Author Topic: Local yokel  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Wygoat

• Reader
Local yokel
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:13:12 PM »
Howdy folks
     I'm a local yokel down here in Cheyenne.  Moved here back in 72.  Been here ever since.  Work moved me around a time or two, but my roots took hold here.  I've been around the country a few times and this is where i choose to raise my family.  If there is anything I can do to help in the Cheyenne area, feel free to give me a holler. 
Wygoat
"You can run, but you will only die tired!"

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Local yokel
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »
Nice to hear from you, you old goat! (ha, ha?)

And thanks for the offer to help. Been looking at the forum long? What do you think of what you read here?

Mac (Crook County)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:25:59 AM »
Howdy Wygoat glad to have you with us!
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Wygoat

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:09:03 AM »
Thanks for having me.  No I havent been looking at the forum very long.  I stumbled on it a few days ago.  There is not much to look at until you register.  I almost didn't register.  I got the feeling that it was a dead or dying site.  I sent Boston an e-mail and figured I'd register.  A bit more to look at once you have registered. 

I would like to make a suggestion though.  I think it may be a good idea to have a before you move to Wyo. section outside of where the registered folk can see.  Something that warns people of our harsh conditions here.  My reasoning on this is just from the urbanites that I know.  I would hate to see someone move here, and the first time we get a harsh storm where travel is not an option, find that they have no food, firewood, supplies, etc.  Those of us that have lived rural all our lives take these things for granted.  I live in Wyomings Gotham city Cheyenne.  (heh heh) it still amazes me how many people don't even own a 4x4.  When it snows I get the can I catch a ride to work with you, phone calls.  Not a problem i'm always happy to help, but then they jump in my truck wearing clothing that they would freeze to death in if we got stuck somewhere.  Every year I find myself teaching people things they need to carry in vechicles.  Most of those people don't realize that if they are stuck or stranded somewhere, other people may be also, so no help may be immediate. 

Anyway thanks for having me.
Wygoat
"You can run, but you will only die tired!"

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »
Allowing natural selection to interact with our species more might be a good thing, even negative consequences can improve folks...

"Mistakes that you learn from become experience." --Me

You first have to do something to make a mistake.  Then you have to rationally consider the consequences, GOOD and BAD, of the action, then decide what to do OR not do OR try differently next time.

Anywho...true survival of the fittest (AND logical)...sounds good  ;D

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline elk

• Needs To Get Out More
  • We never had to take any of it seriously, did we?
    • Downrange TV
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
I learned that after my first trip to Canada.  Hoooly CRAP is Canuckistan COLD.  And its one of those "with a bit of polar fleece, I can walk around forever" colds.  Nasty wind, etc, but a proper insulated bit of clothes (and thermal socks and underwear) and its like being at home with a lit fireplace.

I learned the hard way, while there, that my travel jacket was perfect.  My lack of proper "ears" wasn't.  Good thing you can buy good warm clothing ANYWHERE in that country.

Been to some cold places before.  That doesn't worry me so much.

Its the lack of available water that concerns me.  I'm used to sailing (okay, I can do without) and occasionally swimming (okay can do without that too) but I do like the ability to launder my clothes at regular intervals without having to sell my kidneys.  How's the well water out there?  I've been meaning to ask on the forum, as the answer I got from a few locals I know (via phone and personal contact) have ranged from "water is more precious than gold" to "you can get killed over water rights out here."

Any ideas?
Trading privacy for security is stupid enough; not getting any actual security in the bargain is even stupider.  ~ Bruce Schneier of Cryptogram fame (www.schneier.com)

Remember always that the only thing they required of us was our moral sanction. You lost when you accepted their moral code.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »
We make every effort to get people to consider ALL of the conditions and changes they will face before they make plans to move here. If they don't, well that's their look out.

As for water, it depends on where you are - just like anything else. Some areas have more than others, and some places have more folks fighting over it. From what I've read, if your use is going to be strictly domestic with a garden, a few head of stock or such, you shouldn't have to worry much.

If you are planning on building an industry that needs lots of water, then you might have problems.

The thing is that there are lots of different options, conditions and places with different problems. There is no "one size fits all" answer to much of anything. :) I'm sure that folks would be glad to do some research into this question for you in various areas, depending on what you think your use would be. Just ask. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »

As for water, it depends on where you are - just like anything else. Some areas have more than others, and some places have more folks fighting over it. From what I've read, if your use is going to be strictly domestic with a garden, a few head of stock or such, you shouldn't have to worry much.

If you are planning on building an industry that needs lots of water, then you might have problems.

The state LAW is that anyone can get a permit to drill a well for domestic water usage. No water "rights" required. Anything above that requires a "right". See the WY State Engineer's Office, on line, for the specifics. http://seo.state.wy.us/index.aspx
However, that doesn't mean you'll HAVE water on your property. Sometimes all you need is a shallow well, other times the water is out of reach economically, or just isn't there at all. Be sure to check, then recheck, before buying property.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline elk

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Downrange TV
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 05:27:37 PM »
Right, I'm just not eager to pay the state for water that has been chemically poisoned and sold to me as 'good for my teeth'.  (Grandparents had their own well water and didn't have any issues with dental caries.  Strange?  Yeah, I thought so too.)

