Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Lost

Hello!
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »
Hello Wyoming!  I'm a young libertarian from the east coast (CT specifically).  I was planning to move to New Hampshire and join their Free State Project after traveling and seeing our beautiful country for 6 months.  I hiked 500 miles on the AT (GA to VA) and then decided I needed variety and the open road.  I pointed my car west and didn't stop until New Mexico.  Since then I have seen many of our natural wonders and met a lot of great people.  There is something about the grand scale of the west coast that the New England states just can't offer.  The peaceful seclusion is incredible, and I finally feel like I can relax and breathe.  Unfortunately I can't relax just yet, because like everyone I need to work and make a living.  I hate to get on here and beg for info about jobs (I'm sure a lot of people do just that), but I can't camp and stay in hostels forever.  If anyone can point me a a good direction I would be extremely grateful.  I would happily do any outdoor job, and at this point any work altogether.  Beyond that I have the standard concerns housing etc, but I have do with little for a long time now, and I am sure I will be fine.  If I can't find work for the summer I will see you guys for ski season.

Offline KentuckyRifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:30:47 AM »
Hello Lost,

Welcome aboard! My wife and I were in the same shape as you. I found my job on wyomingatwork.com, it really is a GREAT job resource. You can also check out Craigslist, and the newspaper classifieds online from the Casper and Gillette papers.

Gillette would probably be a fairly easy place for you to get a job like you are describing.

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
SKI SEASON!!! WO HOOO, I got another new dog to play with ;D Ya know, all the ski resorts hire all the time and most will put you up too. Grand Targhee is my personal favorite but there are many to choose from here in Wyoming. We have REAL powder up here. >:D Have you ever skiied with yer rifle?

Offline Barry Turner

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
Ski season just started here:
Red Lodge International Ski and Snowboard Camp:
http://www.rlissc.com/index.html

Article in the Billings Gazette, "High-altitude adventure":
http://billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/05/28/features/outdoors/18-high.txt

For jobs and housing, also look at newspaper websites from around Wyoming you can find listed at the Wyoming Press Association:
http://www.wyopress.org/
A lie can travel halfway round cyberspace while the truth is logging into its blog.  BT

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »
Drove Red Lodge down to Cody across the Beartooth & down Chief Joseph Hwy today...went right past the Int'l Ski & Snowboard Camp, talk about a gorgeous locale.  Friggin' Awesome scenery and with the road just opening last week...plenty o' snow up high AND virtually no tour-ists yet.

Here's a pic from the ski-lift area I just found on-line...not quite that snow covered down slope, but still gorgeous...now if only the kids had behaved  :-\

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me