Author Topic: New to FSW  (Read 5183 times)

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
New to FSW
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »
Howdy Everybody!

Just joined tonight. I am looking to buy a place in Wyoming soon. I used to live Rock Springs for a couple years and then lived near Sheridan for a while. I want to come back to North Central Wyoming when I get out of the Army. I read Molon Labe during my last deployment in Iraq. I have been "lurking" for a couple years it seems. I am now making serious plans to come back to the Sheridan/Buffalo area when I get back from this deployment. Looking at real estate websites every chance I get. Anyways, I will be taking leave sometime in June/July and want to come up and visit. Hope to make an Appleseed shoot if the timings right.  Maybe I'll run into some of you then.

Keep your powder dry,
longrifle

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: New to FSW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »
Welcome to our campfire! Drag up a rock and set a spell. We'd love to talk to you, and some of us might be able to help. :) What are you looking for?
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
Howdy Longrifle, I spent some time in RS myself. We have a get together in June so if the timing works out be sure to make that too.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline socalserf

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman RWVA Instructor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
Welcome Longrifle!

Just incase you don't have it, here is the Appleseed schedule for Wyoming 2009;

April 18-19 Kemmerer, WY
May 2-3 Douglas, WY **
June 6-7 Newcastle, WY
June 6-7 Kemmerer, WY **
June 13-14 Jackson Hole, WY
June 20-21 Casper, WY
June 27-28 Kemmerer, WY
September 5-6 Douglas, WY
September 12-13 Newcastle, WY
FOR MORE INFORMATION, GO TO http://www.Appleseedinfo.

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »
Howdy Everybody!

I am now making serious plans to come back to the Sheridan/Buffalo area when I get back from this deployment. Looking at real estate websites every chance I get.

And howdy to you!

Good luck on finding anything affordable around Sheridan or Johnson Counties. Greed has definitely taken root. Their real estate market has been hyper-inflated by pilgrims sporting far more money than common sense and the sellers all think they're sitting on a gold mine. Biggest problem with that area is the same thing that makes it desireable... that being that it IS a very scenic area. ($45,000 an acre for bare land? Puhleeze!)

However, the economy there, like everywhere else, is tanking, so the future may be a bit better for the prospective buyer. My son lives over in Story and he told me around 200 people were tossed out of work over in Sheridan last month.

My suggestion would be to find some property you're interested in and make a lowball offer. Like my wife says... they can "ask" anything they want, but what they sell it for may be a lot less and right now... no-one is buying property at the asking prices.

Best of luck to you.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:10:29 AM »
Thank You Everyone for the Welcome.

I know that Sheridan area can be and is very expensive, but I'm necessarily tied to Sheridan. All my friends still live there and so I want to be close. Basically I don't really care where exactly I end up in Wyoming as long as it's Wyoming.

What I am looking for is as much land as I can afford (80- 100 acres) with some water. I want to build my own place from the ground up.  Something I can run a few cows (or a feeder steer or two)  and a couple horses on.

The other problem with the Sheridan area for me is that I will have a saddle shop and there is too much competition in Sheridan( kings saddlery). If anyone knows an area that can use a good saddlery please let me know. I mobviously can make sadles but I really enjoy the smaller items like custom holsters, spurstraps and the like.

I will be trying for the Newcastle appleseed shoot, or possibly the Casper one depending on when I get leave. The get together sounds like fun.

Again Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Wes
longrifle

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 06:11:18 AM »
My impression is that the weakening economy is forcing a lot of people to sell their horses.

I thought I'd share this article with you... thought it might be of interest:

SALMON, Idaho -- In the classic Hollywood western, a cowboy portrayed by John Wayne gallops across the sagebrush steppe and rocky ridges of the American West with only his horse for a companion.

What the films don't show is the cowboy buying and hauling hay for his horse, or what happens to the horse when it is too aged, infirm or irascible to ride.

Those more mundane details are at the heart of a debate about growing cases of mistreatment of horses in the United States, at a time when hay and grain prices are skyrocketing and when options for disposing of unwanted horses are dwindling.

Just a year ago, the sale of an average horse suitable for recreation — one with neither prized bloodlines nor a performance record to heighten its status — would have fetched several thousand dollars.

Today, prices in some cases have dropped to just hundreds of dollars, largely because of higher costs for their maintenance and transport.

The situation for marginal horses — horses whose poor physical condition or disposition makes them targets for slaughter — is even worse, after a court ruling sought by animal-rights groups effectively shut down the US horse slaughter industry last year.

The result is that a growing number of unwanted horses are being starved or turned loose to fend for themselves in the US West, according to animal welfare advocates.

"What concerns me is a fate worse than slaughter," said Temple Grandin, professor of animal science at Colorado State University and an authority on the handling of livestock such as horses. "We've got people turning horses loose in fields, dropping horses off in the night — my worst nightmares are coming true."

Such images have strong resonance in the West, the land of the rider on the range immortalized in art by Frederic Remington and in popular culture by actors such as the late President Ronald Reagan.

Far from Kentucky, where thoroughbreds race the Churchill Downs, owning a horse in the West is a middle-class occupation. The average horse owner rides for recreation and keeps their horse on their own land or land rented for the purpose, rather than at a commercially run barn.

Horses eat hay made from either grass or alfalfa, or a mix of both, and a modest amount of grain. Prices fluctuate, but in east central Idaho, hay prices have risen to $145 from $120 per ton a year ago, a jump of 21 percent. In northern Idaho it costs $220 per ton and as much as $300 per ton in parts of California. Feeding a horse can cost $2,000 a year or more.