I'm sure you folks know how that works.

I also wanted to make sure I can find potable water.  Without the usual uranium mining residue or chemical byproducts or other crap I've read about.  Trying to square some things before visiting.  I'd rather already have the hard work done by the time the weather permits me a visit.
Trading privacy for security is stupid enough; not getting any actual security in the bargain is even stupider.  ~ Bruce Schneier of Cryptogram fame (www.schneier.com)

Remember always that the only thing they required of us was our moral sanction. You lost when you accepted their moral code.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:45:13 AM »
As far as I know, none of the water in Wyoming is fluoridated, at least outside of Jackson or Cheyenne most likely. If you have a well, it most certainly would not have more than what was naturally in the water, if any.

As for the rest, I'd suggest you contact the Wyoming State government or look at their website for such information... at least it would be a start.

You'd probably want to stay away from the major mining areas anyway.

The water here in Newcastle is just about perfect. I've lived in the desert, and I know what good water tastes like. This is almost too good to believe, yet just a few miles away there are wells that have terrible water.

Not sure you are going to nail it down before you get here. You'll probably just have to talk to people in various areas and find out that way. Wish I could make it easier for you. :)

Offline elk

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Downrange TV
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »
No problems at all.  I just want to make sure I have as much intel as I can before I jump in.  I've made moves without preparation before.  I'd paraphrase Cooper saying something to the tune of "the unprepared are surprised, and call it an adventure, but for the prepared, adventure is something he seeks actively, enjoys thoroughly and survives handily."  I'm not quite eager to have adventure find me unprepared.

Is there a site that lists or shows mining areas and proximity to mines and tunnels?

I thank you folks for the advice, and, to repair my thread hijack, I wanted to welcome Wygoat to the board as well.  Could do with a few more Wyoming old timers on here. 

Offline judithevans

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Hubby and i are interested in networking.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »
Welcome      Here in fremont county there is a big difference water quality and availability.  Our well is about 70 feet has some alkali which bothers the plants but not us or animals.  But 1/2 mile away the alkali is really bad.  Some people put down deep wells and have fabulous water and some can't find any.  The surface water is more likely to be contaminated but then around some oil field areas there has been serious bad stuff.  Then you have to be concerned about radon contamination from the ground.  Pretty much you have to decide which area you want to be in and then research that area.  Good luck  Sewing dove

Offline elk

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Downrange TV
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:45:22 AM »
Heh, well, that thar's da catch!

I don't really mind settling in one area or another.  I can, over time offgrid everything necessary and still live well (most likely better than folks in the city or suburbs.)

What concerns me is exactly to find an area where there aren't so many mines or oil fields or whatnot.  I can drive to work until I find something that's in need out there that I can actually run as my own business, aw hell, I can setup a camper if the pay's good enough and just come home once every so often.  I can always tunnel into my server if I need to peruse my dvd collection and find something I want to watch while out in the middle of nowhere... and there's always that Nethack highest score.   >:D >:D

Internet availability I would prefer to get one way or another, and its probably my only real issue.  SO long as I can get satellite or find a way to run either fiber or something else to the house, I can live with what I can get.  The problem is, and always will be, soil and water.  Those things I'm not entirely able to mitigate in some form or other.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »
Find a nice small town to live in. Water problems solved. And usually, soil too, since towns tend to be down near rivers and creeks.

It always strikes me how much Wyoming immigrants and prospective immigrants want to go live in the boonies. It's understandable, given where they are coming from; but lots of towns in Wyoming are nothing like that. Neighbors tend to be polite and friendly. Even the cops wave at you.

Also, it is a lot of work living in the boonies in Wyoming. Not really for the "beginner".

One other point about your initial residence in Wyoming: it doesn't have to be your last. Find a nice town to live in, work your way into the Wyoming way of doing things, get a "network" going, and in a year or two if you still want the boonies you've got a lead on the best properties (which are often not advertised) and you have the expertise to know what to look for and what to avoid, or local friends who will fall all over themselves to help you with that.

The only problem I've had with Cody has been 1) too many Harleys in the summer, and 2) my home in located in what I call "the land of yappy dogs".  :P  But I can live with that. One might be able to find another area without dogs on all 4 sides. BTW, the only traffic jams you'll see in Wyoming are out in the boonies, when a herd of cows is crossing the road. We don't have traffic in town.  ~W~
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »
BTW, the only traffic jams you'll see in Wyoming are out in the boonies, when a herd of cows is crossing the road. We don't have traffic in town.

Ha! You've obviously never been to Newcastle then. We have a large resident herd of deer in town, and they are often crossing the street - especially in the fall. They huddle in town to avoid the hunters, I think. Other than that, the only traffic jam here is where the railroad runs through town. Those coal trains are LONG and move slow. I've seen as many as four or five cars and trucks waiting at the crossing! :)

And yes, we get sort of over run with bikers along about August, but so far they have been polite and don't cause problems.