Author Topic: Wow, the forums are alive and well...  (Read 36853 times)

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
Re: Wow, the forums are alive and well...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
Regarding the automatic refreshing of the website, IIRC, there was/is? some
kind of technical snag in doing so according to Lady Liberty.  I'll revisit that
admin thread and see if I can slice the Gordian Knot.

If the process can be automated without too much work by our volunteer webmistress,
that'd be ideal.  She's very busy with paying work elsewhere. 

The older year dates, I agree, should be refreshed.
I'll work on that next week. 

Nevertheless, if all that's done, it still doesn't solve the problem of dribbling FSWer submissions.
Of the three forum links, at least one of them should suffice for new material! 
Start producing it, and you'll reinvigorate me in sprucing up the website.   ;)

SUBMIT your FSW website content here!
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=7164.0

is in the "FSW Member and Associate general discussion" board.
I figured that only they should be allowed to offer FSW website content.
Sorry, Stratispho, for the confusion there.

Boston

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »

Boston

Makes sense. I'll be a real FSW'er one day... as soon as I can get my wife up there (summer of 2011 is planned) and have her realize it's gorgeous and not a barren wasteland/iceland
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline KentuckyRifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

Boston

Makes sense. I'll be a real FSW'er one day... as soon as I can get my wife up there (summer of 2011 is planned) and have her realize it's gorgeous and not a barren wasteland/iceland

One of the keys to sales is to under promise and over deliver. You undoubtedly face a sales job with your wife and quite frankly, much of Wyoming is pretty barren and there is a lot of wasteland. Do some real research in advance and plan carefully.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »
Much depends on one's definition of "wasteland," etc.

For some, the vast grasslands are "wastelands" and our beautiful forests are "scrubby."

My niece came to visit last week. There are more people in the city where she lives than in all of Wyoming. I suspect she won't be coming back soon. She likes LOTS of people.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 09:13:46 AM »
Much depends on one's definition of "wasteland," etc.

For some, the vast grasslands are "wastelands" and our beautiful forests are "scrubby."

My niece came to visit last week. There are more people in the city where she lives than in all of Wyoming. I suspect she won't be coming back soon. She likes LOTS of people.

Only thing about the "rural city" I dig here in Michigan is the folks drive like they've got somewhere to be.  I like LOTS of room to drive.  The speed being dictated by the traffic, weather, and road conditions :)  Actually I don't drive all that fast, but am just annoyed when I go to a "slow pace lifestyle" area where folks are driving 45 in a 50 zone, and can't pass them.  If I can pass 'em somewhere, I'll be just fine in Wyoming :)

And on another note, Boston, I'll start writing an article similar to my post here: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=9481.msg85575#msg85575
Basically just a short writeup on how folks today are hamstrung because of debt, not because it's all that expensive to live like they think.  I'll write an article, could be a blog post at first, and then linked to in the FAQ or something down the road if you wanted, or even put in a "don't think you could leave your job for a new life of freedom" headline or something...

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 09:34:51 AM »
I like LOTS of room to drive.  The speed being dictated by the traffic, weather, and road conditions :)  Actually I don't drive all that fast, but am just annoyed when I go to a "slow pace lifestyle" area where folks are driving 45 in a 50 zone, and can't pass them.  If I can pass 'em somewhere, I'll be just fine in Wyoming :)

We are generally not in a big hurry here. We watch and hit the brake for deer, antelope and other critters. Not much traffic on the highways, but some rural roads are rough and might have herds of cattle that must be waited for, or side by side ranch trucks with the guys shooting the breeze for a moment.

You may learn to enjoy the slower pace out here. But there's probably enough room to pass us by most of the time. Just slow down at dawn and twilight a little more. Hitting a deer or antelope can do serious damage to your travel time, not to mention your vehicle. :)

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
I like LOTS of room to drive.  The speed being dictated by the traffic, weather, and road conditions :)  Actually I don't drive all that fast, but am just annoyed when I go to a "slow pace lifestyle" area where folks are driving 45 in a 50 zone, and can't pass them.  If I can pass 'em somewhere, I'll be just fine in Wyoming :)

We are generally not in a big hurry here. We watch and hit the brake for deer, antelope and other critters. Not much traffic on the highways, but some rural roads are rough and might have herds of cattle that must be waited for, or side by side ranch trucks with the guys shooting the breeze for a moment.

