Author Topic: Greetings One and All  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
Re: Greetings One and All
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 10:04:47 PM »
I'll be around in Sundance, and will be looking forward to seeing you.  PM sent with my details...........
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »
Yippe ki-aye,
Next week this time should find my wife and I in and about Wyoming. Cody. Heading east. Will visit with one, possibly two.
I've recently read that this area of the country has 2300+ mine openings.  Stephen King may find that appealing, what with a steady 50 degree temp most days, including rainy Tuesdays.  The DNR is going to spend tax dollars to close some of them, maybe install a few bat bars.
I suspect these mine openings will one day be the doorway to an escape that some may not want to take.  Legend has it that there's some sort of swamp ape there.  Eats trailmix, no doubt.
Most areas have tourist guides and sightseers.  Extend that, and everyone is either a tourist guide, or a sightseer.
A rising tide lifts all boats.  The tide can't help but rise.
Men for whom God is dead worship one another.  Crews

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
The plot thickens.

Or something.  My wife and I will  be in Wyoming by this Tuesday, Cody, is all goes well.  Overnight. We'll check out that musuem.  There's some one and onlys there, or few and far betweens that I'd like to see.

In 1984, I was head to Wyoming on I-80.  Made it as far as Des Moines.  Here I am again.  In '84, I was coming for work.  In '06, I'm coming because the state in which I reside will not let me work without its permission.  I am an angry man, thoroughly...(fill in the blank).  There's something about double jeopardy in the paper known as the constitution.  I've experienced multiple jeopardies and only those who give birth to multiple babies know what word describes the number I'm at.

I don't know what I'll find, though I have an idea.  I am an angry man.  Because I have to...no, not necassarily, I could stay here and wear vasaline...because I have to move to find what I shouldn't have to move to to find.  I am thoroughly...

Because if it is to be it is up to me.  And I've been known to fail miserably.  God help us all. 

A rising tide lifts all boats and the tide can't help but rise.  Maybe that's another reason for my anger...the idea that things will change eventually and that I could stay put.  I won't live that long.

Wyoming here I come.  I'll fill you in on the details later.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 08:22:48 AM »
I'm coming because the state in which I reside will not let me work without its permission.

I'm sorry, but Wyoming is the same in that respect. See for example Title 33:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx

Wyoming may be more "reasonable" in the level of regulation, compared to, say, California. But it still does it. And the reason it does it, is that those in the various professions begged the state to do it. To exclude the low-priced competition, of course. It is the same everywhere.

It may be possible to turn this around in Wyoming. But it won't be easy.

Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 04:31:23 PM »
That Title 33 makes it sound like the local sheriff is responsible for enforcing such and such.? Although safety is a concern, with the anti-business climate prevalent in the US of A, raising those concerns along with the attendant claim that there are unscrupulous businessmen taking advantage of the unwary, is all it takes to increase the size of that gigantic nose called government.? Like cocaine, safety and protection is a theme that the nose willingly sniffles.  And an unappreciated public is more than willing to look for, safety, protection...

Here in the great lakes state, unelected bureaucrats writing regulation and law is the definiton of something they tried for seventy years in Russia.? It didn't work there.? Why do people think that it can work here?? And in my case, when those same bureucrats have the three powers of government within their power, their flippant use of that power is felt by one, myself, alone, though I am but one of many.? No checks.? No balances.? Just blantant abuse of power and flippant and whimsical use of it.

Let's see, perhaps you should take a contract writing course.? Time passes.? We learn none is available, though the HBA has a disc and a book, written by a construction lawyer.? But that would be too easy.? Let us decide, then, for you to take a business law class. And it's a new concept in forced schooling, a win-win situation.? Never mind double jeopardy, triple, or quad, or whatever they have given birth to by now.? They are calling this latest punishment "voluntary".? Just sprayed the monitor. Sorry.

The sad and unfortunate truth is that there are those who buy the spiel.? Yeah, let's license people.? Nevermind that kings and queens in England decided who whould work in a given occupation.? ?Licensing has gone on for so long now that even if the rock could be stopped at the precipice, the likelihood of balancing it there is almost nil.? I'm willing to try balancing it there.? I believe it can be done.

