Author Topic: Moving to Wyoming! Enough yackin' about it, we're DOING it.  (Read 34872 times)

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
Re: Moving to Wyoming! Enough yackin' about it, we're DOING it.
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:43 AM »
Very exciting news!
Thanks for moving to Wyoming!
Casper FSWers take note.

Boston

Thank you!

We met up with six of the Casper FSWers for an open-carry restaurant lunch, then went shooting. Great folks, new friends. Looking forward to seeing y'all again soon.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »
We're so eager to be gone we're having to pace our packing so we don't box up everything we need to make it through these last few days days before we're scheduled to go.

As a Marine brat and a Navy wife, I've moved more than I care to remember. One thing we always did, however, was pack a "survival box first. In there was the coffee pot,  some coffee, sugar, snacks, necessary paperwork, a hammer, screw driver, matches, light bulbs and such like that might be very necessary for life on both ends of the move. When I had children, that grew to two big boxes. One for the move and essentials for adults, one for toys, food, etc. for kids. Those boxes always went in the car with us - last in and first out. Made a BIG difference when faced with a mountain of boxes deposited by the moving van - ESPECIALLY when the van was delayed. I could tell you stories...   :P

The real celebrations, though, will be shredding the Kali drivers licenses and taking the shotgun to the license plates (tip of the hat to you for a fine example there).

You just let me know if you want some help with that. I've got a few .45 slugs I'd be glad to contribute to the effort. LOL Makes much more impressive holes than a shotgun, I'd think... but it might be fun to compare. Heck, my old plates could stand a few more holes for that matter. We could prop them up against a good backstop and really enjoy ourselves. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »

... One thing we always did, however, was pack a "survival box first. In there was the coffee pot,  .... ESPECIALLY when the van was delayed. I could tell you stories...   :P

Yeah, we're thinking about the logistics now. Going to pack the mattress and coffee and T.P. last, would need that, at least, for the first night and morning when we get in late at night.

Van won't be delayed, because we're driving it there (and towing the car). If the van's delayed, we'll be delayed with it!

love, liberty, guns and cats,
MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »
Might be fun to hang something in your back window as you drive out: "I'm done with Kalifornia!" or something to that effect.

Also, you might hang those bullet-ridden tags in a conspicuous spot. People will get a chuckle out of them.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
Well, we'll need them to drive out. But are going to the DMV in Wyoming first week there.

I wanna hang the shot-fulla-buckshot Cali tags on the front porch, DJ's opting for the back patio (which is lovely, will be nice for hanging with our new friends, and already has decorative antlers.) I think we may split the difference and put one on the back, and one in the front room window, facing out.

We are being gentle about appearances, at least at first, as we've rented a house in a very suburban neighborhood inside town in Casper. Don't wanna scare the neighbors too quickly, as this may be the house we die of old age in (we like it and may buy it). I want to get two flagpoles and hang a Gadsden flag and a Wyoming flag out front, but we'll probably do a USA flag and a Wyoming flag. We already have the Wyoming flag. Open carrying in this neighborhood, which we'll do, will probably elicit a "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" response from homeowners. There are Neighborhood Watch signs there.

The house here is nearly packed up, we're just watching days click by until Sunday. Went today and did three "California things" before leaving: I got a tattoo (wife's name in a heart), we got Thai massages, and then ate sushi. Just woke now from the post-endorphin nap.

We are as happy as kids waiting for the start of summer. Happier.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
Packed boxes and not-yet-packed cats:

Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 12:35:25 AM »
Might be fun to hang something in your back window as you drive out: "I'm done with Kalifornia!"....

Isn't that in You and the Police, in a section called "While driving, try to attract as much random attention as possible"?  :D

I would LOVE to ride out of town blasting loud music and flipping the bird as I do it, with a banner that reads "SCREW Y'ALL, AND ENJOY YOUR FAILED SOCIAL EXPERIMENT" across the back of the bobtail truck.

But I think we'll try to slip under the radar. We're driving a big truck, towing a car, and driving through 4th of July weekend/Michael Jackson funeral traffic, on a day that might include riots and martial law, if the Gov. makes good on his threats to mail out IOUs to welfare recipients.

I'll sigh relief when we pass into Utah, and kiss the ground when we hit Evanston.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 07:04:54 AM »
You may well be surprised to find that your new neighbors have nothing to say about your guns. Just go about your business and forget about it, but be prepared to answer questions in a positive manner if some tourist asks. I can always tell the tourists and some new transplants. They're the only ones who even seem to notice!

And you've given me an idea. I need to display my old plates more effectively. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 07:36:13 AM »
Yeah, it would probably be wise to drive out with a low profile. Still a nice fantasy though.

I almost always carry openly, also around my neighborhood. I'm still waiting for "the question" ("Why are you carrying?"), but it never comes up. Once in a great while someone asks, "What caliber?"  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »
MWD,
If you should happen to get a ticket on the way out of town, you might consider paying it with an IOU! Today CA is starting to issue IOUS because they're FLAT BROKE because of their social programs. Turn about is fair play, right?

Mac
Ps. Good luck on your trip. Drive safely.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »
.. I'm still waiting for "the question" ("Why are you carrying?"), ....

"So I can fight my way back to my rifle" probably wouldn't be the good answer, or what I'll answer, but it would be the fun answer.
 ~W~

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
MWD,
If you should happen to get a ticket on the way out of town, you might consider paying it with an IOU! Today CA is starting to issue IOUS because they're FLAT BROKE because of their social programs. Turn about is fair play, right?

LOL!

We were going to pay our state taxes early to be "done with this state", but now that the IOUs may happen, we're gonna wait until April, because if they owe us any, we'd never see it again. Will pay Ceaser his due, when it's due. Not estimated pay early to "clear our plate."

A very accurate and kind description I heard recently of California was "a failed social experiment." I like that, and am going to use it.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline elk

• Needs To Get Out More
  • We never had to take any of it seriously, did we?
    • Downrange TV
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
A very accurate and kind description I heard recently of California was "a failed social experiment." I like that, and am going to use it.

Don't fret, its not the "only" failed social experiment.  Apparently Fabians, Leninists, Maoists, Marxists, Monarchists and Democrats always try to experiment on other people's hides, and apparently, they always spew such silky rhetoric about how nice it is to have "government services" or "free services for everyone" but they forget that NOTHING is free.  Everything is paid for by someone's effort.

And eventually Atlas shrugs, and the freebies stop... they all fail to ask... what then?

For example, Commiefornia chased Atlas out (I still salute Ronnie Barret for telling them to stuff it where the sun don't shine and stomping off with his operation.)  Now that Atlas shrugged in Commiefornia, the freebies have, predictably, run out.  Good riddance to bad rubbish, as the quote goes.

Personally I'm partially excited and partially worried, but mostly worried because electronics and electrical components are fairly hard to come by, unless one guts integrated products.  Repair shops and repair parts suppliers are getting VERY rare out here.

I'm curious if components suppliers are any rarer in Wyoming, not per capita but per area.  Any ideas?
Trading privacy for security is stupid enough; not getting any actual security in the bargain is even stupider.  ~ Bruce Schneier of Cryptogram fame (www.schneier.com)

Remember always that the only thing they required of us was our moral sanction. You lost when you accepted their moral code.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »
Michael, just remember, if they pay their debts with an IOU they must be willing to accept an IOU for payment as well.
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
Michael, just remember, if they pay their debts with an IOU they must be willing to accept an IOU for payment as well.

One would think it would work that way. But good luck and anyone who tries it, let me know how it works out for ya.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.