Author Topic: Is FSW really any different than 'The Free State Project' ??  (Read 11610 times)

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
Re: Is FSW really any different than 'The Free State Project' ??
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »
I never said my strategy in typing class 'worked'. :D  I got a couple of 'friends' out of the deal, but that's about it.  Oh, well.  It was fun and no brain strain.  Besides, engineering REQUIRES typing skills.

No harm no foul, I didn't find anything offensive what so ever.  I'm a long fuse guy anyway Cheesy  Speaking of voting for Kennedy I talk with people from MA daily and they "not only have never voted for him but don't know anyone who has".  Go figure.

Thanks.  On Kennedy:  Does that answer surprise you?  My Repub friend in MA used to say the same thing about Kennedy and Kerry.   Suspect a lot of the 'votes' for those guys are from Boston and the Eastern part of the state. 

You're not alone in the 'convincing the wife' issue.  My personal approach has been one of inform, inform, inform.  She liked AZ to begin with so the moving part of the battle was already done.  She just gave the green light to ID/MT/WY a few weeks ago.  ;D  Now the burden is back on me to get it done correctly.  That's were FSW comes in.  Network, network, network.

We were going to move/retire to AZ, but it has changed markedly in the last 20yrs, so it is likely out.  Remote, and I mean remote, chance of Northern AZ above the Mogollon Rim, but it had been 'discovered' and land prices are up.  It is also feeling the effects of drought with many wildfires.  Prescott is possible, but the same is happening there.  Very little work up there also.  The work is all in expensive Phoenix.

Welcome aboard!

So that leaves ID, MT and WY.  Frankly Wy has the best chance at finding an Engineering Position.
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline zallen

• Rather Interested
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 02:06:50 PM »
I've been married for 17yrs as of this past Saturday.  Love my wife dearly but sometimes........she can be........exasperating.  Finally have her convinced that "a law for everything" is not a good thing.  She's even come around on the gun issue (though I still can't get her to carry even though she has "The Permit") ::)  I have a feeling she thinks of me and my opinions as "cute".  Hard to discuss issues or current events because she just has no interest. 'Can't change it anyway, so what's the point?'

All in all she's coming around though.  Maybe we can move on my 40th anniversary!!!! :-\
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Ben Franklin

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
-Winston Churchill

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »
zallen, glad to see your posts here.
I hope you've found the exchange helpful and interesting.
Perhaps we'll see you at the Jam?--
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?topic=3143.msg26567#msg26567

from sjhipple:
I think the two organizations are different and both very useful.  Although I have my concerns about both of them (for those of you that didn't read my other post, I'm the director of web advertising for the FSP...full disclosure).
Welcome here; I appreciate your comments.
Both orgs are different and useful.

While I (and most other FSWers) do not place huge faith in the
highly leveraged political scenario of the FSP, we are all free staters
and can learn from each other as we attempt to slow/confound tyranny.

Boston

[/color]

Offline zallen

• Rather Interested
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
Boston I'm truly honored.  I've been a fan of your writing for a long time.  I would be thrilled to meet you at the jam.  Unfortunately going as a family was resoundingly shot down in my house, but I think I might try to go by myself anyway.  I think I might even be able to drum up a like minded friend to come along.  I'll do my best. 

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Ben Franklin

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
-Winston Churchill

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »
Great!  Hope to see you there.  It'll be a hoot.
Your family will want to attend with you next year!

Thanks for the kind praise. 
Bring your BTP books and I'll sign 'em.
(That goes for all readers, btw...)

Boston

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 09:30:46 PM »
As an Eastern newbie, I must ask, what "Western ways" do you speak of and how are they different than "Eastern ways?"

Ha ha, seems like my old comment stirred up a discussion.  :)

Bobcat hit some points, in the general sense. Maybe went a tad overboard in places, as he noted.  ;) But when I made that comment about western ways and eastern ways, I was thinking of the split in the FSP forum prior to the vote. There was a clear point-of-view thing going on there, maybe hard to describe in words but very real.

One thing is that Easterners seem to depend more on organization to get things done, with different people working in well-defined roles. The obvious example is the structure of FSP versus the non-structure of FSW. Out here everything is very informal, things get done but it is more through personal trades of this for that. Everyone seems to know everyone else.

