Author Topic: The 300! The 1st 300 FSW Moving Members  (Read 84936 times)

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
Re: The 300! The 1st 300 FSW Moving Members
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »
from Mac:
Yes, I know several people who were on the forum, came to WY because of the forum and FSW, and no longer participate. They used it as a tool (a good one) to get here, and now are living the life they wanted and no longer have the time or interest in continuing to chat about it! But they are still the same folks they were when they came.
Very true, and I've noticed the same thing.

And Paul's comment about not having/wanting a counter touches a chord with me.
Also, I certainly don't want any division between FSWers from when they signed or moved.

The only way I'd see The 300 working for all, is that being counted in it is up to the FSWer.
However, since many FSWers probably wouldn't want to be included, it would dilute the
power of the odometer.   Hmmmm.  Maybe this just won't work for us?

Boston

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »
Also, I certainly don't want any division between FSWers from when they signed or moved.

My earlier thoughts on patches and the like were about honoring the first 300 as prime movers who did the most to get the ball rolling, and secondarily to use that to encourage others to come early and be part of that.  I think it can be done without causing divisions, but I see where your worry comes from.  The more I roll this around in my head, the more out of tune with FSW values it starts to look. I love the symbolism of 300, but my last comment to maxx crystallized those doubts for me, as did Paul's pointed use of the word "census". 

And, in the end, we all know who deserves the honors for being prime movers without having to be told.
Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »
Count me out of any census, lists or special status. Divisions are already present among us. Sure don't need such an artificial reason for more.

We're all just folks here and need to keep it that way.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Social Type
    • nhliberty.org
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »
I'm really starting to like the idea of 300 pins being created, followed by the die being broken.  As one of New Hampshire's first 50 movers, I would gladly pay for a silver pin made for the first members of this effort.  Would there be an artificial division?  Perhaps, but since it's something like the first 300 movers to both move and voluntarily buy a pin (to help support the Wyoming movement) I don't see any problem with it.  It's strictly voluntary and allows the individual to make a statement to others, that they are committed enough to the cause of liberty to throw their entire life into the back of truck and move to The Western Frontier at the drop of a hat, with no hesitation.

You folks who are on this forum, who are reading this from a computer in the western free state, I view as every bit as committed to the cause of liberty as anyone in New Hampshire.  I have the utmost respect for every single one of you, and would gladly pin any one of you with a badge announcing to the public your undying commitment to the ideals of the American Revolution.  You folks are as deserving as anyone who has packed up and moved to ANY free state.
nhliberty.org Learn how to affect legislation to make your own state freer.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »
With promotion to get people here, I see an conflict between "shouting from the rooftops" and maintaining privacy.

One reason the New Hampshire people have the numbers they do is because of their "out, loud and proud" social networking TRUMPETING of their mission, their events, their faces, their personalities, their arrests, photos of them on their front porches, etc. They have a radio show, podcasts, a full-time almost-daily video blog on YouTube, and I think they even take out print and radio ads in other states. But I think the main thing is their willingness to "put their faces out there."

However, if anyone whipped out a video camera at Wyoming events or get-togethers, some people would step out of the frame, and others would probably say "turn that off!"

I don't know that you can have it both ways. (And I know....this is coming from a recluse who loves to put himself out there on the Internet.)

Just a thought.

I think that having people have to sign up to use the forum lowers the Wyoming numbers too. It's not like it's protecting any information, anyone can make a sockpuppet, and even pledge, to get full views of all users' info (Hell, I moved to Wyoming, and I still can't view my friends' profiles on here!). But having to sign up just to read stuff, and (having to pledge to edit your own typos) comes off as a little off-putting to newcommers. Might be time to take a look at that policy, if more movers really is a goal.

I liked Paul's comment about "no census" too. Though I knew he'd say that. Seriously. I can always know that no matter what the topic, Paul and MamaLiberty will pipe in to take any "government" out of it. Always.

And I like that about them, even being a minarchist myself.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »
He he he... Paul USED to be a minarchist too...

