Author Topic: The American Redoubt -- Move to the Mountain States  (Read 94744 times)

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Re: The American Redoubt -- Move to the Mountain States
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
No problem, Veretekk.  I get you.

Good advice, Terence.  If this place sells, I won't be in any hurry to buy another for some time.  Home ownership ties one down, so will just go with the flow.  Wyoming works for me, but the mountains beckon more than the hills...guess Colorado has left its imprint on me in that way.  But, that could change. 

Kingskid
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »
I cant PM you Kingskid, the system will not let me. Maybe because I am still the new kid on the block around here.

Thomas

Easily changed, Thomas.  Apparently, you've already done the things the SOFI asks one
to promise. Just post yours for more expanded access to the forum:
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=5283.0

Thanks for the Cahn book recommendation.  It's available for audiobook download for $9.99
and look forward to listening to it.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »

Radio Free Redoubt: "The Voice of The American Redoubt"

A Communications Network and Radio show for "The American Redoubt".
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=13485.msg118489#msg118489
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline BonnieGadsden

• Reader
  • III Patriot
    • Bonnie Gadsden
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
I've been waiting for an opportunity to move to the American Redoubt, Idaho specifically.  My problem was finding employment.  A solution to my problem is taking shape with the establishment of the III Arms Company in Idaho.  This company will be the hub for a new community of American Patriots to radiate from.

I am working on getting my effects in order.  I will be joining you all in the Redoubt soon!

www.facebook.com/IIIArmsCompany

For Our Posterity
BonnieGadsden
III

Offline Thomas Prendergast

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Political Party: Pissed Off
    • Integrated Marketing
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
I have been busy here in the Big Horn Basin. My company was contacted by a "billionaire" impressed with what we have built.

He has contracted me and my company to run a campaign.

But before I get into what it is and how it could benefit many wanting to move here or those living here needing a hand up with income......

Can I advertise this campaign on this forum?

I do not see banners or such here.

Thomas Prendergast
The CEO of V2 a social marketing system for the business professional.
Live in Shell WY and run the businesses from home.

Apply now to a be a candidate

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »
I have been busy here in the Big Horn Basin. My company was contacted by a "billionaire" impressed with what we have built.

He has contracted me and my company to run a campaign.

But before I get into what it is and how it could benefit many wanting to move here or those living here needing a hand up with income......

Can I advertise this campaign on this forum?

I do not see banners or such here.

Thomas Prendergast

That would be Boston's call, Thomas, and he'd probably want more specifics
in a PM. Keep in mind we're planning a forum software upgrade which would probably
be necessary for banners and such.

Terence

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »
I'd like to move back to the northern Rockies somewhere, instead of the southern Rockies where I am right now. It's greener and wetter up there, for one thing!

The only things holding me back right now are trying to figure out where, and when. Will we be able to make a controlled move on our own initiative and in our own timing, moving such supplies and belongings as we'd like to have with us, or will it turn into a last-minute fleeing with only what fits on or in our vehicle?

I hope I have a few years or so to get ready so it can be a considered, thoughtful move - hopefully with a job lined up, for at least the first phase of the operation - rather than fleeing into the unknown, forced to survive on our wits and with what little we will have with us!

That said, here's the dilemma....ideally, we'd like a little acreage in order to be able to do some food-growing, maybe rabbits or chickens, etc. ... perferrably not too close to town, either. But those places are hard to find, and generally out of the question financially. Many of them are huge "vacation resort" type homes, when we'd just need a small place, maybe 1000 - 1200 sq ft tops if there was a root cellar or storage shed. We'd need jobs to be able to even save up a down payment and make payments, as the logistics of a move and living expenses until jobs are located (and perhaps the ever-present "first and last month's rent plus deposit") will take up most of the funds we'd have available.

How do other people manage to do it???

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
I doubt you have a few years. Even 1 year is a stretch in my opinion (which ain't worth much).

