Local Hams:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/letter-re-linking-up-with-local-ham-radio-operators.html
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
This is an interesting thread. My boyfriend/significant other is a ham and so I could mostly borrow his equipment. I think knowing how to use it would be of big benefit in an emergency situation when normal lines of communication are down. I'm very seriously thinking of getting a ham license.

Is the FSW net still operating from time to time?

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »
We are trying to get organized and see what works. Several have been making some QSOs (contacts) in the last several days. I'm off the air right now because a not-so-typical Wyoming thunderstorm came thru last week and blew down my antenna. Working on getting back on the air. I just got my license 6 weeks ago and have an all new setup. I got back into this after a 40 year absence because of the emergency communication aspect.

Mac
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2012, 11:59:27 AM »
I am currently "using" my county's CD "license" to buy equipment.  I'm not sure I want to add yet another "tag" to my already large .gov file...
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
I am currently "using" my county's CD "license" to buy equipment.  I'm not sure I want to add yet another "tag" to my already large .gov file...

The license is to transmit.  There are no buying or listening restrictions (Yet).

Terence

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »
For what it's worth, I just found these dual-band radios at a very attractive price (fifty-five bucks each):
http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-136-174-400-470MHz-Dual-Band-Display-Two-way/dp/B007UMQUPA

I got a pair for my future amateur radio communications, but they are capable of receiving and transmitting on the Family Radio Service, GMRS, and other public service bands. They might be very handy for emergency communications.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
For what it's worth, I just found these dual-band radios at a very attractive price (fifty-five bucks each):
http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-136-174-400-470MHz-Dual-Band-Display-Two-way/dp/B007UMQUPA

I got a pair for my future amateur radio communications, but they are capable of receiving and transmitting on the Family Radio Service, GMRS, and other public service bands. They might be very handy for emergency communications.

Great find, thanks Richard.   I've seen 2/70's that receive those bands but the ability
to transmit, as well, could be very useful.

Terence

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »
Radio Free Redoubt: "The Voice of The American Redoubt"

A Communications Network and Radio show for "The American Redoubt".
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=13485.msg118489#msg118489

Terence

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
Update:
Last night I joined the "Cowboy Net". It's a group of hams from throughout WY and neighboring states. I heard guys from Cheyenne, Laramie, Rock Springs, Casper, Gillette, Sundance, Cody, etc. More than I can remember. Also heard from SD, MT, CO, and ID.
They meet M-F at 00:45 UTC.

This morning, at 13:30 UTC four FSW guys (including me) took part in a discussion. Devil's Tower, Sundance, Newcastle, and at the MT/ID border. We could all hear the MT/ID operator, but us local Crook/Weston folks couldn't hear each other much at all.

Conditions, conditions, conditions. Time of day, time of year, point in sunspot cycle. They all make a difference.

There's another FSW member who just got his license that hopefully will be joining us soon.

Mac
<Edmund Burke>

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
Hey guys,
   Amazon is shipping me;
~"ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual)"
~"General Class License Manual (Softcover) (Arrl General Class License Manual for the Radio Amateur)"
~ & "Ham Radio For Dummies"

It will be a while, but I’ll be a HAM soon enough, just keep the nets up!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »
Update:
Last night I joined the "Cowboy Net". It's a group of hams from throughout WY and neighboring states. I heard guys from Cheyenne, Laramie, Rock Springs, Casper, Gillette, Sundance, Cody, etc. More than I can remember. Also heard from SD, MT, CO, and ID.
They meet M-F at 00:45 UTC.

This morning, at 13:30 UTC four FSW guys (including me) took part in a discussion. Devil's Tower, Sundance, Newcastle, and at the MT/ID border. We could all hear the MT/ID operator, but us local Crook/Weston folks couldn't hear each other much at all.

Conditions, conditions, conditions. Time of day, time of year, point in sunspot cycle. They all make a difference.

There's another FSW member who just got his license that hopefully will be joining us soon.

Mac

Well, it's great the repeater network is working within the black hills.  Maybe its
time to find out if NVIS is a myth though it may require separate antennas to point
more vertically and experiment.

I'll be on VHF soon and am sorting through all the antenna options for HF.  Whatever
it's going to be will have a great power setup to plug into!

Terence

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »
Hey guys,
   Amazon is shipping me;
~"ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual)"
~"General Class License Manual (Softcover) (Arrl General Class License Manual for the Radio Amateur)"
~ & "Ham Radio For Dummies"

It will be a while, but I’ll be a HAM soon enough, just keep the nets up!

Good books and great to hear!  I'll bet you'll start reading and won't
be able to stop.

Terence

Offline SunDog

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »
Well, it's great the repeater network is working within the black hills.  Maybe its
time to find out if NVIS is a myth though it may require separate antennas to point
more vertically and experiment.

The Cowboy Net is on 3923.5 kHz, which is HF, not a repeater net. NVIS works pretty well for it. I have good coverage of Cowboy Net stations and the antenna is only about 15 feet high on average; it is 130 feet long.