Anyway, in 12 hours or less, my wife and I should be in the air and heding west.? If I was 21, I'd be there already, lock, stock and both barrels.? But I'm not.? I'm 47 in August and self-employed and this trip is a sacrifice.? Construction.? 200"+ of snow over the winter, lack of work.? Summetime.
We come back, I may pack it up and move.? This trip is a scouting mission.? I hope it all works out.

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 10:16:52 AM »
   My wife and I visited the great state of Wyoming at the end of June.
One word describes the state.? Awesome.? Incredible works as well.? If you've never been, go.
Noticeably lacking as we drove through is the absence of signs, the kind that say "visit Rock City," "mystery spot" and the like.? That kind of signage is visibly missing, at least across the north of the state where we traveled.

There is one sign we noticed, clearly an understatement, and nicely ambiguous, that tells motorists, "scenic area ahead".? ?My wife and I were amused each time we saw this sign, because when we looked around us, scenic areas were everywhere.? Apparently, these signs inform folk that they should slow down--the posted speed is often at least 65 MPH, 75 MPH on the interstate--so they can take advantage of a widened shoulder to stop and get out of the way of the another missing ingredient, roads filled with numerous travelers.

We landed in Billings, Montana on Tuesday, the 27th of June, and an experience in itself.? The airport is built on a bluff, a kind of plateau, and as I watched the ground rise to meet the descending plane, there was an alarming surprise as we touched down much before I expected.

After renting a car, we headed south toward Cody on Hwy 120.? We realized we were in Wyoming when we saw a sign, a "Welcome to Wyoming" sign made of wood, two round poles with the bark pulled off, stained dark, a round pole at the top, and a stained and painted wood plaque welcoming us.? Of course, we had to stop.? While we were taking pictures of each other, another motorist heading north pulled onto the widened shoulder and offered to take our photo.

I apologized for our obsolete digital camera, though he had yet to walk over to us.? Prior to departure, my wife picked up a small piece of technology, I believe it's called a photo card, the device that stores the pictures.? The saleswoman at the store here in Michigan had a condescending attitude, remarked that anything less than 8 million megapixels, or something like that, was inferior and shouldn't be considered by higher forms of evolution.? ?My wife thought, but didn't say aloud that we just wanted to take some pictures and to have enough capacity to take a lot of them.? The saleswoman asked my wife how big of a card she desired.? My wife shrugged and said 50 or so.? The saleswoman scoffed that nothing that inferior is even manufactured.? She purchased one that is advertised to hold 250, more on that later. This is life.

The other motorist told us it didn't matter what kind of camera we had and we felt confident in his abilities to capture the moment.? He did.? Admirably.? I felt awkward and embarrassed about being attended to by this stranger.? He asked where we were from.? Michigan.? Where in Michigan?? The Upper Peninsula.? Where?? Lake Linden.? He was from Michigan.? He was from Escanaba, about 2-3 hours south of home.? He'd moved to Colorado for the skiing, moved to Montana when the crowds moved there, too.? Where you headed?? Cody.? Going to Yellowstone?? No.? He was clearly disappointed in our answer.? We explained that we were short on time.? We left.? Continued south on Hwy 120, being amused at the "scenic area ahead" signs. Folk in Wyoming have a subtle sense of humor.

(Continued below)

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 10:18:59 AM »
Heading south, off to the right is a mountain ridge and as I recall, it's called the Beartooth Mountain Range.? Off to the left are smooth hills, valleys, gulleys, few trees, and shrubs.? I think we saw one lone pronghorn a thousand yards off to the left.? Any map will tell you that you cross streams, and we did.? Looking across the land, you don't see the streams until you cross them, have no idea they're there, as the rising and rolling hills and sharply cut zigzags of loosely strewn rock conceal both streams and I imagine wildlife just as well as a forest full of trees.? The water of the streams has a unique color, not the dark blue of a big lake, but a blue-green that is hard to read.? The water we saw was often rippled, moving fast, and there was nothing to indicate depth by appearance.

Just outside Cody, there is a sign saying, "Cody Shooting Range".? ?I wanted to go back later and check it out but didn't.? Looking at the terrain, I imagine if you wanted to discover what your rifle would pattern at five miles, you could.? A few days later, when we left Cody on US Hwy 14-16-20, I was happy to see another sign, this one telling us there is a "Cody Archery Range". Judging from the road, I'd hazard that elevated practice is possible without the need of a platform, although I can't verify that, since the presence of a range is enough for me.

