Author Topic: Moving to Wyoming! Enough yackin' about it, we're DOING it.  (Read 34669 times)

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
We made the decision. Yesterday. Debra Jean put in two weeks' notice (a big move, she's been at the same firm for 15 years. But they love her and are tearful that she's, and several lawyers there are happy to give her great recommendations. Which will help.)

She brought home a copy of the letter they had her write, (her "official" two-weeks' notice.) I wrote "A+++ on it in red ink and hung it on the fridge.

May 18th is going to be a new annual holiday for us. "Wyoming Day." The day we decided for sure. We're moving there before snowfall this year.

We're visiting your fine state for ten days in early June, driving around, picking our town. then coming back, packing up loose ends and just DOING IT. Moving. 100%.

I want to thank all of you for being so helpful and encouraging. Especially Boston, for doing all the actuary demographic work, and for being a nice guy, and MamaLiberty for saying "Welcome" when I first got on this board, and again and again since. And everyone else we'll meet soon and be neighbors with not long after.

(We will unfortunately not be there for the meet up in late June, we'll be back here kissing SoCal goodbye. And yes, we're gonna shoot our Cali license plates with our shotgun after we get Wyoming plates.)

Yay! More freedom and lower taxes! Bison! Friends! Snow! Guns! Wide open spaces! Yay!

Michael W. Dean
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline DebraJean

• Reader
    • RADIO FREE NESTLANDIA - The Voice of a Two-Person Nation in Wyoming
Re: Moving to Wyoming! Enough yackin' about it, we're DOING it.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »
Daddy, I'm so darned happy!  ;D  ;D  ;D

The way I feel right now, I wanna shout my freedom from the rooftops!

I'm not sure if I made this clear last night: Quitting, moving, this whole new start thing, which I NEVER could have done without you, has made me feel younger, freer, happier, like I have so much potential, like WE have so much POTENTIAL, that I can hardly stand it! 

I feel no binding committment to anyone but you, a feeling I can't remember having in decades! This has allowed me to loosen the ties I still allowed myself to have to my job, to the past, to this house, to some silly people, to whatever California held for me over the decades, - letting me be free to chase down whatever moves us, interests us, and makes us happy.

After loving me, this may be the greatest gift you've ever given me.

Thank you!

I adore you!!!!!

Debra Jean  ~W~
Howdy! I'm Debra Jean, wife of MichaelWDean.
====-
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
What sweet news!
And, you'll be here "In Wyoming" in time for the Freedom Exposition in June.

Oh, please post your SofI online at the forum.

Thanks for being a part of the FSW!
I'm excited to meet you both in your new home state!
 ~W~
Boston

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:16 PM »
What sweet news!
And, you'll be here "In Wyoming" in time for the Freedom Exposition in June.

Oh, please post your SofI online at the forum.

Thanks for being a part of the FSW!
I'm excited to meet you both in your new home state!
 ~W~
Boston

Can't make the Freedom Exposition, will be back here tying up loose ends. We're visiting in early June, then trying to move in July or August.

We had decided not to take the pledge, just movin' there to be good neighbors.

I mean no disrespect by not pledging, I don't like pledges. I could expound on that, but basically, it's just a personal thing.

(Don't know if that makes this posted in the wrong place, this thread says it's for Prospective Free State Wyoming (FSW) Members and Interested Parties, we're Interested Parties. There was no thread for "affiliates" or anything like that, so I figured "Interested Parties." We're very interested in the FSW people, want it to spread far and wide, we just ain't really pledgers.)

cool?

Respectfully,
MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline Andrew

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »
That's great news guys!

I know that I was so excited to know that moving to WY was finally going to be a reality.  Honestly, I'm not quite sure that it has completely settled in yet.   Sometimes I still catch myself driving down the road thinking that there is no way that I really live here!

If you happen to past through Sheridan or Buffalo, give me a shout.  I would be glad to show you around.   I'm going to be in Texas for a few days at the beginning of June and then at the Appleseed shoot in Newcastle that first weekend.  Otherwise I should be around.   PM me for info.

