Author Topic: What to do when the wife hates snow.  (Read 9268 times)

Offline laramierancher

• Social Type
Re: What to do when the wife hates snow.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 06:07:21 AM »
True, but for every 1,000 ft elevation, subtract 2 degrees Centigrade.  Star Valley is 6,000 ft + and most of Sublette Country (Pinedale, Big Piney) is 7,000 ft +.

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
True, but for every 1,000 ft elevation, subtract 2 degrees Centigrade.  Star Valley is 6,000 ft + and most of Sublette Country (Pinedale, Big Piney) is 7,000 ft +.

Yeah. The Star Valley area (the only area of WY that I have an real life experience in) seems to be it's own little region for weather. I get frequent email updates from family that live there and it seems they get snow every time I hear about anyone else getting rain.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline cody

• Casual Observer
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 09:13:03 AM »
Some thoughts on cold weather,

Three things to consider, 1) Women often pay more attention to looking nice than men, 2) Women often have less body mass and get cold easier, 3) Dressing appropriately is not as easy as it seems. 

Putting more bulky clothes on is not always the way to go. Thinner layers under the lightest coat or windbreaker possible may be best. She can strip off layers and not feel bulky when she wants.  I live in MN and it took a few years to find the right combinations of clothes for walking, working and sitting outside in very cold weather.

Make sure you are open to ensuring your lady friend/wife/daughter has nice looking warm clothes, hat and gloves. Not Pillsbury dough boy working mans overalls, and barn boots. (Smile)  Don't insist she tough it out, wait till she enjoys it for her self.

Having said all that, I have only marginal success getting my Honey out to enjoy the MN Winters.

enJoy,
Cody

Chance favors the prepared

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »
Good advice. Layering is especially important when it is seriously cold because you do not want to sweat! In the beginning, I found I put on too much rather than too little. Coming from the So. Calif. desert, it took me a while to get adjusted, but I'm doing very well now.

I'd also suggest that folks remain well hydrated, especially if you have wood heat. It took me a while to learn that, even though I came from the desert! When it is cold, I do not feel thirst as I do when it is warm, so must actually schedule some plain water intake each day. If you are dehydrated, the cold will affect you much more.

Wear a hat at all times outdoors, even if it doesn't seem too cold. You lose a great deal of heat from your unprotected head. Keep your feet and hands warm and dry too.

There are many fabrics and materials now to help with this process. Silk long underwear is expensive, but it feels SOOOO good, and insulates as well or better than wool, without the bulk. Fine silk gloves are an excellent liner for heavier mittens or gloves. You can take off the bulkier outer glove to do things like put a key in a door, without stripping your hand bare to the zero wind.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyoprairielady

• Casual Observer
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »
Silk is nice, but polypropylene is the magic under garment.  Honestly, most folks are not out in the weather for extended periods of time.  If  a person intends to sit for whatever reason, there are many items to aid in keeping warm.  Hand warmers and feet warmers work well.  If a person is active, layering is the best solution.
No guts, no glory.  No pain no gain.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »
Silk is nice, but polypropylene is the magic under garment. 

I don't have a lot of experience with this, obviously, but I would always opt for a natural fiber instead of a synthetic. I had a pair of the poly glove liners and gave them away. Made my hands sweat, even when it was below zero. Each person has to find what works for them, obviously. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »

"Women often have less body mass and get cold easier" 

"Less body mass"  Oh, Cody's sweet. 

...And smart too!

~TG
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline tenacio

• FSW Associate
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I’m with several women, and we all walk out into the weather, where it is quite cold, around zero.  Immediately one of them says, “I’m cold!”  I reply (with typical male logic  ;)), “No, you’re not cold.  You feel the cold air, and you’re getting colder, but you’re not cold.  I feel the cold air, but I won’t be cold for twenty minutes or so.”  To which she reasserted, “I’m cold!”  My lesson is not that women defy logic (though some may argue ;D), my lesson is that some women perceive cold differently than men do.
There is no comparison between that which is lost by not succeeding and that which is lost by not trying.
- Sir Francis Bacon

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »

Tenacio nailed it.

I keep a "Chick Jacket" in the car for such occasions. It's amazing
how many times we get to stay longer at some cool place due to a simple
jean jacket placed around the shoulders.

A stylish down jacket in black might do for the snow.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 05:40:22 PM »
AAHwwww, comon guys, be creative! Winter is a great excuse to get a whole new wardrobe! Pick up any ski magazine and look through it. Cabelas has some far out ladies winter fashions too!

Then, gat her a ski pass! >:D