We stayed two nights in Cody at the Irma Hotel, built by Buffalo Bill way back when.
There is a restaurant-saloon attached to the Irma, named after William Cody's daughter, and the cherry wood bar, or shelving behind it, were a gift from the queen of England.? Tin ceiling, wood booths, tables in the middle, shoulder mounts of buffalo, mule deer, a moose as I recall, and paintings, one big enough that I'd need to remodel the house to make a wall big enough to hang it on.? Fifteen rooms of the Irma are remodeled Victorian style.? Our room was newer, front corner, and about fifty Harleys were parked outside the window.? The toilet had a flush box mounted on the wall six feet up with a chain and a wooden pull.? Yes, we took a picture, with the paper tape still attached to the wooden seat.

Every evening at 6, the Cody Gunfighters enact a shootout just off the porch of the Irma, in the street.? Characters that look like Buffalo Bill, Wild Bill and about 8 others entertained about 200 tourists from all over.?

Off to the west, there is a nightly rodeo for most of the summer, and worth seeing, including a five-year-old barrel racer who knew how to ride a Wyoming SUV, four legs, saddle, reins, loaded, with attitude.

Further west is the Buffalo Bill dam, the highest dam around, when built, way back when.? Worth seeing.? And another indication of how the terrain hides things.? While at the rodeo, I had no idea there was a stream almost within throwing distance that runs between two hills with a gap between, to the west of Cody.

In Cody, there is the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, a complex of museums that would take a week to enjoy thoroughly.? The firearms museum had somewhere around 3,000 items on display, tagged and explained, including the arms that defended the birth of our nation and every arm since then that has been used to define who we are, as well as the arms they have gone up against.? There is also a Japanese-made Garand, one of about 200, discontinued due to poor workmanship and I suspect a testament to the idea that sometimes it is easier to conquer than it is to rule.? A day isn't long enough to take it all in.

When we left Cody, we took US Hwy 14-16-20 east toward Greybull, my wife taking pictures every fifty feet of the scenery.? The road between Greybull and Burgess Junction, US 14, and the views to either side is breath taking.? My wife created an additional brake on the passenger side of our rental, somewhat primitive and Flintstones technology, but understandable.
Shell Canyon is a "scenic area ahead" with numerous and comical signs announcing it.? We had a memorable moment when my wife began shrieking after I headed off across the other lane toward a scenic area without announcing my intentions.? This was a watershed event in our life and I've since been instructed in the finer art of spousal relations and communications.

The route passes through, over, around, and back again on the Big Horn Mountains, the road engineers outdoing themselves, providing the traveler with a multitude of perspective of each scenic area though I'm still not sure which way one should face when viewing the area. While stopped I turned in all directions trying to determine which way I should be facing, snapping pictures the whole time, and after a period of study, I'm confident I'll be able to come back and say what it was, whether it was that sheer wall of rock rising and falling a jagged thousand feet or more off to the left, or that Ponderosa pine covered valley and hill off to the right, or that whitewater rapids and waterfall a couple hundred feet down below disappearing around a tall hallway of cut rock and shadows.

Coming down the eastern side of the Bighorns, we had a close encounter with what I believe was a mule deer.? Her ears were bigger than the whitetail I'm familiar with, but like the deer here, the encounter happened when a semi, the only one in all of Wyoming, was coming the other way.? So of course, all three of us had to meet at what may have been a scenic area, neither one of us being able to ponder what direction we should be facing as we were all busy trying to avoid bumping into each other, congestion, Wyoming-style.? As I made a graceful maneuver past the mulie, the mulie responded in kind by gracefully avoiding the front bumper of the semi, a Kodak moment.? This is life.

US 14 connects with I-90 north of Sheridan and we headed east on 90, passing through Sheridan, Buffalo, mountain views to the right and smooth hills rising and falling for miles to the left.? ?Traffic was light, 75 was the posted speed, one of the few times I drove below the limit--there's so much to look at--and we stayed on 90 through to Gillette, where we started to devote time to the other reason for our trip--scouting Wyoming for a potential relocation.