TURNED LOOSE

The West is also the region where the historic practice of releasing domesticated horses into the wild — first by Spanish explorers and last by ranchers — gave rise to the herds of Mustangs, or feral horses, that still inhabit the vast public lands of Western states.

But the romantic concept of freeing a tamed horse to roam the West's wide open spaces bears no resemblance to the reality, said Kirk Miller, livestock investigator in Idaho and Montana for the US Department of Agriculture.

"They have no survival instinct in the wild, no clue as to what's dangerous to eat, no knowledge of how to grub for food under the snow," he said.

Miller and Colorado State's Grandin are among animal experts who say the campaign led by the Humane Society of the United States to end domestic horse slaughter was well-intentioned but misguided.

Now the tens of thousands of American horses marked for slaughter are shipped to Canada and Mexico, where long, stressful journeys end in what some horse advocates say can be unduly painful deaths.

Most horses are slaughtered for human consumption, with Europe and Asia providing markets for their meat.

Some horse associations are siding with the Humane Society in its fight to end export of horses for slaughter altogether. But others are seeking to re-establish processing in the United States to broaden the outlet for unwanted horses and to ensure the animals are killed by a mechanical method approved by the US Department of Agriculture.

Keith Dane, director of equine protection for the Humane Society, said for Americans to have their horses killed for their meat would be akin to sending their pet dogs to slaughter for human consumption.

But unlike its canine counterpart, a horse weighs an average of 1,000 pounds and disposal of its carcass after Humane Society-recommended euthanasia has become burdensome. Where permitted by law and where able, owners can bury carcasses on their own land or pay several hundred dollars in assorted fees to deposit the remains at a local landfill.

Those complications may be behind what state livestock officials and federal land managers in the West say is a spike in the number of horses shot dead and dumped on public lands.

Scot Dutcher, animal protection chief with the Colorado Department of Agriculture, said the abandoned horse cases officials are addressing now is a ripple compared to the wave that may come.

"If it becomes illegal to export horses for slaughter, we'll be dealing with an equine tsunami," he said.

Meanwhile, officials at some sale barns in Montana are asking owners of especially old or underweight horses to pay the auction house if the animals do not bring a sufficient price.

And horse rescues, non-profit groups that rehabilitate and place unwanted and often abused horses, are reporting a rise in the number of calls they are fielding and the number of horses they turn away for lack of resources.

"I could have 500 horses here tomorrow," said Brent Glover, head of Orphan Acres, an Idaho rescue operation that can maintain a maximum of 130 horses.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline redtailhawk

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 07:46:21 AM »
longrifle,

contact me by PM.  I'm looking for land as well in about the same timeframe and we may can double our efforts.

redtailhawk

Offline Chris

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »
Welcome longrifle.

I'm working to move to WY by this summer too. (I'd really like to make the Casper Appleseed...)

Chris
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.<br />-Unknown

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:11:07 AM »
HardwareHank,

Thanks for the article, it was interesting. It has been a growing problem for many years. I used to gather horses for the BLM and I saw firsthand some of those "set free" horses that owners turned out. It's very sad. I can assure you that I would never allow that to happen to my horses, nor would I overstock and graze my little piece of heaven down to the bare roots like I've seen some do also. I spent most of my life working with horses and on ranches all over MT, WY, OK, TX. Having horses for most is just a luxury item, not so with me. They will be intregal to my livelyhood as the always have been other than my military service.

As an aside, the article quoted Temple Grandin alot. She had some valid points, however having met her years ago while working in the Wild Horse and Burro Program, she is a bit of a fruitloop too.

Again, thanks for the article
Longrifle

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 07:34:46 AM »
Welcome longrifle,

I will be the senior instructor at both Newcastle and Casper for those Appleseeds. Hope to see you at one of them. Let me know that you are you!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 03:19:12 PM »
HardwareHank, Thanks for the article, it was interesting.
Longrifle

My pleasure,

Just a thought here, but thinking about your leathercraft... have you considered going the contractor route for say.. Cabela's or Harley-Davidson?

Both of them buy a tremendous amount from individual craftsman. Harley for example, got many of their FX leather saddlebags from a guy in Laramie.

Take a look at www.tombstoneoutfitters.com as well... They're in Worland and carry a lot of custom-made items.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »
Yeah, horses are a problem, thanks to the animal rights idiots. But if things get really bad, that's a lot of meat, isn't it?

One can always shoot an old horse, and if you are not up to eating it, let the coyotes have it. Of course it's probably only acceptable if you can leave it lay on your own land. Dumping it elsewhere is a no-no.

I knew an organic farmer in a Portland suburb who had to deal with a dead horse (on only about 10 or 15 acres!). He pushed a bunch of mulch over the carcass, then turned his chickens loose in the area. They gobbled up the maggots that crawled out of the pile. Chickens and flies took care of that whole horse, except the bones...  :-X

Actually, this fellow ran for governor of Oregon on the Libertarian ticket one year. Now you know for sure, libertarians have a screw loose, don't ya?  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
Colonial Shooter, I am shooting for early June at Newcastle, but it'll all depend on when I can get leave. I'll be sure to let you know if/when I will make it. Quick question on the appleseed. I will have both of my kids with me, will they be able to shoot as well? Ages 14 and 15.

Longrifle

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »
HardwareHank,

The idea of contracting had never crossed my mind. I will definitely have to do some research into this. Already I am so glad I got on this forum. My mind has been flying around for the last sevral days with new ideas. I can hardly wait for leave now.

Thank You All,
Longrifle