One minarchist at a time...  >:D

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »
"Smart Democrats become Republicans.
Smart Republicans become libertarians.
Smart libertarians become minarchists.
Smart minarchists become anarchists.
Smart anarchists become Paul and Mama."
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Social Type
    • nhliberty.org
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »
Honestly, I think that the liberty pin is probably better for Wyoming folk than the pledgebank.com proposal.  Folks could sign up there anonymously, but a pin could both raise funds for fundamentalsoffreedom.com and allow folks to show their pride in being one of The 300.  That would be even more anonymous because the seller could simply say, "We have just 123 pins left," and folks would know the meaning of that.  There's no name attached to the pin, and you can even trade silver coin for a silver "300" pin.  Who has to know the meaning of this?  No one but the wearer.

This may be good for the New Hampshire effort, too.  I might bring this idea up with folks, here.
nhliberty.org Learn how to affect legislation to make your own state freer.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »
Max, you begin to sound like a politician.  ::)  One of the obvious options is not to DO anything at all about pins and membership numbers, etc. That's what I'm going to do. YMMV

Offline dr1best

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »
Well as a newbie here in the Peoples Republic of Michigan, I know this..
I yearn to wake up and breath the free air, far away from the domestic squables of the Republicrats, the UAW, the new taxes Granholm wants to shove down our throats, the bla bla bla. It doesn't seem to me if the number is 300, 3000, or 300,000. Critical mass is.
The important point is - what is required to achieve critical mass.
True story. How did I learn about your org? THE NATIONAL REVIEW? WEEKLY STANDARD? TALK RADIO: MIKE CHURCH, ANDREW WILKOW, ET AL?
Nope.
After growing absolutely sick and tired of the ongoing national debate, all of which only validates the fed usurpation of power (i.e. if  we debate over how much you can screw me, we've already validated that you CAN screw me), I had this brilliant idea. Move to a state with a population small enough, freedom loving enough, that it wouldn't take that many like mind people to get off the runaway bus and make a real change. And that's how I found this org. And it's people like that we need for critical mass
Succisa Virescit

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »
I was looking to move somewhere less "california" than California for years. I had done all the number crunching and research I could, and narrowed it down to five states, one of them Wyoming.

Then I bought the book "You and the police", read it in one sitting. Got to the last page, saw the URL for this site, logged on, and nine months later my wife and I were living in Wyoming!
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline Rich

• Cowboy Up, Or Go Sit in the Truck!
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »
Welcome and I see that we think alike!
Fantastic! Glad to have you aboard.

Rich
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."  "Sec Def Rumsfeldt"

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »
So, back to promotional ideas, FSW NH is doing a fundraiser toward getting more people there:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=19130.msg227803#msg227803

On October 1, the Free State Project aims to raise $20,000. The funds raised will directly support the Free State Project's public outreach to achieve its goal of 20,000 participants. We're nearly half-way to the goal, folks--and I'm crossing my fingers for 10,000 before the end of 2009! Every dollar helps spread the Free State Project's message--that's how many new participants find us. So we're asking for everyone's support to spread that awareness.

We're very excited about the coming year, and we'd like to recognize the generosity of donors: they make the Free State Project possible. Therefore, during this event, for a generous donation of $100 (and for every hundred thereafter), the donor will receive a 1 oz. FSP silver round as a token of the FSP's sincere appreciation. Minted in .999 silver, it's a great piece that truly embodies what the Free State Project is all about. (And no, you cannot buy them separately!)

Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »
Yes! Welcome dr1best!
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline FSW Forum Administrator

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 05:21:57 AM »
Been there. Done that.  ;D

Boston had some FSW coins minted a few years back. They sold out a long time ago. Bought a few for myself and was given a beautiful, polished mint-condition one by Boston.

So, back to promotional ideas, FSW NH is doing a fundraiser toward getting more people there:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=19130.msg227803#msg227803

On October 1, the Free State Project aims to raise $20,000. The funds raised will directly support the Free State Project's public outreach to achieve its goal of 20,000 participants. We're nearly half-way to the goal, folks--and I'm crossing my fingers for 10,000 before the end of 2009! Every dollar helps spread the Free State Project's message--that's how many new participants find us. So we're asking for everyone's support to spread that awareness.

We're very excited about the coming year, and we'd like to recognize the generosity of donors: they make the Free State Project possible. Therefore, during this event, for a generous donation of $100 (and for every hundred thereafter), the donor will receive a 1 oz. FSP silver round as a token of the FSP's sincere appreciation. Minted in .999 silver, it's a great piece that truly embodies what the Free State Project is all about. (And no, you cannot buy them separately!)

Thanks,
The Management