But not on an empty stomach.? We stopped at a Perkins, lunchtime, and at a table nearby, a couple ladies, actually one, was talking about water.? And government.? And regulations.? And changing standards.? And housing.? And buying a house.? She'd had an offer three years ago on a house, and within hours, there were three offers behind her offer, and five minutes before a possible closing, another offer came in, higher than her offer, and she had to find another house.? The restaurant was hopping, and by all accounts, so is Gillette.

Outside, I bought a day-old newspaper that says it's the "Wednesday Evening, June 28, 2006" edition of The Gillette News-Record.? One headline reads, "Gillette ready to relax rules on RVs."? Sub-titled "They're not allowed now in mobile home lots, but that could change to ease restrictions during a housing shortage."? ?Sounds hopeful.? I'm a second-generation carpenter, self-employed since July 10, 1989, and I'm tired of Michigan telling me how to go about my business.? Finding work may not be a problem for me in Gillette, finding a place to stay to begin to grow may be a problem, may not be a problem.? The classified section has 2 ads for roommates wanted.? Another has a 2001 camper for rent, a 26-footer, w/utilities included.? Another ad has four displays for mobile home spaces.? Ad section #025 has a 3-br, 2 bath, 2500 square foot mobile home w/22x30 attached garage, nice yard, and storage shed for $1000 a month.? There's a clean 3-br in Antelope Valley, no pets, for $800 a month, and there are several ads by larger outfits.? There's at least 14 homes listed for sale, one with wheels, and another 14-15 ads for mobile homes for sale with one request for a mobile home wanted to rent included.

The jobs available are varied and plentiful enough that most would find a lead worth pursuing.? I parked in front of a store offering Western wear and I used the cell phone while the wife explored shopping potential.? Several ads for construction-related work. The phone of one roofing company ad was answered by a person who said they didn't have to lay anyone off last winter and that they are looking for help often.? Pay is "DOE" short for depending on experience.

When I was younger and so much smarter than I am today, I traveled far, with what I owned packed in a car.? Finding work was always easy.? Head out, find where they're building, follow a loaded lumber truck if necessary, stop at job sites, walk up, and introduce yourself, nail-apron in hand.? Although some looked at me like I had ill intentions toward their breakfast cereal, or they possibly questioned my slender build, others looked at my worn nail apron and offered me opportunity.? Since then, I've married, my senses have dulled due to the obvious carrying capacity of my wife, and relocating will be a chore, a labor that seems lightened by the possibility of finding work, at least in Gillette.? I suspect that by now I'd have my first week under my belt and I'd be exploring the area this weekend and looking forward to my second week, if I was younger and smarter than I am today.

Before we walked into Perkins, I used the cell phone to call Jared, one of two that had communicated with me prior to departure.? It was right around noon, on the 29th, and Jared was home, took a moment to realize who was calling, and I felt slightly less anonymous in the rush that is Gillette.? Anyway, I wanted to touch base with someone from the site and Jared seemed the most willing to oblige.? Thank you, Jared.? He answered a few questions I had and provided some direction for our next move.? We left Gillette and headed east on 90.

Shortly after crossing the Campbell and Crook County line, we arrived in Moorcroft, where the daughter of the sister of a co-worker of my wife lives in an RV parked in the yard of another friend, there for awhile, living in the RV until they find suitable housing.? Prior to departure, I'd learned of others from here who are there, mostly names that are related to other people I know here, most in construction-related work, although the people in Moorcroft and Pinedale have other occupations.

We went back to tourist-mode for a trip from Moorcroft up to Devil's Tower, a truly impressive site, visible for miles, probably 13 miles before you get there.? I did talk to a ranger or park service employee.? Most of the trees in the area are Ponderosa pine and there are a lot of them, along with an oak that does produce acorns. That's deer habitat to me, an avid hunter.? The porcupines chew up the bottoms of the pines.? This area of Wyoming has green ground cover, greener than out west, near Cody.? There are numerous crop circles along the drive, as well as occasional crop squares.? I asked the park service employee about CWD, or chronic wasting disease, and as I recall, he professed a lack of knowledge about the local area related to the disease, although he may have confirmed that no one, really, can say scientifically how the disease is transmitted.? A year or two ago, I was looking at come computer modeling software related to deer population info, and the designer of that software said that he thought someone in Colorado was going to publish an article in a scientific journal that would offer proof.? The disease affects deer populations, has ramifications even where the disease is not found, like miles away here in the U.P.? Politics goes hand-in-hand with the matter, and any government agency with natural resources as its tool, has found in CWD enough problem to justify expense and being.? Job security and potential grows with the disease.?

