Author Topic: introduction and hello  (Read 39643 times)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: introduction and hello
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
Would it be great if she or Brownstone COULD handle it themselves without risking jail or getting sued? Yes, but we don't live in a perfect free world, if it was I would have a pony & a puppy.  ;D

Indeed... but as far as I'm concerned, the only thing that would require defensive force is something that threatened my life. I'm not prepared to use force for much of anything else. Everything else is pretty much negotiable in THIS kind of community. In a big city? Whole different can of worms.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline pelletfarmer

• Rather Interested
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »
> at least into putting covers on them to prevent light escaping the immediate area.

Yeah, that makes great sense.  There should be some way to limit the light to the desired area, a partial shield or something.  I'm in the country myself and virtually everyone here has one, but they're not getting into anyone's field of vision.  I guess it's the same issue as smoking or barbecues or noise.

This stuff is why I'm utterly convinced that the way of the future is small, very tight communities.

> it's doubtful a SWAT team will be called out for trash on the neighbor's yard

Ha...not until the second visit, anyway.

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »
Susan, maybe we ought to start a "Beautiful Wyoming Night Skies Association". I too am irritated with those pole lights, particularly the halogen ones with a lot of blue light that wash out the atmosphere (the yellow sodium are the least harmful). Maybe we can start to talk people into being good neighbors and not using them, or at least into putting covers on them to prevent light escaping the immediate area. We can lobby the legislature - NOT.   :)

While I fully agree that sending an armed agent over to the neighbor is the same as going over armed yourself (except less risky to yourself and therefore less admirable), we have to realize that in any society there will be means to keep neighbors within reasonable bounds of conduct. But in our society, government has usurped much of the means (there is still the possibility of fencing and the like). It's a bit like the situation with roads. You know in a free society there would be roads, but government has usurped the road function, so we use the government roads. I'm a bit less inclined to look down on someone, particularly someone in a city, for calling an armed agent when all other alternatives don't work (provided its a provocation you can't simply put up with). We maybe tend to judge others more than we should. Anyway it's doubtful a SWAT team will be called out for trash on the neighbor's yard...

Oh my gosh. And then the Wyoming Night Skies Association would get legislation passed that said that outdoor lights can't bleed onto neighboring properties or into the night sky?

Hmmm....something a bit wrong with that approach, somehow, although I agree with the goal - my neighbor shouldn't have a light that shines into my house or onto my property.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
Read again. I specifically eliminated the idea of legislation.  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline pelletfarmer

• Rather Interested
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2013, 05:41:30 AM »
Besides...if someone really wanted to turn to arms, she could just shoot out the lights!

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2013, 05:43:51 AM »
Besides...if someone really wanted to turn to arms, she could just shoot out the lights!

Trust me... the thought HAS crossed my mind... but... sigh

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
Question:

If I shoot a deer on land I have permission to hunt on, and the deer jumps over a fence to someone else's land am I out of luck? I know the happy answer is work it out with the other landowner, but if the other land owner says thanks for the fresh meat and takes it home am I out of luck? Are they stealing? Who gets to decide? How is that decision enforced?

Steve,

If an ill placed shot (or as I tell myself, a VERY robust whitetail) decides to take its last breath across a property line, friendly or not, I call to let them know where and why I’ll be there. This includes the State Park Rangers, which also borders some hunting ground of mine.  I have heard tales that what you posed has happened, and just mentioning to the property owner that you will be contacting the DNR to let them know you have made every attempt to tag your deer, but cannot, will resolve the issue in rapid fashion.

Yes, this is another armed leg of tptb, and you’d be “threatening” to use their force, but that is what our unborn grandchildren will be paying taxes for. The neighbor will very quickly realize that with one well-placed call, they would be facing time in prison and a potential felony charge for many numbers of reasons.

As a matter of fact, one story in particular ended with the neighbor lending the hunter his quad!  :D ;D :D

YMMV, and this was not in WY
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 06:30:39 AM »
   Yes, this is another armed leg of tptb, and you’d be “threatening” to use their force, but that is what our unborn grandchildren will be paying taxes for. The neighbor will very quickly realize that with one well-placed call, they would be facing time in prison and a potential felony charge for many numbers of reasons.

And so, with that threat you've totally alienated that land owner, probably permanently. Might work if you never wanted to hunt there again... but might work much better for everyone to negotiate without threats. Just an idea. Not saying you, personally, wouldn't consider friendly negotiations first, but I wouldn't think threats like this productive even if that failed. Would seem far better to me to just keep on hunting...

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
Welcome, kharakterc! You'll need to make at least 5 (I think) reply posts before you'll be able to start a thread.

I live in Weston county, just a hop, skip and a jump from Crook... we like it best here, but you'll get the sales pitch from the others in Crook, no doubt. LOL

Hope you can get here in time to attend the annual camp out. No date set yet, but we're working on it.

I'm a So. Calif. escapee from the high desert area between Victorville and Yucca Valley, also a retired AP RN, so I suspect we'll have lots to talk about. :)