Author Topic: Wow, the forums are alive and well...  (Read 36865 times)

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
Wow, the forums are alive and well...
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
I've been browsing around for a while, didn't get around to registering until just now.  I was looking on the main site (the main www.freestatewyoming.org site) and it looks like the group is dead from that page (last event is like 2007, last update is around 2008?)

But obviously the forums are alive and kicking...  I'm wondering... I'm a person who believes "If one state gave the Federal Government a big middle finger and said 'anything outside Article 1 Section 8 is void within our borders', I'd move there in a second", I have a feeling that there are a ton of other people out there just like me (I happen upon them by chance without even looking, trust me, they're out there).  But they come across the main website and think "oh, that must not be going on anymore, I guess I shouldn't bother..."

That being said, is there any interest in putting together a group of five or ten folks from on here to pre-write some blog updates for the main page?  Basically, my thought is if a page has a weekly update, people will come back once a week or so to check on it.  If you have daily updates but don't keep up on them, people stop coming...  So I say shoot for a weekly update, if we pre-write 30 or 40 posts, and then add in additional "events" posts as new things happen throughout the year, we've got a whole year covered.

I'm thinking just stuff like stories about your daily life, trips, photo journals of trips, possibly a good video about Wyoming, etc...  And then events Could be anything, a picnic, a Tea Party, whatever...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I'd be willing to help out, though I'm currently living in an area that has 10 times the population in just the Detroit Metro area, as Wyoming has in the entire state.  Heck, the population of what would be my congressional district if I were "allowed" to run (asinine Hatch Act, not getting into it here...) is about the same as the population of the entire state of Wyoming... I love it!!

Honestly, I'd love to see this happen... my thought is all this Federal Government BS would end right quick if one state just stood up and said that anything outside Article 1 Section 8 is null and void, and that the citizens of that state are not going to pay for any part of those programs.  The president wouldn't have the balls to send in the military, and even if he tried, no military commander is going to obey that order to invade another state to enforce blatantly unconstitutional federal laws.  If they did, then we'd know just what kind of problem we have on our hands, in that a group of people are no longer allowed to choose to live free...  But that worst case is incredibly unlikely to happen regardless.

Offline Jack-O

• Needs To Get Out More
  • Friend since April 2006
Re: Wow, the forums are alive and well...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:53:01 AM »
It's a lot easier to follow in the footsteps of others than to make your own isnt it?

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:36 AM »
Matt,
What you describe is a long continuing problem. It's been suggested over and over and over. Nothing ever gets done. We don't have anyone dedicated to maintaining it. It just kinda goes and goes. Everybody (?) agrees it would be beneficial to keep it updated, but nothing happens.

As you said, our forum is quite active.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
Howdy Matt, glad you found the real action here at the forum.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:42:56 AM »
It's a lot easier to follow in the footsteps of others than to make your own isnt it?

Not sure how I'm supposed to take that reply... but...

Anyhow, I'd be willing to head it up, I've done it for my own personal business, for others businesses, and for election campaigns for friends of mine, though I don't have a whole lot of the content myself, having never even visited Wyoming to this point yet.  I don't care *where* freedom happens (though I'm preferenced towards the west), I just want to make it happen.

I don't even know how many people we have active, but seriously, five people could easily put together a few stories, photo journals, or blog posts, and I could organize them on the front page, just post-date them, so they show up automatically for months to come.  Over those months, the same (or other) people can write more stories, find more videos that were already produced, whatever, and we'd add those to the blog post-dated as well.  There would be like 30 posts on the blog, but they wouldn't show up to the public until the date they're scheduled to be published.

Like I said, I could organize it, it wouldn't take a whole lot of time once the content is there, and I could probably find some content myself.  It wouldn't have to be Wyoming specific, it could be like this great video I just saw on PJTV today by Bill Whittle, absolutely incredible: http://www.pjtv.com/v/3608

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »
Matt, thanks for your ideas and willingness to help.
Last year I implemented some of this, but without much subsequent addition from FSWers.

Matt,
What you describe is a long continuing problem. It's been suggested over and over and over. Nothing ever gets done. We don't have anyone dedicated to maintaining it. It just kinda goes and goes. Everybody (?) agrees it would be beneficial to keep it updated, but nothing happens.

O......K......, again, let me say once more what I've been saying for at least two years now:
Neither I nor our webmistress Lady Liberty are responsible for creating new FSW-type content. 
FSWers are responsible for new content.

I will, with LL's help, make sure that such is accessible through www.freestatewyoming.org page.
And, we've done some of this. 
Since February 2009, there have been three forum thread links on our FSW.org homepage.
Here's is an overview of what's been contributed there since 2/2009:

Since this was linked to FSW.org over a year ago, just 2 people have posted their "Why":
MacAaron, and Kelly. 