When we left the Tower, we headed south on a different route, US 14, to Sundance, in Crook County, home of Jared, jail site of the Sundance Kid, located near Sundance Mountain, a big chunk of ground that rises above the terrain, and like Devil's Tower, it has played a part in Indian culture.

This area of Wyoming is where I'd like to be if my wife and I make the move.? Sundance is a town with a population of around 1,000, says the sign.? Three, four, or five hotels, if you include a Best Western closer to I-90, the town rests just north of the interstate and the mountain with other hills rising to the north of it, hills covered with Ponderosa pine and other vegetation small and large, clustered and open, hidden and obvious.? There is a grocery supermarket, though I don't believe it is a chain, at least one small quickie mart, possibly a chain or not, and several restaurants, other businesses, including several real estate shops, only one builder in town, and one game warden who wasn't home when I called from the National Forest Service office on the east end of town.? There is also a public pool, my wife told me, apparently reading the information somewhere in our hotel room on a brochure.? My wife wanted to take a picture of a sign proclaiming Sundance the home of the Bulldogs, apparently the high school mascot.? She went to Hancock High School, another home of some local Bulldogs.

We visited briefly with one real estate agency.? The first one had a sign on the door, "gone to the bank and the post office, back in 15".? There are several subdivisions that are growing up around Sundance.? One, Sundance West, as I recall, has one lot left out of many, about 9 acres situated on an open rise with a view of Sundance Mountain, for around $70-75,000, firm, with city water and I believe sewer, the city water, for sure, was an accomplishment that the real estate agency was amazed that the developer, apparently from Casper, was able to accomplish.

This subdivision was larger in area than any subdivision I worked in while in Florida.? Not a 40-acre plot, more like a several hundred-acre plot, and most of the lots are undeveloped.
One builder in Sundance, and judging by what I learned from the real estate agency, potential is there.? Often, around here anyway, one builder builds a home in a location and usually gets a crack at any home built nearby.? Word of mouth is good advertising, but a well constructed home is even better. A potential customer could drive the gravel road of Sundance West as it winds around the hills and gulleys and at times see many of the homes already there, at other times only see a few, the others hidden by the varied terrain, clusters of trees and long grass, where we saw Mama Turkey and one young and where numerous deer fed near the treeline.

Nearby, seemingly not a part of Sundance, is a cluster of homes on small lots called "Vista West," as I recall.? What Sundance West lacks in developed properties, Vista West makes up for.? Vista West is also on the road to Warren Peak, a short drive from Sundance where on a clear day it's said you can see 4 states and the Big Horn Mountains to the west.? You can also see numerous deer on the drive up, no semis that I recall, although several dirt haulers were busy below passing through Sundance West.

Up at the top of Warren Peak, I called Jared again, again around noon, this time on Friday, the 30th of June.? He seemed less surprised to hear from me, he invited us down from the mountain, where we could see a promising looking land, and we discovered that we had been within yards earlier while we visited with the real estate agency.? Jared can attest to our lack of technological savvy.? He had offered his knowledge to transfer the contents of our photo card so we'd have more capacity.? I thought we had about 20 shots left.? Turned out we had about 98 shots left.? Even now, after all that, the camera tells me we have 78 left, this after taking about a hundred shots since visiting with Jared.? Go figure.? ?He also had a list of 5 or 6 properties available in Sundance, possible first stops or steps toward something bigger and better, or not, depending on perspective.

I didn't get answers to all of my questions in Sundance.? The game warden wasn't home, though I have a number and an address and he should be able to provide additional information regarding the rules for hunting and fishing in the area.? I do know that you have to establish residency for a year before eligible.? I don't know if you'd be able to buy an out-of-state license even though you may have moved there to reside.? I suspect pervious perceived "problems" and political solutions, aided and abetted by those who find solutions to problems, real or imagined, by inhibiting the activity of others.? This is life.

Regardless, seems like living in or around Sundance would be a short trip to land that is accessible--national forest--if nothing else, and one possibility is better than none, and I suspect further investigation and questions would provide answers, just as continued travel and observation of the land provides sights like hidden streams that aren't at first seen.? ?The two ladies at the National Forest Service office provided a handful of written information.