You may learn to enjoy the slower pace out here. But there's probably enough room to pass us by most of the time. Just slow down at dawn and twilight a little more. Hitting a deer or antelope can do serious damage to your travel time, not to mention your vehicle. :)

I've done my share of night time driving in Michigan, deer litter the roads here, probably not as much wildlife as in Wyoming still, but driving in the Upper Peninsula at night is a whole new experience...  Regardless, yeah, when the sun starts to go down, the speeds typically come down regardless of what speed I was going before.  Limit here is 70, when I had sports cars, I'd routinely drive 80 in the day, and drop it down to 70 at night.  Though I'd be comfortable regularly driving 95+ on the roads here in a sports car, the cops think that's dangerous despite nobody else being on the road, so to avoid ever getting a speeding ticket (zero so far), I didn't...

Anyhow, regardless, still sounds like a fun place, I prefer to see beat up roads, dirt and gravel, etc, it shows that people aren't holding a gun to citizens heads demanding money to pave roads that don't need to be paved.  Nothing gets me more than seeing every single residential road here paved, it's so absurd...  Millions of dollars to do that, just wasted, and taken right from our pockets.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »
I read the opening post and agree completely.

I wondered if the FSW was dead so I emailed info@ and the message was bounced back as not receiveing messages. Then I forwarded that to the address for site mainanance and got no reply.

Glad I decided to check the Forum link!
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline Trenks

• Reader
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
Good to hear someone talk about the roads. Roads are taken for granted as an integral part of your environment and life. There are paths and places. you are either going somewhere or there. One of the biggest things I missed about Wisconsin when I moved to New Hampshire were all the country roads that connected in WI. In NH, none of the country roads really connect.....they do, but not always at they are all curving, irregular and seemingly random. In WI, you have the gridded farm roads which are so easy and fun to navigate and ride.

I love old country roads like the dirt roads described in third post up or so. The wide open spaces in WY are wonderful. In NH, people are too slow and too nice on the road. One person will stop 20 cars and trucks on a highway to let another guy turn left in front of him. Its nerve racking. And there are an incredible amount of stop lights in Manchester and other cities. its unbelievable. They have a stop light at a major highway for a big box store and a private residential community.

There is more freedom in roads without so many cars and restrictive lights and limits.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 05:42:44 AM »
Welcome. Come visit Newcastle here in the NE. They have one corner with lights, but if they vanished I don't expect most people would notice. You might see a single vehicle on all four sides, but not often.

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:30 AM »
I did not expect to see a camera in Newcastle ML, the net is getting wider!

PS.   Why is this topic in this thread?   ???
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 06:19:43 AM »

Not a camera. It's a retrofit thing to signal when someone comes into the intersection so the light changes. Folks were getting stuck there. :)

And I put that picture in to show Trenks what "rush hour" looks like in Newcastle. LOL

Offline Trenks

• Reader
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 07:25:28 AM »
So the intersections are alive and well as well!  ;)  Looking forward to traveling around the state visiting places like Newcastle. Is there another place besides this forum that FSW folks chat?

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 07:29:17 AM »
So the intersections are alive and well as well!  ;)  Looking forward to traveling around the state visiting places like Newcastle. Is there another place besides this forum that FSW folks chat?

Occasional informal get togethers and the Jamboree. Most of us prefer face to face. :)

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »

Not a camera. It's a retrofit thing to signal when someone comes into the intersection so the light changes. Folks were getting stuck there. :)

And I put that picture in to show Trenks what "rush hour" looks like in Newcastle. LOL

Actually, that IS a CCTV camera and can be used for motion detection.
"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson