Author Topic: hi y'all  (Read 8979 times)

Offline John Corry

• Social Type
hi y'all
« on: February 14, 2006, 07:51:14 PM »
I just wanted to introduce myself and let y'all know I'm here.

I read Molon Labe a few weeks ago and at the end was just...inspired, or something. I mean, why couldn't it work? Really, it's just a matter of numbers. Somehow, I have to believe there are enough sick and tired, fed up, wanting-to-be-free Americans out there who would be willing to make the kind of lifestyle change we're talking about to pull it off.

I figure all I can do is be one myself. Then I start talking to my wife about it all and we are having a hard time getting past how cold it is, how deep the snow gets and how cold it gets. :'(

I'll keep working on her. Unfortunately, the way current events are, the direction the world is going in is helping me to make a case.

The Republicans have totally abandoned me on issues I thought were important (smaller gov't, less debt, less spending, more personal freedoms) and their slide into statism has had me thinking about this stuff more than at any other time in my life. This closer self-examination has sort of revealed to me my own 'libertarian' ideals (if that's what it means to just wnat the gov to leave me alone, take as little of my $$ as necessary and quit interfering in the lives of people here in our country or nations abroad). It's been a really wonderful ride and I am excited to see where it leads (unless the future includes ATF tear gas cannisters crashing through my windows in the middle of the night  :o).

Anyway, I am currently in flight school, working toward my commercial/instructor certificates and enough experience to get a flying job. We moved to Georgia from Hawaii last year, wanting to be closer to family and to 'cash out' on our home there (the way things have gone, we would've made GOBS more money by waiting another year to sell...but hey, can't think like that can we?).

It'll be about 18-24 months before I have enough experience to realisitically hope to fly anything for anyone. We know we hate it here and want to leave. Carie is from NM and we really want to be out west, near mountains...so maybe there's a place for us in WY. I know that all of the charter/air freight/corporate flight dept. companies will be getting my resume and follow-up calls as soon as I'm qualified.

Any FSW members need a pilot, by chance? :)

Ironically, about the time I started reading Molon Labe, I also discovered the RWVA and bought my first battle rifle (a beautiful SA M1A with a bunch of mags and a big box of mil-surp ammo!!). I have been to the range with my rifle a few times and am looking forward to the RWVA Appleseed Clinic at the Ramseur, NC range next weekend! I'll try to take some pictures to share with y'all.

That's my story, I look forward to getting to know you all and am really glad you're here. You can join me in praying for an opportunity to take our next step into Wyoming.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
Re: hi y'all
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:55:22 PM »
neoncowboy, thanks for this post (and for your high praise of ML on TCF). 

Yes, it's really a matter of #s.  The formula works:  e.g. all those poor states infested by outside liberals.   

The worse things get nationally, the more brightly Wyoming (etc.) will shine.  An organized mega-scenario outlined in my novel is a stretch, but not even that is required for many of us to only increase our own respective freedoms, but also increase the freedom of Wyoming as well.

You mentioned in passing the cold and snow.
Quite exaggerated, really.  It's not Alaska or Minnesota.
And there are some rather temperate parts, too.
The NE corner has very mild winters (for the Rocky Mtns).

Yes, we'll need pilots!
Wyoming is the 9th largest state...

Keep in touch with us, and we hope to see you here in a couple of years.

Boston

Hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:47:45 PM »
It's cold and snowy in Wyoming? Ya got to be kidding!
Wind? what wind? :D ;D
Guess who?

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:57:15 AM »
I figure all I can do is be one myself. Then I start talking to my wife about it all and we are having a hard time getting past how cold it is, how deep the snow gets and how cold it gets.

I too have this issue with my wife, who grew up in Hong Kong.  :P

A few points about that.

1) The winters are balanced by the wonderful summers in Wyoming, which does not get so blasted hot and humid as so many places in the country.

2) You get used to the winters, to a large extent. Humans are adaptable. Wyoming ain't Wisconsin! (where I grew up)

3) There is this high-tech item called "clothes". Invest in some good ones.   :)  There are also nice things like electric blankets; I tend not to have them on while in bed, but like to turn them on before getting into bed to warm it up. We also warm two rocks on the wood stove, wrap them in towels and put them in bed by our feet. Ummm, toasty!   :D

4) Winters don't matter much when you are inside the house or at your work (unless you work outside). What percentage of the time do you spend outside, after all? For that small percentage, see item 3 above. Winter is a matter of heating fuel bills, more than it is of being cold.

5) You can garage your car to keep things a little warmer, use block heaters, etc.

6) Winters are also good at helping keep the bug population reasonable, I think.

7) By the way there ain't that much snow in many parts of Wyoming; take a look at Cody for example.

8 ) If you are retired, you can always be a "snow bird".

9) Nothing prettier than snow on the mountains, something you won't find in Mississippi. (view out our front door)

When looking for homes, look with winter in mind. Traditionally (as far as I can see) Wyoming folks have put their homes in sheltered places. Lately it seems a few people have taken to sticking them on top of ridges (someone once called that "a wart on God's nose", or something to that effect) which has to double the fuel bills...

"No house should ever be on a hill or on anything. It should be of the hill. Belonging to it. Hill and house should live together each the happier for the other."
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:21:56 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline John Corry

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »
Thanks for that! I have been looking at the map and notice 2 communities that are particularly interesting:

Cheyenne is a reasonable commute to Denver and right out in front of the mountains! My wife, while hating freezing cold, desperately wants our next home to be in the mountains out west (how's that for fickle?). I will be working as a pilot, probably on call a good bit of time. I could reasonably live in or near Cheyenne and get to Centennial, Jeffco or Front Range airports within an hour or so. That's pretty encouraging!

Then there's Evanston, which looks to be a reasonable commute to SLC (assuming one can make it over the pass).

Cheyenne especially is within pretty quick range of Greely and Longmont...in-laws present in both of those locales.

I'll bet Cheyenne attracts the kinds of folks who make use of corporate/personal aircraft...and thus will need to hire me to fly them around.

OK...I know where to look when the time comes.

Thanks! Awesome photo Paul...breathtaking view! I want one of those!

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:24:37 AM »
Well, Cheyenne isn't exactly in the mountains.  :)  It's out in the prairie.

Here's a thread about Wyoming weather:
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=18.0

Actually, while Cheyenne is not known as the warmest spot in Wyoming, Torrington, pretty nearby, is more so.

Offline John Corry

• Social Type
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:16:32 PM »
Hm, looks like decent sized mountains about 30mi WSW of Cheyenne.

I guess I should have said 'convenient to' Cheyenee rather than 'in' Cheyenne.

I'm more of a rural dweller myself: I like being somewhat close to groceries, cafe's, etc...but out a ways where there's peace, quiet, privacy and natural beauty to be enjoyed in solitude.

Pretty typical of most folks around here, it sounds like.

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 01:36:42 PM »
Anyway, I am currently in flight school, working toward my commercial/instructor certificates and enough experience to get a flying job. We moved to Georgia from Hawaii last year, wanting to be closer to family and to 'cash out' on our home there (the way things have gone, we would've made GOBS more money by waiting another year to sell...but hey, can't think like that can we?).

It'll be about 18-24 months before I have enough experience to realisitically hope to fly anything for anyone. We know we hate it here and want to leave. Carie is from NM and we really want to be out west, near mountains...so maybe there's a place for us in WY. I know that all of the charter/air freight/corporate flight dept. companies will be getting my resume and follow-up calls as soon as I'm qualified.

Any FSW members need a pilot, by chance? :)

I'm a former NorthWurst ramprat, ground security coordinator [pre-09/11!] and A&P trainee. Expect you'll  have to build LOTS of hours, but Wyoming isn't a bad place to do it.

Just out of curiousity, do you happen to know anything about these folks? http://www.afia.com/handp.html You might want to at least check 'em out, though low-timers is not really what they're looking for.
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline Sgt.Slappy

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm new here myself. I do slightly know neoncowboy though... we met at a RWVA event. I share many of the same sentiments that he does about the current state of things in this country. PA (where I live) keeps teetering on the edge... it's way too close to Jersey, and sooner or later it may end up just like that "utopian paradise". I need to get away while I can! I would also like to move to Wyoming... It's an awfully far move for me though. I'm not married, single in fact, and many of you would say - "well there you go: perfect opportunity for a single guy!" Not really. No job prospects, no idea of where to even begin to look for a place to live... and no support network of family or friends. I'm a self-sufficient, do-it-yourself type guy, but this sort of move is going to be more than I can manage all by my lonesome. I hope by reading through this forum, and asking the right questions, I can point myself in the right direction.

How do the opportunities look out there, for an electrician?
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them on the landing grounds, we shall fight them in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight them in the hills; we shall never surrender. <br />-Winston Churchill-

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »
Geez, Slappy, are you kidding?  :)  If I were in your shoes I'd be in my car tomorrow. Wyoming is in a boom, including construction boom. Might as well take advantage of it! Just aim for Gillette (or even better, Crook County if you can handle little towns and the Gillette commute) and start there. Live in your truck like everyone else does  :D  From your base there you can look around and see where you want to settle next, if you still have the itch to move. You have to like the prairie though - Gillette is smack in the middle of it. Like a rolling ocean, but green...

Look around this board, there are lots of pointers to jobs and such. That's what we're here for!

I never understood why so many people make a big deal about moves, but I guess that's because I've moved many times, including multiple moves cross country and even a bit in Europe, so I'm pretty used to it. The trick is to look at it as an opportunity rather than a pain. An opportunity to get out of your rut, to dump stuff you don't need, etc. An adventure.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:37:25 PM by Paul Bonneau »

Offline John Corry

• Social Type
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 07:21:56 PM »
Expect you'll  have to build LOTS of hours, but Wyoming isn't a bad place to do it.

The way it's looking, I will be able to work for a year or 2 here before we move. That's good, since I have a GREAT job and good opportunities for building experience here.

I'm planning to work here until I have some solid part 135 experience under my belt, then start pestering a few companies and flight departments in WY for a job.

One thing I learned from our move to Georgia: have a job you are moving to! There are a couple of companies in WY that look promising for me...so we'll see.

Offline John Corry

• Social Type
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 07:23:10 PM »
Geez, Slappy, are you kidding?  :)  If I were in your shoes I'd be in my car tomorrow.

I know...that's what I told him.

Gas money + about $500 and I'd be on my way (If I were single, of course).

appaloosablue

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »

I did the leg work for my electrician husband and would be more than willing to share some leads.? With one day of faxing resumes to 3 electrical contractors he was phone interviewed by 2 and formally offered a job by one in the span of 4 days.

Browning Electric? phone# 307-689-5163? fax#307-685-6587
Intermountain Electric? phone#307-362-1417? fax#307-362-1453(Rock Springs, big outfit with 5 location, benefits)
Boyle Electric? phone#307-332-8139? fax#307-332-1535(Landers, talk with Michelle, benefits)*desparetly looking to hire--turning away work
Kalcon Electric? phone#307-745-9650? fax#307-745-6368(Laramie, fax resume Attn: Buz)
*Electricians of all skill levels needed for industrial project in Wyoming.? Contact Dennis at 307-371-0040"--this was in the Cheyenne newspaper.

In less than 5 days my husband was offered a job.? So our family(he will go up now) will be relocating as soon as our house sells.? This will include 6 kids, 4 horses, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 1 wife that may need a valium when all is said and done. :D

Offline Sgt.Slappy

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 10:42:25 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info! You rock!? ;)

I won't be able to move until I successfully "de-crap-ify" (I mean my stuff, not me)...? :D We'll see, soon enough!
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them on the landing grounds, we shall fight them in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight them in the hills; we shall never surrender. <br />-Winston Churchill-

Offline Daveasxx

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Voting Wyoming resident!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 10:52:22 PM »

Are you kidding me!?!  I'm sure that you already know that an electrician is the highest paid profession that doesn't require a degree.  It pays more than most degreed professions.  I'm an aviation electrician (electro-mechanical really) in the Navy.  Any mine will be wanting your services!!!!  Any power company will beg for you to work for them!!  There are many in Wyoming.  Coal, wind power, oil, nuclear...   Your services are PRIME!!!! for Wyoming!  Just move!  Electricians are in high demand everywhere!

Dave
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."? Johann W. von Goeth