It was a short trip, there was plenty to see, more that could have been seen, but a rewarding first trip.? My wife has 10 or 15 days in September open.? She's wondering where we should go, second-guessing a planned trip to Las Vegas.? I know where I want to return to and I don't think it would take a lot to make it so.

We left Wyoming on I-90, heading to Rapid City, from which we departed on Saturday, the 1st of July.? Prior to leaving we drove around that area, up the hill to Mount Rushmore, where I turned around once I saw the faces carved in stone, time was short, and to that other rock carving, in progress, Crazy Horse, where I talked briefly with an old Indian selling his books in the building holding Indian artifacts and the like.?

I asked him what does it cost, one of his books I held, called "Mitakuye Oyasin" or "we are all related" in English.? He pointed to a piece of paper on the table.? $10.? I gave him a Hamilton and he signed the book, A.C. Ross, Ehanamani (Walks Among).? Shake my hand, he said, and I did.? We talked briefly.? What is your name?? Walt.? Walt, where are you from?? Michigan, I replied.? Where?? The Upper Peninsula.? I spent my honeymoon in Escanaba, he said.? An Indian word, probably, I don't know what it means. Probably something to do with water.? I thanked him.? He turned to the others passing through.?

Perhaps the next time my wife and I pass through Wyoming there will be others from the Free State Wyoming movement who will be available to meet us.? Jared has been there for a little over a month, there from Washington; he was one of two, who replied directly and by PM, though he offered a contact number without being asked.? So we made contact.? ?Jared shook my hand; he shook my wife's hand.? My name is Walt.? My wife's name is Bonnie.? Thank you.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »
Sounds like you've been bitten by the Wyoming bug, Walt. :)  I'm impressed you did not find it "too dry", considering where you are coming from. Some people would have trouble making the transition.

What's with the nym "Fred Rogers"? Trying to confuse me?

Fifteen rooms of the Irma are remodeled Victorian style.  Our room was newer, front corner, and about fifty Harleys were parked outside the window.

Cody is hosting a big get-together of the Hell's Angels; perhaps those Harleys were part of that. Creating a bit of a stir among the local folks...

I've sat in that same room of the Irma Hotel. A lot of history around there, considering the time has been so short.

Sounds like your wife is on board for this move. That helps. ;)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 07:58:28 PM »
I'd been looking at maps of Wyoming since the '80s and although I failed to make in '84, the future looks promising.? The alias, "Fred Rogers" is from Molon Labe, the page number was posted somewhere up above, and I was reading the book when I found this site after finding a link on archie's "home page" at FreeRepublic, the first member listed there among Wyoming "freepers".

Call me Ginger.? Reminds me of the spice, and the gal who knew how to dance.

Forgot to mention one of the last mornings in Wyoming:? I'm sitting at an open window in the hotel room, the curtins opened enough to provide light for reading, when I notice movement outside.? I felt right at home.? One of them female jackalopes was outside, bebopping around, snacking on grass and a robin (Michigan's state bird) was nearby, shopping for worms.? My back yard garden has been under attack by the Michigan version of the jackalope, seven bagged to date, and this is in town.
I've had robins nesting in an empty dog kennel.

Any potential move is fraught with anxiety.? Sundance became more appealing to my wife the longer we were there.? The bulldog mascot had a familiar ring to it.? Her work situation would, no doubt, improve there as would mine.? I'm glad I found trees.?

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 11:18:31 AM »
Walt and Bonnie, I so enjoyed reading about your recent trip to Wyoming. Sounds to me as though you are both meant to be there. Thank you for taking the time to write about your adventure. This will help others see, through your eyes, what Wyoming has to offer. There is so much to see in Wyoming,and it could take years to see it all, so you should get moved out there and take many short trips.

If Bonnie has time I would love to hear her impressions of Wyoming.  Would you ask her to write about the trip, what she sees are the advantages and possible disadvantages from a womans point of view.   Thanks again !!    Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
I'll do that, Miles, and thank you for asking.? This move would be a major step in our lives and if I can enjoy my down time, as much as I can here, the transition would be easier.? Our trip opened my eyes to the possibilities that are there.

