Author Topic: City vs. Country  (Read 16289 times)

Offline alexspartan

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • My Blog
Re: City vs. Country
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Heh, if you're going to open-carry, don't use a tactical leg holster.  While those have their place, namely combat, there are better choices for regular open carry.  I have a Safariland model 568 paddle holster, and it works fine.  It doesn't have a securing loop to prevent it from being taken by someone else, though, but it does retain the pistol very well with tention. 

Any belt-holster will work fine.  A couple holsters to stay awake from are Blackhawk SERPA holsters, and Fobus holsters.  Because of the locking mechanism of the SERPA, it's hard to operate quickly (and probably harder to operate when you're actually in a fight because of a loss of fine motor skills), and Fobus holsters don't seem too strong.

Blade-tech holsters are great, I hear.

Just my opinion.  Others may have completely different opinions.
"Sometimes the cost of Liberty is $92 a box."

MultiCam - Turning Internet Warriors into total bad-asses since 2005.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 11:15:50 AM »
We're kinda plump. belt holsters have to either be really tight, or they slide past the belly.
Any suggestions? (other than lose a lot of weight fast....)

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
Michael, consider a good shoulder rig?
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
cool. what do you recommend?

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »
I don't know anything about leg holsters. They will stand out though. I have a feeling most people go for something a little less obvious. "Discrete open carry" is the phrase.

There is no law about open carry. I'm guessing "no law" means the same thing for Wyomingites and non-Wyomingites.  :)  Never heard of anyone getting pulled over for the wrong tags. There are speed traps here and there though.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Safepacker Holster - Hands Down
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

I carry a Springfield Micro-Compact .45ACP. Ive used a number of different methods, but am 100% sold on the Safepacker.

The thing is hidden right out there in plain sight. It hangs on your belt, and all you have to do is squeeze the release buckle and the flap falls open, with the piece right there where it should be. I've carried it from Birmingham to Billings... never had one person give it a second glance.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline Herk

• Wolverine
  • FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html
Shiny; let's be bad guys.

III

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html

Those look great, but don't seem like they'd have any retention. I think we're set on something that has a snap on the top.

Wife's pretty handy with sewing. Maybe we'll move to Wyoming and start a company making holsters for non-skinny folks!

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »

Oh, wait. I figured it out. You have to wear pants with BELT LOOPS to use a belt with a holster. (I was using it with shorts. Do'h!)

Comfy for both of us, and problem solved:
http://www.stinkfight.com/2009/02/17/fun-family-photos-week-of-feb-16-09/

(I had a pair in the closet, I save them for jury duty, funerals, and weddings.)

Ordering some Wranglers online now.

Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »
Here is my favorite holster. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=338648 I carry an XD compact .45 in this, just a bit forward of the right hip.

Also, for your wife, take a look at http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx This is a website by, for and of women who carry to defend themselves.  Lots of good stuff about women's holsters and other carry concerns.

And Women&Guns: http://womenandguns.servertalk.in/index.php?mforum=womenandguns
All kinds of interesting items about holsters, other accessories and carry concerns. Not to mention a LOT of great people, both men and women.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:55 PM »
Michael, Michael, Michael,
You don't have to have belt loops on your pants to wear a belt with holster on it.
You don't even have to wear pants to wear a belt with a holster on it.
It just looks a little funny if you're only wearing a belt and holster - unless you have the hat to go with it!!!!!
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
...You don't even have to wear pants to wear a belt with a holster on it.

I thought "The Naked Cowboy" lived in New York City!

MamaLiberty, thank you for the links, will check 'em out with DJ.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »
Michael, Michael, Michael,
You don't have to have belt loops on your pants to wear a belt with holster on it.
You don't even have to wear pants to wear a belt with a holster on it.
It just looks a little funny if you're only wearing a belt and holster - unless you have the hat to go with it!!!!!

Ah, don't you think that might get you just a LITTLE too much attention? In New York, of course, the big problem would be the gun. In Wyoming, it might be too much skin, hat or not.  >:D
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
We're kinda plump. belt holsters have to either be really tight, or they slide past the belly.
Any suggestions? (other than lose a lot of weight fast....)

MWD

Two good possibilities, and a suggestion: Go to your local Wal-Mart and pick up one of the black nylon holsters they have for Crosman airsoft pistols. The one I have for my spare 9mm is meant for a Crosman *AirMag C11* and fits both my SIG and a Cz-52 pretty well. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5913349 They're inexpensive, at around $8.95 or so [pat my local store] and handle a 4-inch barrel 9mm pretty well. Even my Browning Hi-Power and M1911 .45 fit in it, though their longer slides and barrel sticks out the bottom of the holster. But it fits on your regular trousers belt, though the velcro-fastened flap that holds it on the belt will handle up to a GI 2ΒΌ-inch pistol belt. They're certainly not the most *professional* or classy rig in the world, but the price is right, they're high-ride [and so work while you're seated in a car] and are inexpensive enough that they can be modified if you think that'd be useful.

And if you're looking for a little better rig, once you get to Wyoming, check out a local gunshop there, tell the helpful fella or gal behind the counter that you've been using the nylon rig but are looking to find something a little nicer. With luck, they'll fix you right up; if not, you get to check out some more Wyoming gun shops.

Other possibility: I'm real fond of the U.S. military M3 shoulder holster. It's what I wore as an army tank crewman back in the 1960s, and they're simple and reasonably inexpensive. Since the originals are now collectors pieces brionging collectors prices, and since the WWII originals are now 65-years old, you'd want a good quality reproduction. The M3 uses a single shoulder strap [unlike the later M7, which has 2, plus a loop for the belt] and a nice simple belt snap. They're not really meant as a concealment rig, though a GI field jacket covers one up nicely, but mine is most commonly worn over a T-shirt. If you've ever seen the movie *The Wild Bunch*, the .45 Auto that William Holden's character is wearing is in an M3; they also work very nicely for my Browning GP and the WWII Walther P-38.

You can order one for $20.95 from Numrich Gun Parts Company, http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=978990A&chrSuperSKU=978990&MC=

Or you can get a slightly nicer one from these folks for $45.00: http://www.uswings.com/milacc.asp

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
In Wyoming, it might be too much skin, hat or not.  >:D

lol....yup.

I think in Wyoming with the weather, too much skin might be a problem, even on your own land with no neighbors.

I'm going to have to get used to long pants. Haven't worn them in years. Ordered some Wranglers to get me back into it.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.