Godspeed,
The Count

Offline Bigduane

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
I feel shamed by Michael and Debra's action, and my lack of same. I started hanging around on the forum back in October I believe, a good 2 weeks at least in front of them. But they are moving first. I shall reevaluate my life over the next couple of days. Maybe I can move now as well. I have been lazy for far too long.
 Congratulations to Michael and Debra ( dont forget the cats!! ) ::)
 Bigduane
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:43:32 PM »
I'm VERY envious!  I, too, am heading out the the NE corner of WY at the end of May to scope things out and looking forward to it!

Best of luck!
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
I feel shamed by Michael and Debra's action, and my lack of same. I started hanging around on the forum back in October I believe, a good 2 weeks at least in front of them. But they are moving first. I shall reevaluate my life over the next couple of days. Maybe I can move now as well. I have been lazy for far too long.
 Congratulations to Michael and Debra ( dont forget the cats!! ) ::)
 Bigduane

There's no shame in dealing with life on life's terms.

I think what did it for us was thinking about something DJ's dad always quotes, "You can't cross a chasm in two small leaps." That and MamaLiberty being from SoCal and saying that she didn't wait to do it completely comfortably, she just did it. I think if we waited to be comfortable, we would never do it. In the meantime, SoCal is getting worse and worse with crime, even the small town we live in, which never had much crime, has lots now. Violent crime, too. (And two earthquakes in the past two weeks may have nudged us a little, too!)

And re-reading "Surviving Y2K (and other lovely disasters.)" Reading the part about how when the SHTF, "I'd rather be among the snow people than the sun people." SoCal is a powder keg warming on a skillet. And all this crazy "Mexico war on drugs creeping north" stuff ain't making me too comfy here. Even though we have a really comfy situation here (good jobs, benefits, good house, good neighborhood), and it was hard to leave.

Bigduane, you're somewhere in the south east, aren't you? I think the comment in "Surviving Y2K" is something about how it will turn into a race riot about two weeks after the welfare checks are cut off. Having lived in Charlottesville, VA and in New Orleans, LA, that sounds about right to me.

I was looking at numbers on the NH FSP. They have like 700 people in the state and like 5000 pledged. I'm thinking "what's up with that?"

I'd rather "vote with my feet."

Again, no shame in not moving yet. But if our choice puts a little more coal on the fire under your butt, then yay!  ~W~  :)

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »
That's great news guys!

I know that I was so excited to know that moving to WY was finally going to be a reality.  Honestly, I'm not quite sure that it has completely settled in yet.   Sometimes I still catch myself driving down the road thinking that there is no way that I really live here!

If you happen to past through Sheridan or Buffalo, give me a shout.  I would be glad to show you around.   I'm going to be in Texas for a few days at the beginning of June and then at the Appleseed shoot in Newcastle that first weekend.  Otherwise I should be around.   PM me for info.

Godspeed,
The Count

We'll be at Newcastle Appleseed too. June 6-7. See you there! Look forward to meetin'.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »
Another bit of crystal ball thought: If the rest of the country collapses economically like it looks it might, and job seekers may realize that Wyoming is one of four states in the black, folks may move there a lot more quickly then they do now, strictly for survival, not for freedom.

Rents will go up. Jobs will be filled (as well as probably created.) Good deals on home purchases will be scarcer (until more homes are built). etc.

We want to be set up there, not getting set up there, if/when this all happens.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »
Michael and DebraJean, I'm sitting here with a big case of the happy sniffles reading this. So darn happy I could split something. Can't wait to give you both a big Wyoming Mama Hug... and any of the rest of you who come too, of course. I've got an endless supply. :)

The Appleseed should be a blast!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Bigduane

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »
Yes I am in Louisiana and yes it is a racial powderkeg. Those who live in the northwest may not have heard of the Jena 6 but I was out there with a TAC team. I went into New Orleans after Katrina with the TAC team and I know how bad it was there. I dont want to hurt anyone but I dont want them to hurt me ethier. I may have to just get up and go to Wyoming one day soon. I wish I was going to Appleseed in Newcastle.
 Bigduane
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline DT

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
Cheers!

Hope to see you guys when we get there, too.  :)

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »
Michael and DebraJean, I'm sitting here with a big case of the happy sniffles reading this. So darn happy I could split something. Can't wait to give you both a big Wyoming Mama Hug... and any of the rest of you who come too, of course. I've got an endless supply. :)

The Appleseed should be a blast!

Shucks! thank you.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »
Cheers!

Hope to see you guys when we get there, too.  :)

Yay!

Any idea on when that is?

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.