As far as the terrain is concerned, anyone who doesn't visit the area during their lifetime is missing out.? Big time.? Such incredible views.? I felt like I was on another planet and we did get a chuckle out of the "scenic area ahead" signs. I guess that's better than say, "widened shoulder for viewing" or something along those lines.

There was one other person from this site in Cody, Barry I believe it was, who sent a message prior to our departure and we missed out on meeting him. I assume it is a him.?

And since coming back, I've looked at other threads here and it looks like there are others I could have met with had I looked at everything that is written here.? Oops.?

I'll have the missus compose her thoughts about the trip.? I won't tell her to say anything about the great pictures of the rearview mirror she took, a few that included shots of our camera.? She is talented.

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »
Hi Folks,? ? ?

My husband and I just got back from a tour trip across the northern part of Wyoming. Wow, what a great place to explore. I was the photo taker while my husband was driving and did I capture some great moments. The best ones were taken while driving and I was able to snap some wonderful scenery that included side views of my husbands nose, the rear view mirror, the dash and even some showing the camera in the side view mirror. Those are some of my favorites. But, I did manage to get some beautiful photos of the awesome scenery also. I am so glad for that as I want to put together a photo album of our wonderful trip.

We landed in Billings, Montana on the 27th and since I collect silver collectible spoons, the first thing I did was head for the gift store to purchase one of Montana. We then rented a car and it ended up being a brand new Ford Taurus. It was a great start to our trip knowing we were going to be comfortable as we drove across the state. We headed first to Cody and spent two days there. What a place to visit. The museums were great, the shopping was great (got my collectible spoons), the Irma historical motel was great but my favorites were the Cody Night Rodeo and the Buffalo Bill Dam. We found T-shirts at the Dam that said "My Dam Shirt" of course we had to purchase some.

From Cody we headed East and what a drive! The mountains were awesome. Scary drive at times but the scenery was great. We stayed in Sundance and I was able to get some swimming in at the motel pool and that was my favorite thing in Sundance. The town had some very friendly people. I was trying to picture us living in Sundance, as my husband would like to move. When I seen the sign that said "Sundance" "the home of the Bulldogs" I did feel at home as I graduated from Hancock, MI which is also "the home of the Bulldogs".

I work at a bank and I only saw one bank in Sundance so I worry about finding a job that pays well. The girls at the motel were making half what I make here in Michigan so that makes me worried about moving. We need to visit again (in Sept) to get more info about jobs and housing (renting) possibilities before we can decide. But, I did love our trip and what an experience it was. I know my husband is packing already, so we will see what happens in the next year or so.

Bonnie.

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 11:25:18 PM »
It was a pleasure meeting both of you, thanks for stopping by.
Those are some fantastic write-ups - makes me want to move to Wyoming all over again! ;)
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 09:52:21 AM »
Bonnie, thanks for taking the time to write to us about your trip I am glad you enjoyed it and glad to hear you two will be making another trip. There is a lot to do and see in Wyoming, so many tee shirts - so little time.  :D  I don't know if you and Walt have seen this thread ?

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?board=6.0

There are several postings about traveling in Wyoming , and some of them have insider secrets of things to see while on tour in Wyoming.  You guys should post yours there too

So ,what I would really like to hear from you is, what you think would be the pros and cons of making the move to Wyoming. Do you think that it is a place freindly to the ways of a woman ?  I think there are many women who see Wyoming as a backwards place, nothing but cowboys and indians, not enough civilization.  Now that I think about it maybe you and several others would be nice enough to start a thread about moving to Wyoming, the good and bad of it, from a womans perspective ?  Might be of help to some others who have not been to Wyoming yet and are worried that their men are going to drag them off into the wilderness.  :o Thanks again !!

Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 06:47:05 AM »
September is here and the wife and I will be heading out tomorrow, 9/11, for another look see in Wyoming.  Big state, lots to see, not enough time, but we'll be in the eastern third of the state poking around, probably stop and say hello to MamaLiberty and see if we can help with her stove.  After our first trip was over, I thought of all kinds of questions and I should have made a note of them because they all escape me now.  I imagine answers will be found and we'll learn more.  We're looking forward to exploring eastern Wyoming from the south to the north, Lusk, Torrington, possibly Douglas, Newcastle, and Sundance (again). 
Walt