While I too had some of the negative experiences that Bobcat had with the east coast, in my travels, I think it was more a big city thing than an east-west thing. I found lots of nice folks back east to work with.

To an easterner coming here, I'd have maybe a few points of advice. Worry about your reputation - things get around in the small towns we have here. Be easy-going and easy to work with. Cut the bullshit (unless you are telling a joke, in which case lay it on) and games, that goes over very badly here rather than rolling off peoples' backs as perhaps happens back east. Have a sense of humor. Like people by default, rather than being suspicious by default. Take things slow (I like that old John Wayne saying, "Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.") Spend more time listening than talking, another way of putting it. Being a fisherman and a hunter and a gun nut takes you a long way out here; and if you aren't yet, being willing to learn is almost as good. And drive a pickup.  :D  But don't drive it two feet off the bumper of the guy ahead of you...

Others here might want to throw in some more tips.

Anyway, in these bits of advice (however useful, be your own judge of it) you might see some differences between an eastern and western way.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:40:29 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline TreadNotUponMe

• Rather Interested
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 10:05:05 PM »
sjhipple, hopefully I didn't 'incite' a riot ;), unless it would be riotous laughter at me. :D? ::)

Ha ha, no I didn't take any offense.  I was actually saying that I thought your observations were good ones...because they matched me to an extent.  That was all  :)

Offline TreadNotUponMe

• Rather Interested
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »
Free Staters seem to be more interested in arguing the semantics of Libertarianism than in actually getting anything done.

??? FSPers have gotten 20 of their members elected to political office in NH.? I'm confused how you could say that.? Although, I must admit, there is something of an inquisition when it comes to libertarianism...it is something of a purist organization.

Perhaps just my own paranoia, but I hope I didn't sound negative about the FSP.  I'm actually a big believer in both of these organizations.  All I was *attempting* to say, is one of the differences I've noticed (and propogated) is that the FSP is overtly libertarian and many of the members relish that image and see that it's continued.  No negativity meant at all.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 11:25:38 PM »
Paul, thanks for saying it much better!

Could well be my opinion was heavily seasoned by most of my time in cities and the fact that many times I was sent in as a 'troubleshooter'.  It sure is different out East...  I found that I really had to watch my back in making gentlemen's agreements.  My copious notes and shared trip reports fixed that in spades.  Just life on the East coast.  I could relax a little in other parts of the country.
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
from sjhipple:
Although, I must admit, there is something of an inquisition when it comes to libertarianism...it is something of a purist organization.
I anticipated that back in 2003, and have tried to minimize such here.
A libertarians-only free state org simply will not get the necessary numbers...anywhere--NH or Wyoming.

We take in all types under our SofI, hence the occasional friction and poutings.

To me, it's more important that FSW members become good Riflemen vs. perfect libertarians.
Such was born out in 1775-1781, and some variant of repeat is more likely than our sweeping the national ballot box.

Boston

Offline zallen

• Rather Interested
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2007, 02:22:37 PM »
While it's true there will always be disagreements the key is to work towards a common goal.  Personally if everyone involved in FSW were all lockstep Libertarians I don't think we'd be any better off.  I used to consider myself Republican - than just Conservative - then Libertarian - now I consider myself individualistic enough that I don't feel a need to pigeon-hole myself. 

At first I was quite upset at a number of "Libertarian" principles but I listened and found myself agreeing with most. 

-Ben Franklin

-Winston Churchill

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 11:05:52 AM »
Here's an interesting blog entry about FSP. I see a lot of differences myself. FSW just doesn't have the organization or the political agenda.

Real Deal on the FSP  http://www.libertyforall.net/?p=653
Posted in LFA Flashback by R Lee Wrights on May 11th, 2007
by Mike Ruff

FSPThere are a number of misconceptions about the Free State Project running rampant on the net.  I hold no office with the FSP, but I am a member with a good understanding of the project and its goals.  I propose to correct these misconceptions, both in a probably futile attempt to clean up our image some, as well as in hopes of inducing a few Liberty-minded folks who were unsure about the project to get off the fence and join us.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Gerri

• THE GOLDEN RULE
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
People, people. people!
?
Humans on this lovely Planet Earth continue to fascinate and challenge me as a mature Christian ...58 years ago as a child convert at only 7... a long-time Born-again Believer in the Lord Jesus Christ as the only Savior of mankind and the Christ, the Son of the Living God...Creator and Almighty God...and spirit-filled (as in the Books of Acts)...ordained minister and yes, I guess a Christian Zealot. In over 54 nations...I have seen and know much about challenging human facets and true lack of freedoms.?

