Author Topic: Snowbird voters?  (Read 6801 times)

Offline EverMoreBoldly

Snowbird voters?
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »
In the Wyoming Report in Molon Labe, mention is made of already-resident Libertarians "sponsoring" additional Libertarian voters (through the use of their address) who do not live in Wyoming year round. I wouldn't mind visiting Wyoming once in a while and changing my voter registration if this will help. Is anyone else doing this?

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
Re: Snowbird voters?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:48:30 AM »
In the Wyoming Report in Molon Labe, mention is made of already-resident Libertarians "sponsoring" additional Libertarian voters (through the use of their address) who do not live in Wyoming year round. I wouldn't mind visiting Wyoming once in a while and changing my voter registration if this will help. Is anyone else doing this?

Not sure exactly what you mean here, but no one here is advocating or engaging in anything like voter fraud.
Moving to Wyoming, being a fully legal resident and registered voter means just that. 

Molon Labe is a work of fiction and FSW isn't the book.

No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »
Yes, no voter fraud, we are not ACORN.

He brings up a good question, though.  What are the minimum residency requirements?  If someone were to live there for, say a month out of each year, register to vote, and not vote elsewhere, would it be legal? Three months?  Six months plus one day?  There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of "loopholes", or whatever quirks there are in the laws, so long as it is within the letter of the law.

I ask, because until I can fully move, one of my options might be to buy a small plot, put a trailer on it (or get a camper or motorhome), and do the Galt's Gulch thing of spending one month a year there, with a plan to expand it over time.  I think if I owned property and lived on it each year for a month, and cancelled my AZ registration, I'd feel morally justified in calling that my home for voting purposes, but I don't know what the law says.

Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:43:21 AM »
Would it be voter fraud?

I own property in several states.  I pay state and local taxes on all of them.  Why should I not be able to vote in each state for state and local issues that affect me? 

Naturally, voting in any National (Presidential) election more than once would be improper. But why should I not be able to vote for the Senators/Congressmen in each state?  And certainly for State and local candidates and issues.

After all, no taxation without representation! 
Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Dirttime Dude

• Rather Interested
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »

Being a longtime RVer, what has been asked is not out of the ordinary.
 Many full timer RV folkks have a resident addy, many use So Dakota , or Oregon etc, places that hve low or no state tax.
 There are about 3 million "fulltime" RVers in the U.S.

I belong to the "Escapees" a national RV club based in Texas.
 They have discounts in many RV parks.

Thousands of folks have legal residents in Texas, So. Dakota, etc, but are only there short periods of time.
 You have to have and pay that pesky license, it has to have  registration someplace.
 That becomes your legal rez...
 Some folks only show up to re up the license.
 It is legal to have a drivers license in one state and have your RV or car/truck registration from a nother state

If you visit any of the RV forums, it is explained in a heart beat.
 There are many books about the RV fulltime life and they contain info that gets you through the legal mire.

Some full time Rvers like to have a home base, that be anywhere. But does not have to be your legal rez or not .
 In Quartzite, Arizona , every Feb, the Snowbirds hit like a flock of huge Motorhomes of every size and age from all ,over the U.S.
 I have "boondocked" in the desert for up to 3 months.
 The little twon swell to about  a million people.

While there you can learn about RV life and how you can have a legal rez etc... It aint too hard.
 Hundreds of thousands do it.

Dude...check yer6

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot

Offline EverMoreBoldly

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:15:42 PM »
I wasn't talking about breaking the laws on voting, I just thought someone around the forums might know what the law is in Wyoming about this.

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:16:03 AM »
You certainly could stay at a friend's house, on and off, rent a room, or part of the basement, and have your mail delivered there. No law against that. Not much different than having a "resident address" as explained above.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Dirttime Dude

• Rather Interested
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »

You can have a mail drop as your "official rez..."

They will collect your mail and forward it to you any place.

What still works is good old "General Delivery" ... Give your maildrop person the P.O you will be collect the mail at.
 the zip etc. You have to have ID, ( DL) you have about a two week time frame to pick up your package. I think is supposed to 30 days.

I have done this all over the U.S while I have been on the road for several months at a time.
 Also when I was working with groups, we got our bills, and mail this way. etc.

As I mentioned. Go to an RV forum and ask about Wyoming. they will have the answer.
 Several books are also availble for full time RVers, those rules, directions can apply to you..
 You are no different. With or without an RV, does not matter.

Dude...check yerownsix
I have been where the hand of man has never set foot

Offline Bigduane

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »
I thought about buying a old RV and fixing it up over the next three years but I dont know if there are any year-round RV parks or campgrounds in Northeast Wyoming. I will scout around when I come up for a visit in the spring-summer of 2010.
 Bigduane
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 01:54:48 PM »
It's called the KOA of BLM/FS Land...just gotta move every fourteen days... ;)

Just about every house has an old camper on it...some in use, some just waiting...

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »
Might find a campground here...    http://www.wyomingtourism.org/placestostay?view=List&features=(31164)

" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Bigduane

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 12:32:49 PM »
If I have to move every 14 days it could get to be a hassle after 6 or 7 months. :o I guess I better not remove the wheels ::)
 Bigduane
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »
Just how far does one have to move?
Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 06:13:28 PM »
Six months plus one day?

I'm pretty sure that makes one a legal resident in Wyoming.

If I wanted to spend most of my time in Wyoming, in a snowbird type situation, I'd seriously consider making myself a legal resident somewhere else. Just like if I wanted a CC license to use in Wyoming, I'd look at a Utah license. Might as well take advantage of your situation and "stay off the radar" of the bureaucrats.

I realize this does not exactly align with FSW principles. Shhh, don't tell anybody.  ;)

On the other hand, being a Wyoming resident is not particularly onerous...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:15:28 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
I'd seriously consider making myself a legal resident somewhere else. Just like if I wanted a CC license to use in Wyoming, I'd look at a Utah license. Might as well take advantage of your situation and "stay off the radar" of the bureaucrats.

Why would it make any difference? They all share information of all kinds now.

I realize this does not exactly align with FSW principles. Shhh, don't tell anybody.  ;)

Why would it violate FSW principles? If someone wants to juggle multiple state nonsense, why should FSW people care as long as they are not harming anyone?

On the other hand, being a Wyoming resident is not particularly onerous...

That's the best part. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.