Just three weeks of activity there, and the last post was on September 23, 2007.
None of them, btw, really expanded on the theme.

Only 4 FSWers have created a blog (Mac, MamaLiberty, Brandy, and Erik),
and not one since I linked the thread to FSW.org

Prospective Free State Wyoming (FSW) Members and Interested Parties
   Welcome to Free State Wyoming (FSW)
   Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
   Prospective Free State Wyoming (FSW) Members and Interested Parties

Free State Wyoming (FSW) Promotional
   Making the Case for Moving Toward Freedom (and Wyoming!)
   Marketing and Media Coverage of Free State Wyoming (FSW)

LL can fine-tune the site for it to reflect more currently, but there is no point in
that without fresh content.  That is up to you all.

Thanks,
Boston

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 12:58:20 PM »
Hey Boston, thanks for the update on that.  Being a quasi-web guy myself, I'd suggest just taking the "announcements" portion of the main page, and turning it into a blog.  It may already be a blog, just titled announcements, I dunno.

Do you have an idea of how many people there are participating on the FSW forums, and how many others are out there who could be convinced to at least write something (or take pictures, or video?), and have someone else put it into digital format?  I have no clue how many people are involved so that one would have to be on you...

I know a billion people, but if I had to put together an article a week, I can count on probably two hands the number of people that I could rely on to supply me with one well written story, some good pictures with a few words, or a video, on a regular basis.

That being said, do you have a few close folks you could count on that if you said "Hey, can you put together (or find) two or three stories, slideshows with words, or videos, for me to put on the FSW main page"?  If you got 15 different posts, that'd last you almost to the end of the summer, and in the meantime, those same people (or others) could write and/or find others to add on.  There's a ton of great things out there, we could literally just use what others have written or produced and just link to them.  Look at a totally unrelated website www.crossfit.com that puts up the following: a picture, a workout, a video or two, and a quote or article for everyone to discuss in comments.  They do that every day, and have done it for about 8 years now I think.

I guarantee you they use the same plan, they've got to have a backlog of a billion pictures and quotes to use, plus some videos and articles that come up in recent news, and just put 'em out when it fits.

Like I said, I'd be willing to help with this if we can get the content, and I can supply a boatload of articles or videos myself (the one I linked to earlier from PJTV would be great).  Check out that video, maybe make that the first update in the blog section...

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »
My apologies to Seniortech, for not forwarding on his touching story at:

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=7164.0

I've asked him to paste it into the thread "FSW members explain: Why I moved to Wyoming!"
so that it has his username rather than mine.  I should have thought of that in March -- sorry, John!

FSW members explain: Why I moved to Wyoming!
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=3408.0

What makes a "Wyoming person"?
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=4999.msg36335#msg36335

Thanks,
Boston

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »
Matt, thanks for your ideas and willingness to help.
Last year I implemented some of this, but without much subsequent addition from FSWers.

Boston

Boston, reading through this thread I'm not sure if I took things the same way as you so I wanted to offer a point of clarification on how I took the comments.
I don't see that anyone is saying that they want you to do more, rather that they are offering to help so you don't have to do as much. Most of the comments seem to be saying that the page looks abandoned because it says things like "coming soon" that are well over a year old.

The events section could be done away with or put a live link straight to the forums events section.

The forums are where it's all at. I wish I had the knowledge of how to update things, as I have the time.... But it might be best to link everything on the home page over to the forums so when people come to the page they don't think that the FSW has been abandoned.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline Stratispho

• Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »

Thanks,
Boston

Boston, that link gives the following error. "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

just a heads up.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
Yeah, linking to the forums is ok for info, but it might be best to just cut and paste info from the forums and throw it right on the main page.  A lot of folks out there aren't interested in forums, or reading them, but they'll read a "news article" on the main page.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:15 PM »

Here's an article that describes how to show forum feeds onto a blog.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »

Thanks,
Boston

Boston, that link gives the following error. "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

just a heads up.

Hmmmm.. worked for me OK?  Maybe Boston fixed something in the mean time?
No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline Stratispho

• Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »

Thanks,
Boston

just a heads up.

Hmmmm.. worked for me OK?  Maybe Boston fixed something in the mean time?

You must have a different forum access level then I. I just tried it again and no such luck.  ???

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:40:37 PM »
You must have a different forum access level then I. I just tried it again and no such luck.  ???
He does.

Heck, the population of what would be my congressional district if I were "allowed" to run (asinine Hatch Act, not getting into it here...) is about the same as the population of the entire state of Wyoming.
So is the population of everyone else's Congressional district.  It's no coincidence.  They couldn't give half a representative to the least-populous state, see.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:00:13 AM by John »