It's really not good to be a refugee. Much better to stay put and try to improve your situation locally (you already have the connections and contacts you need to survive). As long as you are not in New York or Chicago, or something like that, you should be OK.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
I doubt you have a few years. Even 1 year is a stretch in my opinion (which ain't worth much).

It's really not good to be a refugee. Much better to stay put and try to improve your situation locally (you already have the connections and contacts you need to survive). As long as you are not in New York or Chicago, or something like that, you should be OK.
What about a place without much water or rain, so growing food is difficult? :(

I had a garden a couple of years ago, and spent more on water than I would have spent just buying the meager amount of veggies I managed to grow!

We are saving food, but eventually that needs to be replaced, i.e., growing more.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »

Renting or purchasing modestly is the usual way.  How about a
work for land lease kind of thing?  Help a large landowner work their
land in return for a place to park your new RV.

There were several people from northern Colorado at the jam that seemed
pretty motivated to get out of there.  Why do all this work to get to a place
where these informed people want to leave?

Terence

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
As long as you are not in New York or Chicago, or something like that, you should be OK.

I doubt you'll have to worry much about NY or Chicago long term. The bridges over the Mississippi are falling apart and Illinois doesn't have the money to fix them.  :o And thats as they are now, to say nothing about someone giving the bridges a little help.  ;)
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »

Renting or purchasing modestly is the usual way.  How about a
work for land lease kind of thing?  Help a large landowner work their
land in return for a place to park your new RV.

There were several people from northern Colorado at the jam that seemed
pretty motivated to get out of there.  Why do all this work to get to a place
where these informed people want to leave?

Terence

I suppose I am concerned more about my profession - office work - not paying that well...and there is a limit to how much you can trim expenses.

As to northern Rockies...I was thinking either Wyoming or Montana, not Colorado. The Rockies go all the way up through British Columbia and Alberta, you know! I used to live in the northern Rockies in Montana, ages ago, so that part of the country has a warm place in my heart.

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »

What about a place without much water or rain, so growing food is difficult? :(

I had a garden a couple of years ago, and spent more on water than I would have spent just buying the meager amount of veggies I managed to grow!

Not sure where you are now, or where your top choice to end up is, but here's a couple ideas for you:

Greenhouses are fantastic and you could work one depending on where you land, if it's in Wyoming. You can grow anything indoors, too, you just need a basement, and extra room, or even a well-insulated shed. (Plus, you can do it year-round.) As for water shortage, don't be too shy when it comes to collecting water! Of course, the land and naturally-occuring plants need it too, but you can catch just enough for the garden you have and leave some to it's natural course, too.

Jobs: Office work doesn't pay much, you're right, but there are jobs out there- you just may need to work more hours than you want to get that jump start on a down payment.

I'm moving soon to WY, will be renting to start, and working as many hours as possible to save for my big and small goals. I figure I'd rather physically be where I want to be while reaching these goals than save up elsewhere and wait til the last minute to move.

Good luck to you as you figure it out, I hope you find a great place for your gardening. Until then, research indoor growing- it's feasible anywhere! 

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
We're in the desert here. Average annual rainfall is 7" with usually most of that in the summer, but we're far less than 2" this summer so far. I think maybe an inch at most - probably far less. That means we have to water trees, shrubs, etc. just to keep them alive. Trees are dying all over town because they aren't getting enough water to survive...and portions of the "mighty Rio Grande" are dry this year. We've had several years of drought in a row now - puts the midwest drought to shame.

Neither my significant other nor I have any grass at our homes - just trees (for shade) and a few shrubs. Nobody has basements here - all the homes are built on slabs - but we might be able to grow stuff in an underutilized room at his place.

Food's going to be expensive this winter and early next year, that's for sure! It would be nice to grow some.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
Nobody has basements here - all the homes are built on slabs

I've never understood that. Basements double you square footage at much less cost than the main floor, they are cool in the summer, don't freeze even if not heated in the winter. The only reasons I can see to not have a basement is if the water table is high, your to broke to add it or you're "building" a mobilehome.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.