Nothing really frightens or bothers me anymore with my eyes and attention fixed..."Front Sighted" on Jesus...the very Word of God!? ?Christ is truly the Captain of the Armies of Heaven...and we frail little humans worry?? He is the very Lord of Freedom!

Everyone, every creature wants freedom...even my dear pets and Arabian horses!? Just leave a door or gate open and they will prove it over and over again. Look at the roots of a pot bound plant and it too, wants freedom...free room to Expand, Grow and "Bloom."

FSW is a wonderful plan and a very possible plan for EXPANDING, GROWING and BLOOMING!
Glorious Wyoming is a perfect state in America to EXPAND, GROW and BLOOM!?I love being a part of this family of neighbors who love Wyoming too. Some of you I have met and some are future blessings to come.
I look forward to moving to Wyoming for the very last move in my life. My personal will states that Wyoming  is where I wish to be buried.

I am not an officer or any special person of power/influence in this FSW group...I am just a female Fellow Lover of Freedom and love the FSW western lifestyle as you do. I love owning/shooting my many guns, free speech and voting. I love neighbors who treat each other with affection, dignity and respect...who obey the Golden Rule of life.

Who cares what is being said or not said in blogs, meetings and articles. Like will attract like!? What is that to you in your plans for relocating to a freer physical location?? The stronger the persecutions that come will just confirm that you are on a right target in your plans...laugh about it!? Move forward!

Just early this morning while still in my bed praying and worshipping,? I thanked God again for my "new future ranch property, new home and new place for my animals" ...in wondrous WYOMING...a place to expand, grow and bloom!? I am still in beautiful Utah for a short time, but all of the financial plans are coming into order to make my final move to Wyoming in the Lord's perfect timing.? But, I am free right now and fine right now! I am living in the "Joyful Now of my Freedoms."

Jealousy from other groups, political "wise" thinkers, fearful people and controling organizations are just part of the human flavor...and somtimes it is an odor!? Anything that keeps you bound...unfree... is not in your best interest!? ?Anything that keeps you from expanding, growing and blooming is not the best plan for your life...but this can change because you can change it!? It is also against the very Creator of Abundance!!!? Abundant Life!!!? (Read John 10:10) Most of our bondage is from inside our own heads!  America is still the most free and blessed nation in the history of mankind.  I confess daily that Jesus is Lord over America!

Some of you will agree with joy and gladness in my message and some will think that this is jut too "religious" for this posting and on this forum.? I really do not care about public opinions, applause or approval anymore!? Truth is always truth...history will prove it and eternity will certainly prove it.

Please know that Christianity has never been a religion...it is a love relationship with a Creator Father and His "blood bought children"...brought out of captivity...brought out of bondage...brought into Perfect Freedom by the sacrifice on the Cross by the very Lamb of God...Jesus Christ.

I was truly set free at 7 and see this fact very clearly now...whatever happens in the future of America, Wyoming, world politics, world economies, strange armies, evil and creepy leaders, deaths, terriorist attacks, prisons, financial disasters or even concentration camps with many deaths as in the past history of mankind...You can only be truly free within!?  You can only die one time. ?

The physical happenings and locations you yearn for are but the added contentment in the physical realm...like the Apostle Paul and also Jesus and many others, learn to be contented where you find yourself Right Now...things can change, but what and who you are inside is the awesome key!

There is nothing to stop your plans to move to Wyoming.? You have only your life to live and give an account for at your death.? Enjoy each day where you are Right Now!?

Get past the rantings, rumblings and threats of any other human on this planet or any other organization...plot your course, set your compass, trim your sails and believe for God's winds to take you forward!

You can and will get to where you are Free...in your thoughts and beliefs!? Inside and outside!

With prayers and blessings,
Gerri

Offline Seniortech

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
I like it Gerri
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline Chris

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
I love your attitude Gerri!

;D  ~W~  ;D

Chris
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.<br />-Unknown